Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 hours ago, Green19 said:

I’m not a cap guy by any measure…but whats stopping the packers and Rodgers on year three (if they are all warm and fuzzy with one another) from literally tearing that deal up and him signing for some crazy low money.

I imagine this is against the rules. Just curious why he can’t take a pay cut that would “erase” that money.

Because dead cap is money paid to the player that hasn't been accounted for in the cap in previous years. You can't erase it with a new contract - you paid it, so it has to count on the cap at some point.

5 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

Because dead cap is money paid to the player that hasn't been accounted for in the cap in previous years. You can't erase it with a new contract - you paid it, so it has to count on the cap at some point.

What’s alive cap. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 11:51 AM, MrBobGray said:

2014 was a perfect storm system for Cobb.  Contract year and the QB wanted him to show out as a friend, multiple legit boundary guys so he could play to his strengths regularly, and Rodgers was just entering the "I only throw to the guys I trust" phase of his career so Cobb was the beneficiary of a lot of scramble drill plays.  I still remember palmy emphatically stating "that's a damn SLOT" when they were taking potential contract details, and then his consternation mixed with happiness for Cobb after the fact when they gave him high end receiver money.

I can never begrudge a player for whom the cards fall just right, and that goes double for a guy who seems as much a real one as Cobb.  He's a career complementary piece but a damn good one, and his joy coming back to Green Bay was so wonderfully infectious. 

Come Let Me Love You GIF

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

There's absolutely stuff you can do, the Saints did it with Brees. It will depend if the Packers would rather rip the band-aid off at once or peel it.

You should rip it off.

In that scenario, if Rodgers leave we are in 'look for a QB mode' with serious cap problems, we are a bad team. There is absolutely no point cap kicking weakening future teams to turn a 2-15 team into a 6-11.

You take as much of the cap hit as is feasibly possible in one year and then rebuild. Probably with very high draft picks. 

Reality is we have a bad couple of seasons and then if you draft well are in position to go again. Chances are if we don't hit on a QB then we have a bad couple of years till we do anyway regardless of cap position.

Matt Schneidman -   Remember the new money APY for DeAndre Hopkins after he was traded skewing the WR market and leading to a standoff between the Packers and Davante Adams?

Jaire Alexander's camp will surely use Xavien Howard's new money APY as a reference point instead of his "actual" APY.

Just now, beekay414 said:

He can play the nickel/slot, absolutely. We have our boundary corners in Stokes and Douglas.

TDN's breakdown......

Daxton Hill is a versatile defender who has been very productive throughout his three-year tenure with the Wolverines. A highly touted recruit with NFL bloodlines, Hill stepped on campus with big expectations and has certainly lived up to them. Hill will align at various roles in the Michigan defense but he does his best work playing single-high safety or as a nickel defender in the slot. He is a smooth and efficient mover in coverage and has very good straight-line speed. In zone coverage, Hill flashes excellent eyes, instincts, and awareness to peel off his zone and locate the ball and make a play. He has good short-area quickness and closing burst to make plays on the football or tackle anything completed in front of him. Hill flashes good range playing single-high and can make plays red line to red line. While Hill has good overall athleticism to be an effective man cover player both playing high safety and in the slot, he can get lazy in his transitions and can be slow to open up and run, leaving separation between him and the receiver. Additionally, while Hill is tough and ultra-competitive both in the passing game and in run support, his lack of size and strength leave him at a disadvantage at the catch point as well as playing in the box. 

Ideal Role: Starting free safety with the ability to play nickel

Scheme Fit: Cover 1 or Cover 3 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Well...Jaire just got more expensive.

Why do the packers wait on this stuff? Like I get it… likely Alexander’s camp waited this out but still.

the only positive is I think there is an argument to have that Howard is better. So they can maybe get Alexander for less.