Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Without any of us sitting in on JA's conversations with the medical staff it is not our place (or any other talking head in the media) to second guess what is going on.  I strongly suspect Jaire is unhappy not playing.  This team has a lot invested in this player (along with Bak) so it is prudent to be careful and not exacerbate the injury by having him play before he is ready and make it worse.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What kills you at MLB parks is not the tickets.  It is the concessions.  To simplify, just about everything costs $10.  So, you want a hotdog and a beer? That's $20.  Want some fries to go with that, you are looking at $30.  If you are taking your family of 4, that adds up pretty quick.

I go to a lot of baseball games every year.  I think I went to 20 last season.  Usually, my cost is a hotdog and a round of drinks for the group, so 50-80 dollars per game.  It isn't cheap.  

Thats not unique to baseball.  College sporting venues are no different.  $4-5 for a small soda.  Nachos, slice of pizza, popcorm all $5-7

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

MLB tickets are already cheap if you make any effort whatsoever on the secondary market.  Last year's MLB playoffs included 6 teams with payrolls ranked 1-10, 5 teams with payrolls ranked 20-30, and one team ranked 17th. 

In short, everything you posted is wrong.  It's fine if you don't like baseball.  Blaming the payroll disparity's as the reason why is just ignorant.

I get your point,  but might be better to use a 5-10 year sample to increase the sample size.

34 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Tailgate?

That depends on the venue.  Kansas City has probably the best set-up for tailgating, probably anywhere.  They have both their football and baseball stadiums in the same place and enough parking for both, which means there is ample room to spread out across the parking lots.  Down side is, you are pretty much forced to use their lots.  We have had tailgates there for both football and baseball.  

St Louis is a completely different animal.  There is enough parking, but the stadium is plopped down in the city.  Not a great tailgate atmosphere, but there are a million bars and restaurants to go to before the game, most within walking distance or that offer a shuttle service.

I also live like a 45 second walk from the Cardinals' stadium.

A problem with the MLB system is that there is such a poor salary distribution.  There is no real cap, and there is no floor.  The Dodgers paying eleventy bajillion dollars per year is a problem.  But the A's paying 85 thousand is also a problem. 

In the NFL, even the Bears and Texans, owners of the top 2 picks last season pay their team.  Both are below league average in cap space.  There is no penalty for teams like the A's who won't spend any money and are never competitive. 

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That depends on the venue.  Kansas City has probably the best set-up for tailgating, probably anywhere.  They have both their football and baseball stadiums in the same place and enough parking for both, which means there is ample room to spread out across the parking lots.  Down side is, you are pretty much forced to use their lots.  We have had tailgates there for both football and baseball.  

St Louis is a completely different animal.  There is enough parking, but the stadium is plopped down in the city.  Not a great tailgate atmosphere, but there are a million bars and restaurants to go to before the game, most within walking distance or that offer a shuttle service.

I also live like a 45 second walk from the Cardinals' stadium.

Sounds like you should just fire up the grill, get a cooler full of waters and have your kids pay their way into the game by selling their own concessions before the game. 

Nothing is “cheap” anymore but it’s all relative. I grew up tailgating at County Stadium. I’m sure the aesthetic was not first class but it was always pretty fun. My old man definitely wasn’t springing for those high dollar 80’s concessions for us kids but food off the grill always tastes great. 

I'm about as anti-capitalism as it gets but I don't understand b!tching about the prices of things. Stuff is worth what people will pay for it. If nobody bought "overpriced" tickets to drink "overpriced" beers and eat "overpriced" junk those wouldn't be the prices. 

If you don't like it don't do it. If enough of you don't like it and don't do it the prices will drop... until enough people find the prices reasonable and they raise the prices... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I'm about as anti-capitalism as it gets but I don't understand b!tching about the prices of things. Stuff is worth what people will pay for it. If nobody bought "overpriced" tickets to drink "overpriced" beers and eat "overpriced" junk those wouldn't be the prices. 

If you don't like it don't do it. If enough of you don't like it and don't do it the prices will drop... until enough people find the prices reasonable and they raise the prices... 🤷‍♂️

If we're getting into that discussion, that's not capitalism.  But we're not going to get into it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

He and Butler were sooooooooooooo much better than ESPN Milwaukee and I'm not sure how anyone could possibly think otherwise. I can't listen to sports talk anymore the leftovers are so bad.

You're giving an uninformed take too, maybe Ja does have beef with something, we have no idea.

We had a choice of dog poop or cat poop. Steve Fifer is the worst personality I’ve suffered trying to listen to regularly and Gary and LeRoy were straight up liars, changing their stances regularly, treating listeners like crap, Leroy—stop freaking laughing over everything and mumbling ffs this is radio.

The station then caught TDS after the 16 election and their media overlords weren’t cautious enough to keep sports and politics separate. Should’ve been two hosts, all day long. Instead they cut the best hosts and hired tons of afternoon guys that didn’t deliver an afternoon show with original content. 

97.3 is head and shoulders better than both. Although I admit once Czabe and Kuhn are done, Drew and KB is dog crap rolled in cat crap. And the CBD Gummy commercials are guaranteed to lead to me angrily turning on my stuff rather than hear it.

All time?
97.3>1250>Silence>105.7>ESPN Milwaukee

If my take is anything on Jaire, it’s that NO ONE is informed. Assuming Jaire Alexander has a problem with the Green Bay Packers is a lot more of a reach than assuming he doesn’t. We have no evidence either way but it’s not like it’s a coin flip either way. That’s why it’s so incredibly weak to be discussing if our star player wants out. It’s happening for no real reason, so I guess I’ll leave it at that if you guys want to talk about trading 26 year old cornerstones of the franchise have at it.

Edited by ChaRisMa
Re: Ja

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

A problem with the MLB system is that there is such a poor salary distribution.  There is no real cap, and there is no floor.  The Dodgers paying eleventy bajillion dollars per year is a problem.  But the A's paying 85 thousand is also a problem. 

In the NFL, even the Bears and Texans, owners of the top 2 picks last season pay their team.  Both are below league average in cap space.  There is no penalty for teams like the A's who won't spend any money and are never competitive. 

Um... the A's made the playoffs 6 times between 2010 and 2020

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The Dodgers paying eleventy bajillion dollars per year is a problem.

The Dodgers had the sixth highest payroll in 2023 @ 240.2M - winning the NL West division
They lost in the division series to to the Arizona Diamondbacks - who had the 21st highest payroll @ 119.2M

The Diamondbacks made it all the way to the WS - for 121M less than the Dodgers put out.

I say it all the time in conjunction with the Yankees - cause their fans continually accuse their Owner of being cheap (even though they ***consistently*** have a top payroll (#2 last year @ 278.6M - but they didnt even make the playoffs) - that it's not how much you pay, but who you're paying.