Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

Why do you assume MLF is going to can Barry this offseason?  I don't see it, unfortunately.  If Matt wasn't going to do so after we allowed Mayfield to have a career day he isn't going to in January either.

There's been some speculation that Barry's contract is up.  To sign him to new deal based on the lack of production over three years would seem ridiculous to most.  I would think LaFleur would want to take a stab at getting someone better, but who knows?

Last question LaFleur today was about Musgrave's timeline to return.  He was asked if would return this year and Matt said they were taking it one day at a time and that Luke was itching to get back out there.  Maybe we get him back for Minny and/or The Bears?

Edited by {Family Ghost}

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Why do you assume MLF is going to can Barry this offseason?  I don't see it, unfortunately.  If Matt wasn't going to do so after we allowed Mayfield to have a career day he isn't going to in January either.

Sometimes the simplest answers are the best. More often than not, head coaches wait until the end of the season to can guys working for them,. It really could be that simple.

Maybe a desire not to can someone right before Christmas played into it as well. Knowing a guy well (and probably liking him) lends a personal perspective that outsiders don't have.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2023 at 1:54 PM, Packerraymond said:

Joe Barry will not be the Packers DC next year and I imagine many, if not all, defensive staff will be gone, that's accountability. No different with players. Are the Packers cutting Campbell?? Why not? He'll get walking papers in the off-season too most likely. 

How much does MLF pay you?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Norm said:

How much does MLF pay you?

MLF will fire Barry at season's end.  Even he knows that Barry can't get the job done especially after getting a reprieve from MLF bringing him back this year.  Same thing from Barry, different year.  One thing for sure .. the D coordinator position will be a very good position for somebody to get and there will be some pretty good applicant choices.  MLF can not afford to screw this up again!! 

8 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

MLF will fire Barry at season's end.  Even he knows that Barry can't get the job done especially after getting a reprieve from MLF bringing him back this year.  Same thing from Barry, different year.  One thing for sure .. the D coordinator position will be a very good position for somebody to get and there will be some pretty good applicant choices.  MLF can not afford to screw this up again!! 

Oh he's done. But the comparisons he uses to justify not firing him are stupid. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, vegas492 said:

delusions of grandeur versus reality

I'm just impressed how quickly this season has oscillated between "2023 is about rebuilding the cap and seeing what we have in Love" and "Joe Barry is holding this team back so much he needs fired in Week 14"

I guess one of the nice things about Rodgers was just how stabilizing his play was. Almost like the team was allowed to play a bad game or two and then show up the next week and try again. 

3 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I'm just impressed how quickly this season has oscillated between "2023 is about rebuilding the cap and seeing what we have in Love" and "Joe Barry is holding this team back so much he needs fired in Week 14"

I guess one of the nice things about Rodgers was just how stabilizing his play was. Almost like the team was allowed to play a bad game or two and then show up the next week and try again. 

We throttled the Bears on week one while on the road.  Everyone's expectations went up after that win.  Then we won one in the 4'th quarter when we were clearly outplayed and outcoached for 3 quarters.  Again...needle was moving up.

Then we lost a few when we shouldn't have.

Won a few that we probably shouldn't have won.  Then laid an egg against two weak teams that we should have beaten.

This year should have been about one thing and one thing only.  The evaluation of Love as a long term franchise QB in GB.  But it seems like that evaluation was done pretty quickly and then expectations morphed into the playoffs.  And that is unfair, to me.

Now...I feel like we know that this offense can be quite good next year.  And the defense should be fine, but there's one guy holding it back.  Next year won't matter if Joe Barry is still around.  It will be a throw away year.

So?  Most of us want him gone now.  You can start preparing for next year, right now.  And our coach has chosen not to do that.  Barry lays another egg in one of these three remaining games and it won't be just Barry's whose seat is warm and hot.  That will transfer back to MLF, at least it should.  It won't lead to MLF being fired this year....but it will put even more pressure on him for next year.

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

We throttled the Bears on week one while on the road.  Everyone's expectations went up after that win.  Then we won one in the 4'th quarter when we were clearly outplayed and outcoached for 3 quarters.  Again...needle was moving up.

Then we lost a few when we shouldn't have.

Won a few that we probably shouldn't have won.  Then laid an egg against two weak teams that we should have beaten.

