Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Don't be surprised to see Gute double-dip at S in FA like he did with Preston and Z at EDGE. 

Need meets availability again it seems.

Agreed. 

Having options at safety on the roster allows the draft to be best player/ value vs force fitting for need

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Don't be surprised to see Gute double-dip at S in FA like he did with Preston and Z at EDGE. 

Need meets availability again it seems.

We double dipped on williams/jones in 2017 before gute officially took over too. 

Double dipped at TE last year. 

Double dipped at wr with watson and doubs.

Will be interesting to see if he does it by fa or draft, but i think we can expect a double dip. 

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Being 'in the market' is one thing. Being in the market at a competitive price, is not the same thing.

I think the Packers lowball quite often - which sometimes works out for them, but there are many occasions where you need to pay a little more than is comfortable, to secure a guy.

Getting players to Green Bay isn't easy.  Money talks and you often need to overpay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

We double dipped on williams/jones in 2017 before gute officially took over too. 

Double dipped at TE last year. 

Double dipped at wr with watson and doubs.

Will be interesting to see if he does it by fa or draft, but i think we can expect a double dip. 

Double dip at S, LB, OL, and RB.  What I'm thinking.  Nice having 11 picks.  That's 8 right there. 

• Like 1

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -  Per Tom Silverstein the Packers will cut De'Vondre Campbell with a post June 1 designation. His full contract will count on the salary cap and against their 90-man roster through June 1, then create $10.57M of 2024 cap space.

2025 dead cap will be $7.971M.

Can't say I'm shocked but I wasn't as sure it would happen with the new DC.  He played great, seemed to be a pro and a leader in the locker room. He got injured, play slipped and then was pouting on social media because fans were calling out his diminished play.  I don't know what was happening inside the building, but a leader doesn't get caught up in outside noise.  That contract is one Gute and Ball need to understand  got them caught in the moment and not looking to the future. Nothing that we can't overcome but not a cheap misstep. 

6 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Can't say I'm shocked but I wasn't as sure it would happen with the new DC.  He played great, seemed to be a pro and a leader in the locker room. He got injured, play slipped and then was pouting on social media because fans were calling out his diminished play.  I don't know what was happening inside the building, but a leader doesn't get caught up in outside noise.  That contract is one Gute and Ball need to understand  got them caught in the moment and not looking to the future. Nothing that we can't overcome but not a cheap misstep. 

From scrap heap to career year all- pro to big contract signing to  salary cap casualty.

A cautionary tale indeed.

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

Maybe just doing right by him and giving him maximum time on the market?

I mean, doing right by him is the obvious choice.  But IF they wanted to maximize his time on the market, they would have done this well before today.  The J1 release seems to imply that the money will be used towards a Love extension.

• Like 1