Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, Les Punting said:

There's a lesson to be learned here.

Don't spend mid 1st round picks picks on incomplete safety prospects.

Elite, well-rounded safeties don't come out very often.  And when they do, they go early.  Going back to 2004, the only safeties that have been taken in the top 15 picks are Michael Huff (7th, 2006), Donte Whitner (8th, 2006), LaRon Landry (6th, 2007), Eric Berry (5th, 2010), Earl Thomas (14th, 2010), Mark Barron (7th, 2012), Kenny Vaccaro (15th, 2013), Karl Joseph (14th, 2016), Jamal Adams (6th, 2017), Malik Hooker (15th, 2017), and Minkah Fitzpatrick (11th, 2018).  In the 17 drafts following the 2004 NFL Draft, only 4.3% of the top 15 picks were used on safeties.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chili said:

I know some of you hate Reddit but I don't care, someone supposedly got insider info.

https://old.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/u2w6k1/packers_are_signing_sammy_watkins_if_he_passes/

I am super underwhelmed. He can't run anymore. With elite Mahomes throwing him the ball Watkins could barely generate any YAC. He barely beats the first tackler and goes to the ground far too easily. His 4.4 speed is no longer there. if he cannot do it with Mahomes what makes us think he's going to do any better with Rodgers throwing to him? Please.

2020-2021 Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1T4-ciIFCA

I'd rather they'd paid $10 mil/yr to MVS than this. 

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Savage was the best safety prospect in that class and absolutely had good coverage tape at Maryland.

Too early to give up on him yet. I remember everyone wanting to get rid of Nick Collins after year 3.

Ok ... will give him another year.  If not this year, probably never. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Ok ... will give him another year.  If not this year, probably never. 

His 2nd season in Barry's defense should be a nice jump.  Savage is at his best when Alexander is on the field so Jaire's return is obviously huge for the entire D but particularly for the DB group.  Alexander, Stokes, Douglas, Savage & Amos is a killer secondary.  I can't wait to see how Barry utilizes Savage this season.  Getting him in position to make big plays.   His sacks might go up too.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

His 2nd season in Barry's defense should be a nice jump.  Savage is at his best when Alexander is on the field so Jaire's return is obviously huge for the entire D but particularly for the DB group.  Alexander, Stokes, Douglas, Savage & Amos is a killer secondary.  I can't wait to see how Barry utilizes Savage this season.  Getting him in position to make big plays.   His sacks might go up too.

Again, will give him another year to prove himself.  Really hope you are correct in your assessment but if not ... may be time to cut bait.

2 hours ago, R T said:

It's hilarious when fans think they know what Jordon Love's trade value is. Lol 

Nobody will know unless he's traded.  Hell the Packers don't even know.  What's the price?  That is the question.  Think OZ is right probably around a mid 2 if another team wants him.  Any less an the Packers will just keep him.  I'd say that's a pretty accurate assessment.  Whether a team is willing to part with a mid 2 to get him well guess we'll find out.  Personally I doubt it and believe he'll be back.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Nobody will know unless he's traded.  Hell the Packers don't even know.  What's the price?  That is the question.  Think OZ is right probably around a mid 2 if another team wants him.  Any less an the Packers will just keep him.  I'd say that's a pretty accurate assessment.  Whether a team is willing to part with a mid 2 to get him well guess we'll find out.  Personally I doubt it and believe he'll be back.

I don't even think you can put a value on someone until a team comes calling at which point you listen to the offer and make a call.

My post (opinion) was more along the lines of him having the most value trying to turn a 3rd into a 2nd or a 2nd into a 1st. A straight out trade for him doesn't do much for us unless we receive an offer too good to be true

Man.  I go back and forth on Love.  Trade or retain.

I kindda settle on this fact.  The worst time to need a QB is when you don't have a QB.  It would stink to be Seattle or Carolina right now.  It stinks a little less to be Washington or Pittsburgh.  But man, these QB's coming out are underwhelming and someone is going to take a couple of them in the first round, just out of desperation.

Here we sit with a reigning back to back MVP and an understudy.  It is really an enviable position to be in.  Other teams fans may bag on the Love pick from their point of view, but I'll bet few clubs view that as a bad thing right now.

Rodgers is old, he may get injured, heck, he may retire.  Who knows, Mayhem could happen.  And we are now protected from such Mayhem.

The only way I like a Love trade is if it secures a top end talent for us (via trade up) AND if we like one of these rookie QB's in rounds 2 or 3 and start the understudy program all over again.  Even then we gotta sign a vet like Jake Jortles as a backup for this year.  So going down that road will cost us more money this year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I had a dream we traded him for 3 1st last night. I've been having some super lucid dreams lately. 

It has about as much chance to be true as my dream the other night about being a superstar baseball pitcher on Mars, though.

Did we hire Rod Marinelli in any of your dreams ? 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I had a dream we traded him for 3 1st last night. I've been having some super lucid dreams lately. 

It has about as much chance to be true as my dream the other night about being a superstar baseball pitcher on Mars, though.

It is spring mushroom season.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I bet they’re going to have a better WR room than Lazard, a rookie and a Fuller/Watkins/Green /Julio type FA. 

I find it curious that Watkins is still available.  Someone on another forum mentioned a rumor about Watkins visiting GB...?