This year should have been about one thing and one thing only.  The evaluation of Love as a long term franchise QB in GB.  But it seems like that evaluation was done pretty quickly and then expectations morphed into the playoffs.  And that is unfair, to me.

Now...I feel like we know that this offense can be quite good next year.  And the defense should be fine, but there's one guy holding it back.  Next year won't matter if Joe Barry is still around.  It will be a throw away year.

So?  Most of us want him gone now.  You can start preparing for next year, right now.  And our coach has chosen not to do that.  Barry lays another egg in one of these three remaining games and it won't be just Barry's whose seat is warm and hot.  That will transfer back to MLF, at least it should.  It won't lead to MLF being fired this year....but it will put even more pressure on him for next year.

I agree, but with one exception. There's no reason to start preparing for next year while we still have a shot at this year's playoffs. Barry may stink, but he still provides this team with the best chance of making the playoffs. Once the season is over, I'd fully expect Barry to not be retained.

54 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I agree, but with one exception. There's no reason to start preparing for next year while we still have a shot at this year's playoffs. Barry may stink, but he still provides this team with the best chance of making the playoffs. Once the season is over, I'd fully expect Barry to not be retained.

Barry is likely the prime reason we're not sitting near the top of the division right now. They've given up the lead immediately in the 4th quarter after we've taken it 4 times this season and tried his damnedest to do it a 5th time but the Saints kicker shanked a gimme. Nothing about Joe Barry is our "best shot." If anything, he's been a massive hindrance to this team's 2023 success. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

...This year should have been about one thing and one thing only.  The evaluation of Love ...

Now...I feel like we know that this offense can be quite good next year.  ...

The concerns with Barry, I think, have somewhat masked limits with the offense.  Offense has struggled to clear 20 points without the benefit of turnovers. 

-Tampa, one TD drive longer than 4-yard turnover-enabled drive.  

-Giants, one TD drive prior to 2-minute turnover-enabled 36-yard drive.  

All the post-game has been Barry-Barry-Barry, for understandable reasons.  But the offense's inability to score more than one non-turnover-enabled TD has been pretty problematic also.  The 3-game winning streak, those were all turnover-enabled wins, which seems like an unreliable pathway for a team with such an interception-averse defense. 

Hopefully the off-season will lead to some changes that improve the **offense** somehow.  But between the play-caller, the QB, and the personnel, this **offense** has not really been very good this year, especially lately. 

I get it, a fresh year, a year of experience, Watson back, Musgrave back, some line improvement, and it would seem arrows up for next season.  But it's not like we've got a good offense as is, without some improvements.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, craig said:

The concerns with Barry, I think, have somewhat masked limits with the offense.  Offense has struggled to clear 20 points without the benefit of turnovers. 

-Tampa, one TD drive longer than 4-yard turnover-enabled drive.  

-Giants, one TD drive prior to 2-minute turnover-enabled 36-yard drive.  

All the post-game has been Barry-Barry-Barry, for understandable reasons.  But the offense's inability to score more than one non-turnover-enabled TD has been pretty problematic also.  The 3-game winning streak, those were all turnover-enabled wins, which seems like an unreliable pathway for a team with such an interception-averse defense. 

Hopefully the off-season will lead to some changes that improve the **offense** somehow.  But between the play-caller, the QB, and the personnel, this **offense** has not really been very good this year, especially lately. 

I get it, a fresh year, a year of experience, Watson back, Musgrave back, some line improvement, and it would seem arrows up for next season.  But it's not like we've got a good offense as is, without some improvements.  

We all knew there would be limits to an offense with a first year QB under center and a supporting cast of skill players largely in years one and two in the NFL.

Take away a quality veteran RB and elite LT due to injury and struggles were expected.

What was not expected was the continued gashing of the defense week in and week out.  Plenty of vets over there along with some high end starters.  And that unit has continued to underwhelm.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

I posted this in another thread but I'll repeat it here:  I do not want to be the #7 seed.  I have no desire to go to Dallas in the WC round and get blasted by MM and the freaking Cowboys in Dallas.  I seriously doubt Philly will get the #2 seed this year.  IMO we are still a year away from being a real playoff team so it won't break my heart if we miss getting in.