Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I’ll have patience with Rodgers as a receiver but he has exhausted my patience as a returner.  He’s not ever going to be good at it. He fights with the ball. Just give me someone who catches it securely every time.  Returns are a bonus. 

Edited by Norse65

13 minutes ago, Norse65 said:

I’ll have patience with Rodgers as a receiver but he has exhausted my patience as a returner.  He’s not ever going to be good at it. He fights with the ball. Just give me someone who catches it securely every time.  Returns are a bonus. 

Oh Yeah .. he's clearly not a very good returner.  The Packers should be on the look out some someone that can do that job well .. especially with Cobb banged up.  Ervin time again?

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Amos recovered one this week .. actually looked like he knew what he was doing.  

It was a bit of a joke, but yes we looked just fine on the recovery this week.  I'll still be sweating bullets if a game comes down to anything special teams related. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

It was a bit of a joke, but yes we looked just fine on the recovery this week.  I'll still be sweating bullets if a game comes down to anything special teams related. 

One of the reason we looked good there is because we had starting talent on the field.  I wonder if we will see some more vets out there as we get closer to the playoffs.  I know we don't need any more injuries, but using bottom of the roster talent on special teams leads to the basement.

Deguara's fine, guy hasn't even played a full season's worth of games yet and was a back-up until week 9.  Rodgers went to him for the TD when he could have scrambled against Minny and again on 4th down this week.  Trust is growing and he's flashing some ability to separate, that scramble drill TD he left the coverage behind to get to the open spot. 

Amari is what he is: he was never a plus athlete, you're drafting him for the game sense.  Not a shocker that it would take him time to adjust to a QB who's notoriously detail oriented and an NFL game that's moving much faster than the college game.  His biggest issue right now is going down too easily to minor contact; he needs to put some muscle mass on over the off-season and keep working on his balance through contact.  Basically he needs to live in AJ Dillon's basement and just do whatever he does until July.  Saying he's in danger of being cut is a laugh though, thanks for that because I needed one today.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Deguara's fine, guy hasn't even played a full season's worth of games yet and was a back-up until week 9. 

I don't think he'll ever be an effective TE/middle of the field target though. 

Based on some of the personnel they used (2 backs with WR/TE playing FB/H-back/RB) seems like MLF is trying to minimize his snaps.  The fact he only played 43% of the snaps this week and 46% last week while Tonyan was playing 75%+ while healthy is not surprising.

Right now our only effective middle of the field targets are Adams and Cobb, and occasionally a check-down route to the back/TE.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Right now our only effective middle of the field targets are Adams and Cobb, and occasionally a check-down route to the back/TE.

I see no reason EQ couldnt run routes there. He's 6'5 - runs fast and has both hands. Give him a shot.
I'd be in favor of MVS crossing over the middle more - as he did against MN.

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I was hoping to see DeGuara take a big step but that hasn't really materialized either. Still time for him too though.

Well, he got the 4'th down catch.  That's something.

And...I thought I saw him pretty open a few times and didn't get the ball.

Really, I don't worry about DeGuara out there at all.  I think he's doing what he is supposed to be doing and sooner or later, Rodgers will find him.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't think he'll ever be an effective TE/middle of the field target though. 

Based on some of the personnel they used (2 backs with WR/TE playing FB/H-back/RB) seems like MLF is trying to minimize his snaps.  The fact he only played 43% of the snaps this week and 46% last week while Tonyan was playing 75%+ while healthy is not surprising.

Deguara often lined up as a WR in college and was their leading receiver his Sr. season at Cincinnati, he caught 92 balls there. He has the ability to be an effective pass catcher anywhere on the field, his ceiling is every bit of that of Tonyan's. Packer fans want every young player to be instant stars or throw them out with the bath water, but young skill players working with Rodgers that is not the way it works.    

• Like 4