Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

14 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

If I had to guess now, I'd say that any new deal for Love would have cap hits of the following:

• 2024 - between 17-20m
  • 2025 - Between 26-29m
  • 2026 - Between 34-37m
  • 2027 onwards - Above 50m

The over 50m cap hits will be when the salary cap is over 300m so they will still be somewhat manageable.

I think this is pretty close.  If you use Burrow's contract as a similar example, you'd have $40-50m signing bonus. That would add $8-10m in 2024, which you would probably add to his existing cap hit of $13m in 2024. So a total of $21-23m. 

15 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

Yeah, this is the caliber of Kicker you can expect to be available to compete with Anders.

Kickers are as big of a crap shoot as any position in the league.  The DAL kicker came out of nowhere last season to be awesome.  We all know how MIN released Anders brother before he went on to become an all-pro K for the Raiders.  K's are flaky by nature.  Many fans seem to think bringing in another K solves the problem.  It doesn't.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Kickers are as big of a crap shoot as any position in the league.  The DAL kicker came out of nowhere last season to be awesome.  We all know how MIN released Anders brother before he went on to become an all-pro K for the Raiders.  K's are flaky by nature.  Many fans seem to think bringing in another K solves the problem.  It doesn't.

This is spot on. Almost have to wonder if riding it out with Carlson is the better course of action. I'd say, if he continues to struggle though TC and early into next season, might be time to pull the plug though. 

We could definitely upgrade his long snapper, that guy was not great this year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think bringing in competition for Anders and hoping one of them finds their groove is as good as it's going to get.  Just surprised by how many seem to think it's an easy fix.

Surprised by how many think it's a problem to begin with. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

If I recall correctly, Bassacia is the highest paid special teams coordinator in the league. Proof that buying the best coach money buy doesn't always work out.

The ST unit isnt immune to the thinning of the overall roster.

7 hours ago, Eternal said:

Should we negotiate with the Bears for the #1 to make it an absolute? Anything is better than what we had to deal with this season. Way too inconsistent.

We don't negotiate with terrorists.  In the case that the Bears get Beavis, we need to enact special order 452.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, persiandud said:

Matt LaFleur means business

-fired Barry

-fired the strength and conditioning coach

-brought in another kicker 

LET'S GO

After this happened .. I'll be the 1st to admit I was wrong about MLF.  He has balls as big as coconuts .. he did it and I again have mucho faith in him.  Gute .. get it done and lets go get a Super Bowl! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R T said:

Was the performance of Carlson acceptable? No.

I don't need or want him cut, but there has to be a nice year 2 jump or he's not going to be the kicker next year.

I would classify that as a potential problem.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Was the performance of Carlson acceptable? No.

I don't need or want him cut, but there has to be a nice year 2 jump or he's not going to be the kicker next year.

I would classify that as a potential problem.

I mean anyone who watched that 49ers game and doesn't think kicker is a problem is just coping.... I'm with you we absolutely need to see a year 2 jump. You can't have a kicker missing XP and clutch FGs or what the hell is the point? 

24th in FG %

DEAD LAST in XP % and by a longshot. 

You may be able to slip by teams in the regular season like that but you can't have a kicker losing you games especially if you think playoffs in our near future. Hell there were 16 kickers this year who missed 1 or less XP throughout the season. Another 5 who only missed 2 over the year. Carlson is in a league of his own for how poor he was at XPs this year. I could forgive that if he was clutch or hitting FGs at a decent rate but he doesn't do that near well enough to stay with him if he continues to struggle. 

1 hour ago, R T said:

A rookie kicker being shaky isn't especially surprising.

That being said, Anders had the most missed XPs in the league, and the missed FG vs SF puts him under 50% on attempts between 40-49 yards.  He's still got time to figure things out, but he's on a short leash for good reason.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

A rookie kicker being shaky isn't especially surprising.

That being said, Anders had the most missed XPs in the league, and the missed FG vs SF puts him under 50% on attempts between 40-49 yards.  He's still got time to figure things out, but he's on a short leash for good reason.

Yet he was 20 for 20 on FGs inside the 40. He is a rookie kicker that was coming off an injury in college that everyone should have understood there would be some ups and downs in his first season. Raymond is correct in that it is a 'potential problem', there is a big difference between potential problem and what the sky is always falling group that is trying to make a big deal out of every missed kick that happens. Every kicker missed kicks this season, not just Carlson. 

And no, Carlson's missed FG against SF is not the reason they lost that game.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Crosby didn't crack 80% till his 5th season. And in his 6th he dropped to 63%!!!!

Give the kid time. We are going to be scoring TDs not FGs next season anyway!!! But do need those XP converted...

I still believe he can pull it together. Next year we won't even need to pray.

With that said, there should be competition. 

Edited by Toddfather