Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think it is fair to argue the league as a whole...limited number of teams, different era/game...etc.  And that has merit.

But facts are facts.  Those GB teams were loaded with some of the All Time Greats.  Truly something special.

That 96 Team also has a fond spot in my heart.  Loved those guys.

I don't think Clifton was on that team, though.  Left tackle was Bruce Wilkerson, he came in for an injured Reuttgers.  Thinking Earl Dotson was our RT and a darned good one.  Thinking Aaron Taylor was a guard then?  Defense was anchored by that line.  White.  Jones.  Dotson.  Brown.  W. Simmons, Butler, Robinson.  

Thinking that was the year that Antonio Freeman broke an arm, played in a cast and dominated the playoffs.  Rison came over for some mid season help.  Keith Jackson was still a great tight end.  Bennett and Levens in the backfield?

Oh...and the punt/kick returner in Desmond Howard.

This post led me to crack open my Titletown Again book that recorded the '96 season.  That was a super solid team.  If not for injuries they probably would be considered one of the best teams ever. 

12 minutes ago, RedRaider said:

This post led me to crack open my Titletown Again book that recorded the '96 season.  That was a super solid team.  If not for injuries they probably would be considered one of the best teams ever. 

It's the only team to lead the NFL in offense, defense, and special teams. That team was amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I never really bothered to look it up, I think it was points scored on returns. Desmond Howard killed it that year.

That's what I assumed. Or highest average returns. I was just curious if you knew. 

14 hours ago, RedRaider said:

IIRC the stat that really sticks in my mind was that the defense led the league in '3 and outs'.  It allowed Brett to maintain his gunslinger style and kept the damage to a bare minimum.  Butler and Robinson operating behind Reggie and company was lethal.

Just now, TheBitzMan said:

Highly recommend listening to LaFleur on Pardon My Take, comes off as a great guy. 

Kyler Fackrell is a great guy.  I don't care if they're great guys, I care if they're good at coaching and making a team win Super Bowls.