Bryce Young benched

game3525

Just now, redsoxsuck05 said:

Reminder that there wasn't some massive consensus among draftniks that Stroud was  the better QB prospect. It was really a matter of how much stock you put into Stroud's game against Georgia.

It's really hard to evaluate QBs on absurdly dominant college teams.

Virtually every CFB forum regular here hated Young as a prospect. The consensus on Stroud was split, but at least a little of that is because like half the CFB forum is OSU fans.

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Has a young QB ever been benched but then actually come back and done anything of relevancy?

This feels similar to 2014 when rather then work through growing pains of EJ Manuel, Marrone benched him for Kyle Orton to try and save the season - Bills were 2-2 at the time. 

Just seems like the Panthers should trade him away at this point.

It used to happen quite frequently in the 20th century. Terry Bradshaw, Steve Young, and Phil Simms just off the top of my head.

I am not some big Andy Dalton homer or anything. Couldnt really care less about him..... but alot of people are acting like he is some total scrub. This is a guy who threw for 361 yards 2 td and 0 ints in a start last year with the same Carolina team that Young could do nothing with. You can do a lot worse than Andy Dalton. Coach would lose the locker room if he didnt make this move. You cant continue to trot out Bryce to be a clown show with a historically bad offense when you have a much better and actual functional QB just sitting there holding a clipboard on your sideline. Thielen looked like he was ready to lead a mutiny himself a few times yesterday. 

Edited by Nbanflguy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nbanflguy said:

This is a guy who threw for 361 yards 2 td and 0 ints in a start last year with the same Carolina team that Young could do nothing with. 

Absolutely agree with your point but when you throw it 60 times, that’s not quite so impressive lol 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd just like to remind everyone that Joe Barry somehow managed to let Bryce go 23 / 36 for 312 and 2 tds last year. They had 4 TD drives, 3 of which were 70 yards or more, and another FG drive 

Dude should never be a DC again and we should all be offering another round of congrats to Packers fans for being done with him. 

Joe Barry was my favorite Packers Defensive Coordinator too. 😭😭

• Like 1

2 hours ago, game3525 said:

Drew Brees was benched several times in 2003 by Marty. It is rare, but a player can turn it around. 

Well, he also needed a shot in the *ss with the Manning-Rivers fiasco, a completely reconstructed shoulder, and a new team in a dome with one of the best short-passing/YAC systems of all time, so it's not exactly one size fits all. In the case of Bryce, I don't see it. He's so, so small it's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I'd actually argue his job is safe for now regardless of how bad this goes. If Tepper fires Canales after year one, nobody will want that job.

Is that David Culley's music!?

Imagine coaching Texans during Deshaun issue, one year fire, paycheck finally stops coming... go to work for Tepper for a year lmao constant paychecks as a replacement for pension

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nbanflguy said:

I am not some big Andy Dalton homer or anything. Couldnt really care less about him..... but alot of people are acting like he is some total scrub. This is a guy who threw for 361 yards 2 td and 0 ints in a start last year with the same Carolina team that Young could do nothing with.

Maybe you could do worse than Andy Dalton, but that stat line needs some context.  #1, he threw the ball 58 times.  That comes out to 6.2 Y/A, which in 2023 would have only been ahead of Bryce (benched), Mac (traded), Dobbs (got benched), and tied with Zach Wilson (benched, traded).  #2, the 2nd TD came with less than 2 minutes remaining in regulation when we were down 20-37.  #3, Seahawks had one of the worst defenses in the league last year.

He's also the 3rd oldest active QB in the NFL.  He should be better than someone like Bo Nix, but could very well still be one of the 3 to 5 worst starters.

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm sorry but no. Stop trying to defend this move. They had all offseason to move on from Young if they wanted to. Making this move 2 games into a season is a total panic move from a rudderless franchise. 

I get this move if they had like a deal with the Dolphins to trade him to replace Tua sort of a thing, like if the Dolphins offered a 2nd or something not knowing how long Tua would be out. Benching to bench feels more odd. If Dalton randomly wins 7 games, then what?

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd just like to remind everyone that Joe Barry somehow managed to let Bryce go 23 / 36 for 312 and 2 tds last year. They had 4 TD drives, 3 of which were 70 yards or more, and another FG drive 

Dude should never be a DC again and we should all be offering another round of congrats to Packers fans for being done with him. 

We still have a local radio guy who defends him here in DC lol

• Like 1