Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

And he'll have 4 pro bowl seasons and everybody will say they never wanted us to let him go even though literally 90% of the people here hate him and think we should let him go. 

I don't think we should let him go. He earns his keep on special teams. Keep him. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cheech said:

This is where I just can't stand MM as an OC.  He rarely uses 4 wide sets and instead wastes snaps with less athletic TE's manning the slot.  Just a few times a game, why not throw 87 in the slot for Kendricks and put Janis or Davis outside to occupy a deep safety?

Now, I'm not as down on the offense as I used to be - mostly because we had receivers running open and Hundley was unable to find them - but the point remains - the offense could be more explosive with the players on the roster.  Neither Janis nor Davis is a quality NFL receiver.  But I do think other teams could get more out of their athletic ability.

Completely agree with this. There's no reason plodders like Bennett, Kendricks, and R. Rodgers should play all these snaps between the 20's instead of guys like Davis, Janis, at least once in a while. Those WRs might not be good, but at least they can potentially stretch a defense.

If Janis leaves I will legitimately be sad. Dude is an awesome gunner, has an underground following, had an all time great Packers performance when needed and is a big time bowhunter. A perfect Packer. I believe he likes playing in the Midwest just because of his hobbies.

I hope we can bring him back and at least work him in to the rotation. 

• Like 1

Every team keeps three ST-only roster spots, punter/kicker/snapper. 

Janis and how many other ST-only guys should the roster keep?  

If the roster has space for ST-only guys, great, keep him and other ST-only guys.  

But in the National Injury League, I'm not sure how many roster spots should be kept for ST-only guys versus for guys who might be anti-awful from scrimmage if injury necessitates.

I get that we can complain that MM doesn't use him right and doesn't give him a chance and stuff.  But, it is what it is, MM is the coach, so until MM isn't the coach anymore, I don't expect the usage there to shift.  (And I'm not suggesting that MM is wrong, either; what do I know?)  What I do know is that MM has so little trust in Janis as a receiver that he'd rather play guys with broken ribs, broken collarbones, badly sprained ankles, or the immortal Geronimo Allison or Richard Rodgers, etc., rather than to play Janis.  And I don't think that's a good thing.  One of the small contributing reasons that our receivers play the slowest in the NFL is, I think, because MM keeps playing WR even they are variably injured.  And that's because the guys behind them (Janis and Davis) are apparently so very unimpressive that even a banged-up Allison is still considered to be a superior option.  

Packers need more quality at WR and TE.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, craig said:

Janis and how many other ST-only guys should the roster keep?

Because I'm lazy, I'm only going to look at other NFCN WR depth charts.  Obviously, not everything is equal but let's take a glimpse at those rosters.

Green Bay: Davante Adams / Jordy Nelson / Randall Cobb / Geronimo Allison / Trevor Davis / Jeff Janis
Chicago: Kendall Wright / Josh Bellamy / Dontrelle Inman / Markus Wheaton / Deonte Thompson [released] / Michael Burton [released]
Detroit: Marvin Jones / Golden Tate / Kenny Golladay / T.J. Jones / Jared Abberderis
Minnesota: Adam Thielen / Stefon Diggs / Laquon Treadwell / Jarius Wright / Michael Floyd / Stacey Coley

Now let's look at how each team's 5th and 6th WR amount to in terms of percentage of available offensive snaps.

Trevor Davis [GB]: 9.8%
Jeff Janis [GB]: 4.8%
Jared Aberderris [DET]: 11%
Michael Floyd [MIN]: 13.6%
Stacey Coley [MIN]: 1.8%

Overall, t's nothing to crazy.  Given the Packers don't run much more than 3 WR looks, that 5th and 6th WR are more often than not either developmental types (i.e. Trevor Davis) or ST players (Jeff Janis).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because I'm lazy, I'm only going to look at other NFCN WR depth charts.  Obviously, not everything is equal but let's take a glimpse at those rosters.

Green Bay: Davante Adams / Jordy Nelson / Randall Cobb / Geronimo Allison / Trevor Davis / Jeff Janis
Chicago: Kendall Wright / Josh Bellamy / Dontrelle Inman / Markus Wheaton / Deonte Thompson [released] / Michael Burton [released]
Detroit: Marvin Jones / Golden Tate / Kenny Golladay / T.J. Jones / Jared Abberderis
Minnesota: Adam Thielen / Stefon Diggs / Laquon Treadwell / Jarius Wright / Michael Floyd / Stacey Coley

Now let's look at how each team's 5th and 6th WR amount to in terms of percentage of available offensive snaps.

Trevor Davis [GB]: 9.8%
Jeff Janis [GB]: 4.8%
Jared Aberderris [DET]: 11%
Michael Floyd [MIN]: 13.6%
Stacey Coley [MIN]: 1.8%

Overall, t's nothing to crazy.  Given the Packers don't run much more than 3 WR looks, that 5th and 6th WR are more often than not either developmental types (i.e. Trevor Davis) or ST players (Jeff Janis).

Love these perspective posts Cwood. Makes you look around and not only look in. WR5/6 is almost never a real contributor. If you have one at WR5/6 who is an elite ST guy, you can live with that. Do you try to get better? Maybe, do you pay him close to 2 mil? Maybe not......does he stay? IDK. But what he just was is pretty good.

• Like 1

The Packers survived letting Jarred Bush go who was similar - special teams star but meh, average at best at his regular position.  They'll survive no Janis on ST.

Janis has had ample time to learn and thrive as a WR but for whatever reason, can't; he's had the opportunities (I'm remembering the heart-warming story of Rodgers walking past him on a flight home after the (AZ playoff?) game where Janis was superlative and Rodgers apparently saying 'good job' to Janis - gaining the sacred 'trust' with AR needed by all the WRs.  Alas, that subsequently grew into nothing. 

Gutey needs the extra WR roster spot(s) to find a replacement for Nelson and/or Cobb either of whom may be gone after their contract is up in a year; (if, say, Cobb/Nelson gets renegotiated and extended, then they've locked up a roster spot for next 3 years anyway).  That space should go to a new, decent and affordable (read:  < 10M WR) UFA WR pickup and/or a high 2018 draft pick; not Janis.  Let the other younger WRs on the roster see if they can develop into that next guy; in addition to Adams, Nelson, Cobb and a UFA/high draft pick, there may only be 1-2 WR roster spots for the youngin's to fight over anyway.  That's where the backend of the WR roster should be getting filled; not with a known but so-so WR commodity.

Just now, davekenya said:

The Packers survived letting Jarred Bush go who was similar - special teams star but meh, average at best at his regular position.  They'll survive no Janis on ST.

Bush was 30 years old and wasn't a quarter the special teams player Jeff Janis is.  Jeff Janis just literally received all-pro votes and you want us to let him go.  You're astounding.  Special teams players like Janis don't grow on trees. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Bush was 30 years old and wasn't a quarter the special teams player Jeff Janis is.  Jeff Janis just literally received all-pro votes and you want us to let him go.  You're astounding.  Special teams players like Janis don't grow on trees. 

Depending on the price. I wouldn't go over 3/3.5