Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Keeping Joe Barry was kind of a shock to most of us.  He's terrible, and everyone knows it.   Does anyone think that one of the major factors that played in to it is that Jim Leonhard told the Packers he was taking the year off to have hip surgery?  That thought has been rattling around in my noggin for a while now.  After the season when Barry has once again shown that he's bad maybe the stars will finally align and Jim Leonhard will take his rightful roll as DC for the GBP.  

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Keeping Joe Barry was kind of a shock to most of us.  He's terrible, and everyone knows it.   Does anyone think that one of the major factors that played in to it is that Jim Leonhard told the Packers he was taking the year off to have hip surgery?  That thought has been rattling around in my noggin for a while now.  After the season when Barry has once again shown that he's bad maybe the stars will finally align and Jim Leonhard will take his rightful roll as DC for the GBP.  

It's a charming notion, but I'm a bit too neurotic to believe it myself. I really don't think the leadership has much of an ability to cut the cord at the right time, so to speak. It's not an uncommon thing to be sure; many people possess a degree of hubris that makes them continue committing to things that aren't paying off(the good ol' sunk cost fallacy), but being able to repress that impulse is a sign of a darn good leader so this ongoing spectacle is... troubling.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, craig said:

Agree. 

1. Yeah, Innis seems like he's been around for a while, but this will be only his 3rd year.  3rd year is when developmental UDFA should be ready to step up.  Would be fun to see him emerge and be solid.  He's a pretty physical guy, not afraid to tackle.  
  2. WR:  I agree, why keep 6?   6th WR is a redshirt anyway.  I'm kinda doubtful that either Heath or any of the other 6th-WR contenders are too good to risk sending to PS, and while Heath has size for ST, I doubt he's winning the ST competition.  Keep 6 WR if you like a talent and can afford a redshirt spot, but seems optional to me.  
  3. 3rd RB:  If Jones or Dillon get hurt, I like Goodson better for playing offensive snaps and actually getting any touches.  Has quickness, Taylor does not. But absent injury, 3rd back isn't seeing snaps or touches. Taylor is trying to win a spot for ST.  
  4.  Hollins has been ahead of VanNess in OTA and minicamp.  Things can change, of course.  I have no idea.  
  5. Schneidman seemed to think Erik Wilson is pretty safe, yet another of the ST roster locks.  
  6. I admit sometimes these roster predictions seem to keep a million guys for ST!  Wilson, Leavitt,  Carpenter, Taylor, Moore, McDuffie, etc. etc.  Rich B might get to choose more guys than anybody but OL!

I have some thoughts about the WRs, but I keep typing it out and then deciding not to post.  

I think we have a log jam.  We have our top 3. Then I think Wicks and Toure have the inside track on 4 and 5.  I would be surprised, but not completely shocked if Wicks and Toure were cut.  But after that, I really wouldn't be shocked to see any combination of one or two, or none of the remaining guys.  I think they are all pretty good, but not superstars.  Given just the college highlights, I don't know that Malik Heath is any better than Jeff Cotton, or that Jeff Cotton is any better than Bo Melton.  Obviously, this is subject to change as we see more.

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If Leonhard wasn't a Wisconsin Golden Child no one would give him a second thought. There were times at Wisconsin where he had no answer for what the other team was doing to his defense. Doubtful he would have any more success than Barry and that isn't a very high bar to jump over.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I have some thoughts about the WRs, but I keep typing it out and then deciding not to post.  

I think we have a log jam.  We have our top 3. Then I think Wicks and Toure have the inside track on 4 and 5.  I would be surprised, but not completely shocked if Wicks and Toure were cut.  But after that, I really wouldn't be shocked to see any combination of one or two, or none of the remaining guys.  I think they are all pretty good, but not superstars.  Given just the college highlights, I don't know that Malik Heath is any better than Jeff Cotton, or that Jeff Cotton is any better than Bo Melton.  Obviously, this is subject to change as we see more.

Fully agree.  Our intel is so limited.  Who knows?  The media guys see a couple of practices, but MLF keeps practice as unwatched as he can get away with.  We saw a few pre-season and in-season catches for Toure,, and the media have seen about 2 OTA sessions and 1 minicamp session on which to observe Heath and the new guys.  But with a bunch of UDFA, and Toure and Wicks as 7th and 6th rounders, pretty hard to know much.

Normally I trust that Gute goes with draftees; whatever he liked to draft in the first place remains in their favor.  And we've heard a few compliments Toure's way.  So yeah, Toure #4 and Wicks #5 seems most likely.  But our info is SO minimal.  All of these guys could be totally interchangable; or maybe somebody has or will stand out from the rest.  Who knows?  

28 minutes ago, craig said:

Fully agree.  Our intel is so limited.  Who knows?  The media guys see a couple of practices, but MLF keeps practice as unwatched as he can get away with.  We saw a few pre-season and in-season catches for Toure,, and the media have seen about 2 OTA sessions and 1 minicamp session on which to observe Heath and the new guys.  But with a bunch of UDFA, and Toure and Wicks as 7th and 6th rounders, pretty hard to know much.

Normally I trust that Gute goes with draftees; whatever he liked to draft in the first place remains in their favor.  And we've heard a few compliments Toure's way.  So yeah, Toure #4 and Wicks #5 seems most likely.  But our info is SO minimal.  All of these guys could be totally interchangable; or maybe somebody has or will stand out from the rest.  Who knows?  

I will also say, that I do fully buy into the Toure hype.  I liked his highlights, I liked his preseason, I liked what I saw from his limited playing time as a rookie.  What he needed was about 10 more pounds (which he has reportedly added), and some route refinement.  It is big shoes to fill, but Donald Driver had about 550 yards and 3 TDs his first three seasons.  So, it *could* happen.  

I just wish I felt a little better about Clifford and Etling.  I really want to see these WRs get a chance this preseason.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, R T said:

If Leonhard wasn't a Wisconsin Golden Child no one would give him a second thought. There were times at Wisconsin where he had no answer for what the other team was doing to his defense. Doubtful he would have any more success than Barry and that isn't a very high bar to jump over.   

He had no answer because he had no talent on the backend because Paul Chryst recruited like it was 1995 and teams with any type of WR talent could exploit that. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Leonhard would have a field day with our front 7 and our CB talent. This post is nonsense, especially the last line.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

He had no answer because he had no talent on the backend because Paul Chryst recruited like it was 1995 and teams with any type of WR talent could exploit that. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Leonhard would have a field day with our front 7 and our CB talent. This post is nonsense, especially the last line.

That post is nonsense, he has proven nothing that says he would do well at the NFL level. 

11 hours ago, R T said:

That post is nonsense, he has proven nothing that says he would do well at the NFL level. 

There's basically nothing any DC can do to prove that they would do well at the NFL level. 

Even having success at the NFL level is statistically not super likely to be repeatable. 

Leonard repeatedly fielding Top 5 defenses in college football with Top 30 talent, while having a ton of experience playing in the NFL while already having a semi-strong network of coaches with pro experience, is basically as strong of a resume as it's possible to have. 

• Like 8