Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

My great fear here is that LaFleur found the perfect mix of the McCarthy and Shanahan offenses last year, and we're now going too far down the line towards Shanahan with guys like Deguara and AR8

If Amari can morph into Deebo Samuel in the next year or two I'd be okay with it.  

1 hour ago, R T said:

Deguara often lined up as a WR in college and was their leading receiver his Sr. season at Cincinnati, he caught 92 balls there.

I agree with this. I'm sure I've watched less video of Degaura's college days than many, but it appeared to me that he was catching passes all over the field - and not - the "limited" receiving option he was portrayed as by some GB fans. Kellen Winslow he will never be.....but he should be able to produce in this system.

Edited by Leader

Just now, Leader said:

I agree with this. I'm sure I've watched less video of Degaura's college days than many, but it appeared to me that he was catching passes all over the field - and not - the "limited" receiving option he was portrayed as by some GB fans.
Kellen Wislow he will never be.....but he should be able to produce in this system.

When Aaron Rodgers was talking about Deguara in his Sunday PC, he said that he had a limited route tree, and ran simplistic stuff in college.  He's a work in progress.

1 hour ago, R T said:

Deguara often lined up as a WR in college and was their leading receiver his Sr. season at Cincinnati, he caught 92 balls there. He has the ability to be an effective pass catcher anywhere on the field, his ceiling is every bit of that of Tonyan's. Packer fans want every young player to be instant stars or throw them out with the bath water, but young skill players working with Rodgers that is not the way it works.    

I basically disagree with all of this,  and I don't think what he did at Cincinnati has much bearing on the type of role he has here.  He was the shiniest turd there.  Super.

Clearly the coaching staff does not believe he can play a true modern move TE role, and to say that his ceiling is that of Tonyans is irresponsibly wrong, at least with a view on this year.  They are very very different players.

About the only similarity he has with any decent NFL pass catcher is that he has solid hands.  He reminds me of lance kendricks, who had a spurt of unspectacularity here.  His body type is more of a RB than a TE.  Deguara should be a block-first player, but he isn't all that good at that either.

I just haven't seen a lot on the field from the guy.  He's young, but there isn't much to see there or to build on.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't think he'll ever be an effective TE/middle of the field target though. 

Based on some of the personnel they used (2 backs with WR/TE playing FB/H-back/RB) seems like MLF is trying to minimize his snaps.  The fact he only played 43% of the snaps this week and 46% last week while Tonyan was playing 75%+ while healthy is not surprising.

Right now our only effective middle of the field targets are Adams and Cobb, and occasionally a check-down route to the back/TE.

TE is a nitoriously tough position to learn at the NFL level no wonder why teams don't draft them high and when they do the regret it. Ask OP he's always laughing at teams taking TE's early.

Kid has all the talent in the world and will take a bit more time he missed most of last year. Imagine what he's got to learn to play in this offense.  He's barely played and has moved up due to injury.

You can see the movement and hands right now clearly. But he's got to learn the game more he's a guy that if he was playing with AR for a few years would likely be right behind Adams as a trusted target that much i see. If AR departs this OS lets hope that Love can develop a good relationship with him. 

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I basically disagree with all of this,  and I don't think what he did at Cincinnati has much bearing on the type of role he has here.  He was the shiniest turd there.  Super.

Clearly the coaching staff does not believe he can play a true modern move TE role, and to say that his ceiling is that of Tonyans is irresponsibly wrong, at least with a view on this year.  They are very very different players.

About the only similarity he has with any decent NFL pass catcher is that he has solid hands.  He reminds me of lance kendricks, who had a spurt of unspectacularity here.  His body type is more of a RB than a TE.  Deguara should be a block-first player, but he isn't all that good at that either.

I just haven't seen a lot on the field from the guy.  He's young, but there isn't much to see there or to build on.

Why would you make him a block first player with those hands and he's got decent movement skills. I think you're judging him way to harshly for whatever reason. Reason you haven't seen much is he was hurt he's coming off an ACL tear and learning the TE position in the NFL. Not the same player but look how long it took Finley to develop. TE's take time. Heck Tonyan is in what year 4?

Tons of potential with this kid. Could be a real solid player reminds me of every TE in Baltimore.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Agree - but still - throw him the ball. We need production from this position.

Agreed here but AR misses the easy one still here and there. I can see that seeing he's been in the right place the last few times that AR will trust him a bit more here and there rest of the way. AR is so much better when he gets the ball out to everyone. Just makes this offense so tough to stop. 

2 hours ago, R T said:

Deguara often lined up as a WR in college and was their leading receiver his Sr. season at Cincinnati, he caught 92 balls there. He has the ability to be an effective pass catcher anywhere on the field, his ceiling is every bit of that of Tonyan's. Packer fans want every young player to be instant stars or throw them out with the bath water, but young skill players working with Rodgers that is not the way it works.    

Tonyan ran a 4.58 at his pro day.  He was a QB, converted to WR and ultimately to TE.  Tonyan had an 8.88 RAS Score at TE.

Deguara ran a 4.72 at the combine.  His RAS score was either 6.66 at TE.  8.52 as a FB.

As an athlete, Tonyan is better.  But I'm not sure that the athlete on the field is much different between the two.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Why would you make him a block first player with those hands and he's got decent movement skills. I think you're judging him way to harshly for whatever reason. Reason you haven't seen much is he was hurt he's coming off an ACL tear and learning the TE position in the NFL. Not the same player but look how long it took Finley to develop. TE's take time. Heck Tonyan is in what year 4?

Tons of potential with this kid. Could be a real solid player reminds me of every TE in Baltimore.  

6-2 is small/short for TE.  Small guy in terms of catch radius.  To succeed as a TE he would need to be F-A-S-T fast and he's not.

His best abilities are as a polished lazard who can move a LB.  Let's hope he can become that.

22 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

6-2 is small/short for TE.  Small guy in terms of catch radius.  To succeed as a TE he would need to be F-A-S-T fast and he's not.

His best abilities are as a polished lazard who can move a LB.  Let's hope he can become that.

I agree with the first part.  I looked at the top 10 receiving TEs, so far, this season.  Each of them was in the 6'4-6-6 range.  That doesn't mean that he cannot be successful.  But you are going to have to ask him to do things that he can do, and not try to make him Travis Kelce.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Yeah is height isn't ideal but lets not make it that he can't be a really solid player over a couple inches. If he can get open and catch the ball who cares if he's 6'7" Jimmy Graham. I think that's what hurts scouts is the ideal size and you miss the true diamonds out there. Teams like Baltimore live off guys like Deguara.