Best Angle For Viewing Football?

Small Town Values

Innovation vs Tradition  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your preferred angle for viewing football?

• Skycam View (Innovation)
    • Broadcast View (Tradition)
    • Other (Please specify)

If given a choice, nothing is superior to coaches film, and it's how I prefer to watch every game w/ it's All22 and goalline cams.

The true Broadcast view is similar to coaches film in that allows to see everything on the field. Where they mess the bed here is when they unnecessarily zoom in after the snap to the offensive backfield.

The Skycam is cool, but is also limiting in that it cuts out wide splits and perimeter play. It's also slightly nauseating in a motion sickness kinda way in it's movement. It's best left for replay views.

Given that the coaches film will never be available for live viewing, broadcast is the best cam for viewing football.

Maybe I could get used to it if I watched it a lot. But as of now I HATE sky cam. 

I have NFL Gamepass and coaches film really isn’t that great. A lot of the time you can’t even tell which player is which unless they have something that makes them stand out like dreads. If this is actually what coaches and scouts are using it needs modernizing. There’s a business idea for you tech folks 

On 12/31/2017 at 12:22 PM, lancerman said:

Sky Cam gives you a better sense of the blocking schemes, the receiver routes, the running routes and gaps. The broadcast view has an advantage in down and distance.

On 12/31/2017 at 9:18 PM, Jakuvious said:

Sky cam is better in most situations. As lancerman says, broadcast is better for down and distance, so I think it should still be the go to for goal to go or short yardage situations. Otherwise I'd prefer sky cam full game.

I agree with both of these. Skybox for the majority of the drive, maybe broadcast for 3rd down and redzone.

On 1/1/2018 at 9:06 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

I vote for the new FreeD view that they have started. The end-user technology may not be there yet but I'd like to have something like this in the future.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/freed-highlights/0ap3000000898878/Intel-FreeD-Top-5-Plays-of-the-Week-Week-16

I don't really see any advantage to that. Very flashy, but not very functional IMO.

No angle is perfect, but SC is easily the best, & should be the new default. 

All-22:  (Pros) - Wide angle fixed cam view of the entire field. Every player is accounted for, & in shot as play develops. Great for strategy enthusiasts, analysing offensive / defensive schemes & coverages.  

(Cons) - Too far away from the action. Individual nuances such as hands (Catching, deflecting, blocking & fighting in the trenches, etc), footwork / moves, mechanics, & adjustments can't be fully appreciated in All-22. The physicality / intensity of football is lost from this angle. it lacks the perspective to showcase just how large & explosive these athletes are.

Broadcast:  (Pros) -  Zoomed in close enough to capture many of the details lost in All-22. Majority of the time receivers are in shot (However, they often run out of shot). Best angle for down & distance, & in certain redzone / goal line situations. It's the default angle, so everyone is used to it.  

(Cons) - Entire field can't be seen. Certain players often aren't in shot, or run out of shot as play develops (Angle is particularly bad for capturing safety play). Not great for capturing the intensity / finer details of line play either. 

Skycam: (Pros) -  Best of both worlds. Great for analysing strategy / scheme. Highlights everything about QB play better (Pocket presence / awareness, progressions / vision, pressure, throws, mechanics, footwork - Both in the pocket & scrambling, etc). Showcases line play like never before. The trench battles are arguably the most exciting thing to watch from this angle. RB footwork - Cuts / jukes look ridiculous from SC. Safeties are always in shot. 

(Cons) - Receivers are sometimes not visible at the snap, but will run into shot. Perhaps not the best angle to capture short yardage / goal line situations. It would be harder to tell if the ball breached the plane of the endzone.       

Could never watch a game in sky view... If you want to scout players/teams it's the best view cause you can see the against formations schemes, route running, QB decision making... But watching a game as a fan the traditional way cause it's easier to keep track of down and distances.

Archived