Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

39 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I don't know what games Michael Silver is remembering, but I can't think of too many games that looked lost during the Rodgers era where GB pulled out a win due to magical QB play.  

Michael silver is a cal alumni… and loves himself some Rodgers. Always have. The easy media take right now is Jets are going to be big winners because they are getting the proven guy.

They also conveniently forget the decade of them bashing Rodgers for NOT getting back to a SB.

47 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Is this what we want? I am kind of leaning that way due to some of the yount tackle talent on the roster.

I personally don't want that.  I would much rather keep Nijman.  We know what we have with him and we know he's a good player at LT.  I just don't know if GB will match a big offer due to cap space, but we've seen plenty of cap gymnastics before so maybe they would.

46 minutes ago, Kepler said:

If that happened, would the pick be for this or next year's draft?

I believe it's for this year but I'm not 100% positive on that.

EDIT:  R T confirmed that it's this year

Edited by MaximusGluteus

26 minutes ago, Kepler said:

If that happened, would the pick be for this or next year's draft?

This year

Draft Choice Compensation under this Article shall be due in that League Year’s Draft unless the Offer Sheet is received by the Prior Club later than two days before that League Year’s Draft, in which case Draft Choice Compensation shall be due in the following League Year’s Draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Nijman official on the second round tender

You have a link? Not that I don't trust you. I've got the Redskins making a play for him. Kid if from Virginia, not that that has anything to do with it. They suck on the offensive line and need help at tackle. 

Edited by Old Guy

10 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I personally don't want that.  I would much rather keep Nijman.  We know what we have with him and we know he's a good player at LT. 

I'd take the 2nd rnd pick.   (and I do like Njiman)

Perfect world, Njiman would be great to keep as are all OT, but his 2nd round tender this year is comparable to the cap hit for the #10 pick in the draft.  2nd rnd examples:   #33 Logan Hall cap hit $1.7 mil and #64 Nik Bonitto cap hi $1mil.  $3 mil in cap savings with Njiman gets us a cheaper replacement as well as a FA safety or DL.    We have Zach Tom that can play LT or RT as well as Jones and Walker.   Personally I'm fine with Myers at C vs competing with Tom.   It's a crapshoot for sure as we know what we have with Njiman but take the pick and we'll be adding OL early and/or late as the depth pieces.     

Having Tom and '23 high draft pick as starting tackles in '24 on super cheap contracts as well as Love on a relatively cheap contract would give us a lot of roster building flexibility

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Green19 said:

I’d prefer getting a combination of JSN, Johnston, Mayer, Van Ness, one of the OTs, Kincaid.

feels like a better move to get 2 guys.

I really don't want a TE in round one, but if we suddenly have two picks?  Sure, why not.  It would be like getting new underwear for Christmas, but sure.  It'll feel good for a little while, till it gets washed a few times and then you are looking to replace it all over again.

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Nijman official on the second round tender

51 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

My guess is he gets a big offer and GB takes the 2nd.

46 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Is this what we want? I am kind of leaning that way due to some of the yount tackle talent on the roster.

First off, I dig Nijman.  Always been a fan of his.

We are in a "can't lose" situation with him for this year.  He'll fight for a starting spot on our line, if he is here, or he will be a great swing tackle.  And?  If he isn't here, it is because we got a second round pick, which is also a huge win for us.

If I'm guessing what actually happens, I need to see the list of FA tackles out there right now.  

I looked....there's like 2-3 good to very good ones left.  Then a bunch of guys that are decent.  Some with age on them, some with youth.

My guess is that given the tackles out there, he's a Packer next year.

• Like 1