Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

Likely doesn't see the field on defense but could be a nice boost on ST as a gunner. Wasn't House in that role this season before he got hurt?

Yes, and he looked pretty awful while doing it.  No top end speed.  No ability to break down once he finally got to the returner.  

Brown looks and plays like a strong safety.  He can absolutely move in a straight line but is pretty stiff in the hips.  He loves to come down and hit.  Played in the slot quite a bit for Alabama.  Doesnt wrap up all that well but at least he tackles through the ballcarrier.  

Anyone know - does Saban teach the same technique as Ohio State when his DB's are trailing?  Because Brown never seems to locate the ball when it is thrown.  He's watching the receivers hands and looking to strip once the ball arrives.  Just want to know if Brown completely lacks ball skills or if he's a guy playing the proper technique in the system that he's in.

Honestly this guy looks and plays like Brice.  He might be a bit bigger, too.  I see a move to strong safety in his future.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thrILL! said:

He's got world class speed (CB blitz monster too), moxie for days and he’s a special teams demon (peep 4:05 mark where he destroys Derrius Guice).  But he definitely needs a ton of reps and to buy into the coaching.  He can be as good as he wants to be but he’s not called Crazy Tony for no reason. LoL

Nice video - thanks for posting it. I'm ALL IN on fast, ball hawking DB's playing with attitude and an eagerness to hit people. My kinda DB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cheech said:

Yes, and he looked pretty awful while doing it.  No top end speed.  No ability to break down once he finally got to the returner.  

Brown looks and plays like a strong safety.  He can absolutely move in a straight line but is pretty stiff in the hips.  He loves to come down and hit.  Played in the slot quite a bit for Alabama.  Doesnt wrap up all that well but at least he tackles through the ballcarrier.  

Anyone know - does Saban teach the same technique as Ohio State when his DB's are trailing?  Because Brown never seems to locate the ball when it is thrown.  He's watching the receivers hands and looking to strip once the ball arrives.  Just want to know if Brown completely lacks ball skills or if he's a guy playing the proper technique in the system that he's in.

Honestly this guy looks and plays like Brice.  He might be a bit bigger, too.  I see a move to strong safety in his future.

Saban teaches that stupid side shuffle ****

NFL Trivia Pursuit:: Allison / Nelson tracking

Week 1
Allison - 8 targets / 5 receptions / 69 ttl yds / 39 long / 13.8 avg / 1 +20 / 1 TD
Nelson - 4 targets / 3 receptions / 23 ttl yds / 17 long / 7.7 avg / 0 +20 / 0 TD

Week 2
Allison - 6 targets / 6 receptions / 64 ttl yds / 22 long / 10.7 avg / 1 +20 / 0 TD
Nelson - 4 targets / 2 receptions / 30 ttl yds / 23 long / 15.0 avg / 1 +20 / 0 TD

Week 3
Allison - 4  targets / 2 receptions / 74 ttl yds / 64 long / 38.0 avg / 1 +20 / 1 TD
Nelson - 8 targets / 6 receptions / 173 ttl yds / 66 long / 28.8 avg / 1 +20 / 1 TD

Week 4
Allison - 11 targets / 5 receptions / 80 ttl yds / 27 long / 13.3 avg / 1 +20 / 0 TD
Nelson - 8 targets / 5 receptions / 48 ttl yds / 19 long / 9.6 avg / 0 +20 / 1 TD

I also think the Allison/Nelson tracker is pointless.  A better comparison would be Graham and Nelson.  We already had Allison.  We didn't replace Nelson with Allison, Allison just moved up on the depth chart.  Nelson also has Carr throwing it to him while Allison has Rodgers.  The comparison makes it look like it wasn't a boneheaded decision to cut Jordy when it was a boneheaded decision to cut Jordy. 

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I also think the Allison/Nelson tracker is pointless.  A better comparison would be Graham and Nelson.  We already had Allison.  We didn't replace Nelson with Allison, Allison just moved up on the depth chart.  Nelson also has Carr throwing it to him while Allison has Rodgers.  The comparison makes it look like it wasn't a boneheaded decision to cut Jordy when it was a boneheaded decision to cut Jordy. 

We're getting the same production from WR2 at 1/10 the cost. Boneheaded indeed.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

We're getting the same production from WR2 at 1/10 the cost. Boneheaded indeed.

You can say whatever you want about it, but Rodgers had an incredible connection with Jordy Nelson that was invaluable to this offense.  Jordy Nelson on our team right now would make our offense better.  In the red zone, on 3rd and long situations, in preventing third and long situations...

