Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I really don't want a TE in round one, but if we suddenly have two picks?  Sure, why not.  It would be like getting new underwear for Christmas, but sure.  It'll feel good for a little while, till it gets washed a few times and then you are looking to replace it all over again.

I agree; if GB only has 1 first rounder and they want a pass catcher I would go for one of the WRs JSN etc. 

But with 2 firsts I could see this staff liking Mayer a lot. And he screams Jason Witten to me and I feel like GB can do a lot worse.

I think Washington is someone they want too. So maybe if GB has 2 seconds, they would target Washington in the 2nd.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

I agree; if GB only has 1 first rounder and they want a pass catcher I would go for one of the WRs JSN etc. 

But with 2 firsts I could see this staff liking Mayer a lot. And he screams Jason Witten to me and I feel like GB can do a lot worse.

I think Washington is someone they want too. So maybe if GB has 2 seconds, they would target Washington in the 2nd.

I feel fairly confident the Packers aren't taking a TE with a FRP.  I think if they end up with 2, I think it'll be a WR and an OT.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I'd take the 2nd rnd pick.   (and I do like Njiman)

Perfect world, Njiman would be great to keep as are all OT, but his 2nd round tender this year is comparable to the cap hit for the #10 pick in the draft.  2nd rnd examples:   #33 Logan Hall cap hit $1.7 mil and #64 Nik Bonitto cap hi $1mil.  $3 mil in cap savings with Njiman gets us a cheaper replacement as well as a FA safety or DL.    We have Zach Tom that can play LT or RT as well as Jones and Walker.   Personally I'm fine with Myers at C vs competing with Tom.   It's a crapshoot for sure as we know what we have with Njiman but take the pick and we'll be adding OL early and/or late as the depth pieces.     

Having Tom and '23 high draft pick as starting tackles in '24 on super cheap contracts as well as Love on a relatively cheap contract would give us a lot of roster building flexibility

If the staff thinks what they have aside from Nijman is good, then I agree that taking the 2nd isn't a bad idea.  I just don't like losing OL depth, especially when the guy you're losing is a really solid player at both tackle positions.  You can never have too many good OL IMO.  And $3m for a starting-caliber OT is cheap, but I think he's going to get a good sized offer from someone.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

First off, I dig Nijman.  Always been a fan of his.

We are in a "can't lose" situation with him for this year.  He'll fight for a starting spot on our line, if he is here, or he will be a great swing tackle.  And?  If he isn't here, it is because we got a second round pick, which is also a huge win for us.

If I'm guessing what actually happens, I need to see the list of FA tackles out there right now.  

I looked....there's like 2-3 good to very good ones left.  Then a bunch of guys that are decent.  Some with age on them, some with youth.

My guess is that given the tackles out there, he's a Packer next year.

The problem is finding a way to keep him financially happy and satisfied with his reps. He looked better at LT than RT, but that could be due to the shoulder injury. 

Coming out of VT he had a 9.8 RAS and now has technical skill seasoned by pro years and game reps.  Teams will be hard pressed to find a better option in this years second round. Only down side is this guy is going to get PAID soon. 

As you said, packers are in a cant lose situation. Top half of 2nd round seems like good value, bottom half seems fair. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Mayer.  I don't get Witten.  I get Cole Kmet.   Probably me going to the easiest comp for him given where he went to school.

I can TOTALLY get behind Washington in the second.  I don't even care if it is high in the second.

But let's double dip and grab LaPorta somewhere.  He's going to be the most productive TE in the class.  Iowa.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I feel fairly confident the Packers aren't taking a TE with a FRP.  I think if they end up with 2, I think it'll be a WR and an OT.

Do you think they go OT? I’m leaning WR and Edge. I think getting JSN and Van Ness would be really nice. (Although that goes against gutes sec roots haha).

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Mayer.  I don't get Witten.  I get Cole Kmet.   Probably me going to the easiest comp for him given where he went to school.

I can TOTALLY get behind Washington in the second.  I don't even care if it is high in the second.

But let's double dip and grab LaPorta somewhere.  He's going to be the most productive TE in the class.  Iowa.  

La porta and goodson are packers future 

• Like 1

Like the TE class, wouldn't argue if they thought a guy was special and took one; however, I'm actively cheering for a DL, Edge or OT early.    Really like the idea of Jones or Johnson at OT (acknowledging we haven't taken OL this early) or Murphy or LVN DL/Edge.   

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Do you think they go OT? I’m leaning WR and Edge. I think getting JSN and Van Ness would be really nice. (Although that goes against gutes sec roots haha).

Nijman is probably gone after this year, so I don't think he should be counted towards their future.  Zach Tom probably gets one of the starting OT, and Bakh is a legit cap casualty next offseason.  Or at the very least, a trade candidate.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Green19 said:

If Paris Johnson is there, I think I value him more than Van Ness.  And that's saying something.  Broderick Jones looks special to me as well.

The only reason I'd one of those two, if available, over an EDGE like Van Ness is the fact that this looks like a deeper class at EDGE.  I think we could get a very good one in round two, if we needed to.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

We already know what’s going on bud

You know this is the kind of stuff I hate... Just ******* accept the trade, give it to your insider of choice, and let the NFL world react... This whole I need to stay radio silent like I don't care and then go on some podcast shtick is just so tiring. 

• Like 1