Week 2: San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, NFL Network said:

Two games and the same old Niner problems persist over & over again e.g. poor pass protection, can't rush the passer on 3rd down & can't cover on 3rd down sound familiar? Oh yea it happened in the SB. 

bro WTF are you talking about? the defense held the chiefs to 19 points in regulation.

if you can't beat 19 points in regulation you deserve to lose. 

Mahomes kinda sucked in the superbowl. Spagnuolo saved them

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ataal said:

On to the next game.  The Rams are pretty beat up and we seem to do well against them.  Not an easy game, but if we can get a rhythm going, we should be able to win by 10+.  

The Rams defense is very vulnerable- this should be the game for Aiyuk to pop off. The 49ers need to get right vs LA because the Patriots defense is pretty tough.. that game could be a slog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herodreamer79 said:

bro WTF are you talking about? the defense held the chiefs to 19 points in regulation.

if you can't beat 19 points in regulation you deserve to lose. 

Mahomes kinda sucked in the superbowl. Spagnuolo saved them

From the 4th-OT the Niners defense was trash in the SB as they had numerous chances to get off the field but couldn't close the deal. The offense was also responsible for the loss b/c they couldn't score TD's hence a recurring theme in big games for this franchise. 

26 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

kittle-kids.jpg

There's no way anyone will convince me that the little guy up front isn't going to be an undersized QB winging throws downfield with an "eff, someone down there somewhere" mentality like his dad. 

• Like 3

On 9/15/2024 at 11:50 AM, Forge said:

And that's just pure hope that they'll insert Feliciano into the starting lineup over [brendell]. No guarantee that they will 

I think Feliciano actually took snaps at center with the first team in his only day (or two) of practice with the 1s. 

2 hours ago, adamq said:

The Rams defense is very vulnerable- this should be the game for Aiyuk to pop off. The 49ers need to get right vs LA because the Patriots defense is pretty tough.. that game could be a slog

Agreed.  We need to right the ship, asap.  We have quite the gauntlet coming up:
Rams - Patriots - Cardinals - Seahawks - Chiefs - Cowboys - Bucs - Seahawks - Packers - Bills

I don't see a single "we should dominate this team" in the bunch.  Division games, tough defenses, good teams, etc..  

I mean, we beat up on the Cowboys last time, but you know they want to get that monkey off their backs.  I can see the game getting pretty chippy.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JIllg said:

I think that every really good team goes a bit stale at times. Definitely felt like that today. It doesn't help that we've had to narrow down the playbook for Mason. Or that more than half the league runs variants of our offense now - with better personnel often, given how poorly Deebo and Aiyuk are playing. But that's all kind of a nitpicky problem that may solve itself with better play from Aiyuk as he gets up to speed. We struggled a bit in the red zone and on critical downs, but overall moved the ball well enough to win.

On defense, things are worse. They've had great continuity over the offseason. They gave up a ghastly 8 yards a play and Warner barely saved them from a disgraceful thumping. I have serious concerns about our gameplanning and pass rushers other than Bosa. From the start of the week, I felt as though the play was blitzing and putting Darnold under pressure and testing his pass protection calls, where he has proven to be quite bad for his entire career. And our gameplan on defense felt like our default plan against any player. Mostly 4 man rushes and dropping into zone with some cover 1 man with Warner as the hole defender. And Bosa got his sacks (albeit on many fewer pressures than we are accustomed to), but the interior guys didn't win often against a porous Vikings interior.

It hasn't helped that Ricky P hasn't been physically able to contribute in some way.

He was drafted to take some of the slack off of BA in press-man situations and unfortunately, he hasn't had much luck staying healthy since becoming a Niner.

I agree with @J-ALL-DAY in that we need to add another element (Cowing) to throw at defenses trying to bracket BA.

I just don't trust Cowing's hands tbh.

I saw that muff coming since TC.

He was prone to some timely of drops in college and I really didn't trust his concentration as the pro game would speed up his reactions and create smaller windows.

But we need to do something because with CMC sidelined, Brock needs another outlet/safety valve that can help him when things get a bit muddied.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Rough, but this is looking like it did for us in 2020. Just happens that way sometimes, unfortunately. 

Stafford will look to get the ball out quickly but we need to play tighter coverage and not allow him to get those easy completions. 

So my Dynasty team has:
CMC
Pacheco
Kupp

Rought start. 

• Like 1

The backbreaker was that game sealing FG drive. Holy moly it doesn't seem to matter who our players or DC's are, we always seem to give up clutch 3rd & longs. We stop them at the end and i think we have a GW drive for an ugly win. 

Nothing we can do about it now, except clean things up going forward 

Also hurts that we gifted them basically 10 points with our INT & muffed punt....but we also took away 10 points on the Warner INT & FF so i guess it all evens out 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1