Jordy had Aaron's complete and total trust, and that is a huge thing for our offense.  Now that Jordy's gone it's only natural for people to act like we don't miss him and it's fine, but it's not fine. 

You can mock that standpoint all you want, but Rodgers is not playing up to his contract right now and our offense is not playing up to its potential right now.  Allison is good, but he's a better three than he is a two, and if you think for a minute Nelson wouldn't be outperforming Allison in Green Bay right now, you're worse than you think I think you are. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Now that Jordy's gone it's only natural for people to act like we don't miss him and it's fine, but it's not fine.

If its natural to act this way, how come I'm not seeing the comments supporting your claim? Who's been running down Nelson?

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You can say whatever you want about it, but Rodgers had an incredible connection with Jordy Nelson that was invaluable to this offense.  Jordy Nelson on our team right now would make our offense better.  In the red zone, on 3rd and long situations, in preventing third and long situations...

Jordy had Aaron's complete and total trust, and that is a huge thing for our offense.  Now that Jordy's gone it's only natural for people to act like we don't miss him and it's fine, but it's not fine. 

You can mock that standpoint all you want, but Rodgers is not playing up to his contract right now and our offense is not playing up to its potential right now.  Allison is good, but he's a better three than he is a two, and if you think for a minute Nelson wouldn't be outperforming Allison in Green Bay right now, you're worse than you think I think you are. 

You mean performing better than our leading WR who had a 158.3 QBR when targeted before yesterday?

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Taking out the Atlanta game for Jordy last year he played 312 snaps with Rodgers and had 22 catches - 241 yards - 6 TD.  Davante played 328 snaps with Rodgers and had 28 catches - 342 yards - 5 TD.  It's not really wacky to think Davante could still be outperforming Jordy.

Just now, Leader said:

If its natural to act this way, how come I'm not seeing the comments supporting your claim? Who's been running down Nelson?

Do you honestly believe we wouldn't be better without Jordy right now?

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You mean performing better than our leading WR who had a 158.3 QBR when targeted before yesterday?

What's hard to understand about this?  Having Jordy AND Allison is better than having only Allison. 

It's simple math.  1 + 0 = 1.  1 + 1 = 2.  2 is always higher than 1. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Do you honestly believe we wouldn't be better without Jordy right now?

If this were a Jordy versus nothing comparison, probably.  But you also have to take into account the $8M or whatever we saved by releasing him.  Are you telling me that you believe Jordy Nelson is more productive than Jimmy Graham and MVS?  The money is a relative wash.

Just now, Stevein2012 said:

Taking out the Atlanta game for Jordy last year he played 312 snaps with Rodgers and had 22 catches - 241 yards - 6 TD.  Davante played 328 snaps with Rodgers and had 28 catches - 342 yards - 5 TD.  It's not really wacky to think Davante could still be outperforming Jordy.

There is so much wrong with this. 

Jordy had 11 yards per catch and 6 touchdowns with Rodgers last year and that's not good?

Second, why are you comparing Adams to Nelson?  Neither of those players replaced Jordy.  We had both of them. 

It's Graham we should be comparing Jordy to, NOT Adams or Allison.  We replaced JORDY with JIMMY.  Jordy is averaging 17.1 yards per reception with Carr.  He has 16 catches for 274 yards and 2 touchdowns.  Jimmy Graham is averaging 10.6 yards per reception with Rodgers.  16 receptions, 170 yards and 1 touchdown. 

Jordy Nelson is performing considerably better than the player we replaced him with. 

I swear to God sometimes you people argue with me just because you don't want me to be right.  The fact of the matter is that Jordy is performing better than the player we replaced him with. 

You can't point to Allison and Adams because we already had Adams and Allison.  Those aren't the replacements. 

Jordy is proving with every single game that he's still got it.  Graham isn't. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

Are you telling me that you believe Jordy Nelson is more productive than Jimmy Graham and MVS?

Um, yes.  That's exactly what I'm saying. 

Jordy Nelson - 16 receptions, 274 yards, 17.1 yards per catch, 2 touchdowns.
Jimmy/MVS - 18 receptions, 210 yards, 11.6 yards per catch, 1 touchdown. 

Jordy literally is literally more productive than Graham and MVS.  Literally

Unless, of course, you consider 2 receptions more productive than 5.5 yards per reception and a full touchdown.