Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

36 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

posting PFF scores is not "doing the math" lol

you and someone else were talking about comparing the depth in the end zone of where he's been catching the football as an argument against him.

PFF scores might be somewhat useful for returners, I don't think anybody here has any idea if they are, though

I went there to see if they had already done it.  You are right, they had not.

Instead they took the catch position into consideration when grading a return.  So, it's in their formula, but it is not the end all be all.

What I found interesting about looking at the returns is that we return a higher % than other teams.  As in a whole lot more than most teams.  And that stands to reason with our young offense and our paying a returner.

But the numbers posted earlier that you pointed out, didn't tell a true story.  Others are doing it better than Nixon in regards to average return yards and a score which means they are taking better risks.

I've got nothing against Nixon and nothing against our philosophy of returning as many as we can.  But it is not a philosophy shared by many other teams out there.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

To me the kick return thing is simple, you don't pay a guy 4m to take knees.

Throw analytics out the window, you paid the guy, so let him return, doesn't matter if it's halfway in the endzone.

Take issue with it? Fault Gute for paying the guy. 

Yep, that's it for me as well.  They didn't pay Nixon to watch him not take the ball out of the EZ.  It's why he's on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yep, that's it for me as well.  They didn't pay Nixon to watch him not take the ball out of the EZ.  It's why he's on the roster.

Agreed and isn’t the bigger issue when we have penalties by special teams on these returns?

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay. Name a better one.

You've got the 60s line with 3 all decade/HoFers in Gregg, Kramer, Ringo. Then Fuzzy and the Titans kid's grandpa.

Obviously if you line them both up in their primes the more recent OL is significantly "better" but there are zero all decade/HoFers on it. 

• Like 3

On 11/15/2023 at 6:53 PM, Leader said:

Bill Huber -   Aaron Rodgers kept throwing the ball to Davante Adams in 2015 because he saw a special talent. The #Packers stuck with him, even with alleged questions about him making the team in 2016. It should be the same approach with Christian Watson in 2023.

Is anyone is questioning whether GB should be sticking with Watson?  What I mostly see is people wanting MLF to be better about using Watson in ways that lean into what Watson does well, and helps minimize what he doesn't.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

You've got the 60s line with 3 all decade/HoFers in Gregg, Kramer, Ringo. Then Fuzzy and the Titans kid's grandpa.

Obviously if you line them both up in their primes the more recent OL is significantly "better" but there are zero all decade/HoFers on it. 

It's the 60's Packers OL and it's not even close.  Teams knew what they were running and couldn't stop it.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

It's the 60's Packers OL and it's not even close.  Teams knew what they were running and couldn't stop it.  

That aughts line of Clifton-Wahle-Flanagan-Rivera-Tausch didn't suck either 

It's kind of funny that for all the love the '90s teams get they didn't really have a great OL unit and no truly great individual players either.

• Like 2