Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

It's been apparent that Rodgers is about the money .. 50 million a year certainly confirms that.   If he wants more players around him and who will be on the team - take a little less money to insure that happens!!  It is now getting frickin ridiculous with what Rodgers says but in reality does. 

If that $50M number is accurate, I would agree.  But it hasn't been confirmed by anyone else and only Russini has proposed that.  Don't think she's broken news anytime recently.

It's not just one reporter, Aaron clearly cares about the image of being the highest paid QB, no discount is coming, and they'll pay it to him.

With void years, the money will be fake, he'll count against our cap like a modest paid QB for the next 2 years to go all in and then we'll eat a butt load of cap and suck for at least 1 year. If we win a SB, it'll be worth it, if we don't, the fan base and Rodgers will surely need a Favre like couple year break as I'm sure we'll be over him for awhile.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Or maybe the entire media is wrong and there is a source out there leading them on.

🤷

And that's possible.  But the discussion is going to be had.  If Rodgers wants $50M/year, but he wants Green Bay to retain all their key guys AND continue to go all-in, he's not nearly as smart as I think he is.

58 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not just one reporter, Aaron clearly cares about the image of being the highest paid QB, no discount is coming, and they'll pay it to him.

With void years, the money will be fake, he'll count against our cap like a modest paid QB for the next 2 years to go all in and then we'll eat a butt load of cap and suck for at least 1 year. If we win a SB, it'll be worth it, if we don't, the fan base and Rodgers will surely need a Favre like couple year break as I'm sure we'll be over him for awhile.

I'm just trying to figure out a way to structure it that realistically lets Aaron Rodgers see the money, but also saves the Packers money.  Let's say they do a 2 year, $90M deal with 3 additional void years on the books.  You're already on the $19.2M in prorated bonuses from the previous deal.  Figure a minimum (or near minimum) salary for 2022, so that's an additional $1.5M which puts the Packers' cap hit up to $20.7M for the 2022 season.  Let's say you put $45M signing bonus, that raises his cap hit to $29.7M for 2022 which saves the Packers around $17M.  That would create a 2023 salary at $45M, which means his 2023 cap hit would be nearly $61.7M.  They'd absolutely have to restructure his base salary in 2023, which would create an additional ~$35M in cap space.  They'd be in salary cap HELL after 2023 though.  They'd have $27M in dead cap from the original signing bonus plus an additional $34.8M from that potential 2023 restructure for a grand total of nearly $62M in dead cap in 2024.  You lower the signing bonus to lower the future dead cap and you're cap savings in 2022 likely go down because you'll need to pay him a bigger base salary.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

If that $50M number is accurate, I would agree.  But it hasn't been confirmed by anyone else and only Russini has proposed that.  Don't think she's broken news anytime recently.

Rodgers just called the report "categorically false"  McAfee reached out to him.  Just more media BS.  

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Rodgers just called the report "categorically false"  McAfee reached out to him.  Just more media BS.  

Can’t multiple things be true at the same time and it’s just a framing issue with media?

Like Aaron might want to be the highest paid player in the league by a wide margin. And some of the non-jerk reasons for that are: he has been the mvp the last 2 years (a rare accomplishment), and he wants control of his professional career at this stage of it. Given his age… maybe taking a “team friendly” deal could also mean I’m giving the packers all the power/leverage to do whatever they want when they want. Having a high number forces them to have a plan and not have flexibility. That’s security.

I think Rodgers gets a high number makes life harder for GB, but it’s also not impossible. I saw many articles on how GB can still be “all in” with a crazy Rodgers extension. And it’s a lot of restructuring deals and like one or two guys leaving (but those guys would likely leave regardless of Aaron).

So I don’t think the reporting is 100% bad/false/garbage. He likely wants to be paid the highest. Now all of the “reporting” of media personalities thoughts and feelings on Rodgers motivations is just that… thoughts and feelings.

14 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

There's nobody who understands this situation more than Rodgers.  The more I give up,  the better team around me will be.

I have full faith in Gute to make the decisions needed.  

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What Greg Jennings says might be true, but he will always sound like a scorned wife to me.

Yeah....I'm kinda taking it all with a grain of salt - in that - I dont know if the 50M stuff is remotely accurate. If so, I've already posted that it may be a way for AR to force GB to give him what he wants: out.

Dont know if any of that is true....so whats being said as "follow up?"..........

Jennings comes from a bad place given past run in's with AR.  It is what it is at this point.