Browns QB Deshaun Watson Has New Charges Brought From Alleged Oct. 2020 Assault

48 minutes ago, ET80 said:

keep him inactive and take the escalating cap hits until his deal is done. 

The hits are the same but yeah. 73 million in 2025 and 2026.

That's the price you pay when you hitch your buggy to a known... whatever you want to call him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Wonder if the Browns had info of this accusation coming out and restructured his contract in the hopes it would/ could be voided.

No, it hurts that, not helps. It increased the signing bonus which they are probably taking the hit for either way, at least pro-rated. It would have been better as salary that just would have went away if it were voided. So at best, if pro-rated, it would cost them 22.5ish million more now (if they make them pay 50-60% of the signing bonus, as in when he was still rostered).

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

No, it hurts that, not helps. It increased the signing bonus which they are probably taking the hit for either way, at least pro-rated. It would have been better as salary that just would have went away if it were voided. So at best, if pro-rated, it would cost them 22.5ish million more now (if they make them pay 50-60% of the signing bonus, as in when he was still rostered).

If they have just cause to terminate/ void the contract, is there a path to pursue some of that money for "breach of contract"?

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If they have just cause to terminate/ void the contract, is there a path to pursue some of that money for "breach of contract"?

Yeah, they could make (try) him pay back the actual money since he already received the signing bonus money but it wouldn't change the fact that what they pushed into 24, 25, 26 and 27 would still count against the cap either fully or the percentage of time he was on the roster (my guess). So he has been on the roster 42% or so as of now so they'd probably have to pay 42% of the signing bonus (134.4 million). Pay meaning being charged against the cap. They've paid about 53 million through this year. If they count this as a full year then they would owe 60%. So probably like a 25-30 million hit. If they wouldn't had restructured that number would be much lower, like 45 million from the total (what was converted from this year's salary to a signing bonus).

If they make them eat the whole signing bonus but don't have to pay the voided salary years it would be about a 80 million hit which is about what he counted against the cap next year anyway (an extra 7 million). I'll take either scenario to get him off the roster.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

"In a statement released Wednesday, Buzbee said he reached out to Watson's attorneys for months to resolve the matter privately."

That is nuts they could have just settled this, probably pay her a few million like the rest and have it never be brought to light and they decided not to....  Really curious about the video but it could be just security camera footage of Watson entering her apartment or something, still at least that is proof he was there potentially.

His reputation is already tarnished, so he probably didn't care much about it coming to light.  As long as he gets to keep the money, I doubt he even cares if the Browns and/or NFL suspend him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

His reputation is already tarnished, so he probably didn't care much about it coming to light.  As long as he gets to keep the money, I doubt he even cares if the Browns and/or NFL suspend him.

What I find odd is that Rusty Hardin wouldn't strongly recommend against not settling in private. Like... Did you NOT remember the crapstorm?

Unless he let Hardin go - which would be an equally stupid decision on his part.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

What I find odd is that Rusty Hardin wouldn't strongly recommend against not settling in private. Like... Did you NOT remember the crapstorm?

Unless he let Hardin go - which would be an equally stupid decision on his part.

I don't think that would be something an attorney would be allowed to keep from their client?

Then Watson, who claims to have done nothing wrong in any of the cases, would make that final call.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If he has no contract (because he acted in a way they can immediately void it), how could they put him on any list?

I'm saying they don't void it right away, leave him on the exempt list, and allow the cap hit to be spread out. 

16 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

The NFL is not going to give a crap about dealing out justice to the Browns or anyone else. They are going to want to do what is best for business, which is to make this go away as quickly and quietly as possible. Hammering the Browns and making them jump through hoops to even field a team is bad for business. It will hurt ticket sales, it will hurt TV ratings, it will hurt jersey sales. All the owners care about is making money. 

History is against you my friend.  It’s already been referenced here that the Patriots were paying for Aaron Hernandez’s dead cap after he committed suicide.  Not even death has erased cap space for someone like that before.  Second, Dan Snyder was bad for business, he hurt ticket sales and kept shrinking the stadium.  Folks paid attention less on TV.  Jersey sales for us were down, especially near the end.  But they knew what he was doing, and put up with it until the very end.  

You are also forgetting the crucial bit that the owners do NOT want guaranteed contracts, and are probably thinking of using this as an example to the rest of the league what happens when you make a mistake.  This contract was widely panned publicly and privately when it happened.  They’re not going to let the Browns off the hook for this one. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, squire12 said:

Wonder if the Browns had info of this accusation coming out and restructured his contract in the hopes it would/ could be voided.

20 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, no chance restructuring the deal saves the Browns $, they paid it up front and simply pushed the cap hit back.   If anything, Watson guaranteed more $ that the league/Browns can't get out of.

• Like 1

I legitimately don’t care about any salary or cap ramifications at all. I just want him gone, I want to be able to even remotely enjoy the Sunday viewing experience again (really says a lot being a Cleveland lifer), and I want to move on from this human underwear stain nightmare.

• Like 1