Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Not much of a fan of Dillon the player, but on this contract he's worth bringing back.  He either heard crickets on the FA market, or he REALLY wants to stay in GB.  I'd still expect a Shipley type RB to be targeted in the draft.  Does Dillon play ST?

He's draft insurance.  Brings some stability to the newish RB room.  Needs to get hungry.

Hes getting peanuts to play, money-wise it's great for the Packers.  Performance wise it's so-so.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Maybe he is the Deguara replacement?

What did Deguara do that Dillon couldn't do?  I'm not sophisticated enough to understand the nuances of what an H-back does, other than block and provide a check-down option sometimes.  All of which Dillon seems well equipped to do?  

I like having him back.  Just because he's such a classy guy, and my daughter likes him a lot.  I'd *LOVE* to have him succeed and be a contributing part of a really good team.  He's also a really good blocker.  And he's good in the passing game. 

I like that special CBA rule, make it easier for decent role players to get paid and stick, without cap-forcing the team to bounce them.   I kinda wish the CBA had more creative pathways to enable teams to keep draft picks.   

27 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Now we’re drafting a 3rd or 4th round RB.

Don't think Dillon changes the equation like at all.  But 3rd -4th round seems like a good bet.  Packers will take a back that none of us have heard of.  We'll be scratching our heads and he'll turn out to be awesome.  Or we'll just take Brooks...

• Like 1

I kinda wish the CBA had more creative pathways to enable teams to keep draft picks.   Like, reduce the cap hit by $1.4/year or 10%/year or something like that for anybody you keep.  

NBA has salary-cap mechanisms to enable teams to keep guys.  I think it would be nice if the NFL had more of those.  Reward good D+D teams like Packers.  Make it easier for fans to keep players that they have grown attached to, even if they aren't stars. 

Edited by craig
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, craig said:

I kinda wish the CBA had more creative pathways to enable teams to keep draft picks.   Like, reduce the cap hit by $1.4/year or 10%/year or something like that for anybody you keep.  

NBA has salary-cap mechanisms to enable teams to keep guys.  I think it would be nice if the NFL had more of those.  Reward good D+D teams like Packers.  Make it easier for fans to keep players that they have grown attached to, even if they aren't stars. 

I've never heard of this before but I really like this idea a lot.

23 minutes ago, craig said:

Yeah that’s one thing the NBA gets right and allows teams to go OTC in small margins for homegrown players. The same way teams are compensated when they develop a player and have them sign elsewhere, it would be great to give a small incentive to have some loyalty. Sports make so much money because they should be exciting to watch but also because fans are emotionally invested in their team. I’m pretty damn happy a fan favorite is back at a team friendly deal. I hope we get a story book type of year where AJD exceeds expectations and either gets himself a better deal or finds a niche with GB. Anyway, I’m just happy that next time I’m in DC eating some wings, the mayor might just walk in for another season. 

• Like 1

I'm certainly guilty of being one of the more vocal on-field Dillon critics - easy to be with his decreased effectiveness the last 6 games - 3.16ypc.      However, basically getting him for vet minimum for cap purposes.   Not going to argue with that and it is cool to root for Dillon the man.   I've had my say but I'll accept this is a good deal and I promise I won't be that guy next season that picks apart every run and fills up the chats bitching about everything Dillon does or doesn't do.  Welcome back and hope to start preparing some crow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'll say it. 

I like AJ Dillon. 

I'm very pleased with this deal. 

That's a couple very physical guys Packers will be able to run at people. Will Shipley would be a nice complementary piece.

6 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Not much of a fan of Dillon the player, but on this contract he's worth bringing back.  He either heard crickets on the FA market, or he REALLY wants to stay in GB.  I'd still expect a Shipley type RB to be targeted in the draft.  Does Dillon play ST?

Primarily he's been on Punt Coverages, and I know that only because of the occasional time when the camera's pointed at the Punter's *ss and you can see the other numbers on the back of the jerseys. You never get to see the numbers of the guys blocking for the PR so I don't know about there. I'm pretty sure I never saw him on Kickoffs.

5 hours ago, craig said:

What did Deguara do that Dillon couldn't do?  I'm not sophisticated enough to understand the nuances of what an H-back does, other than block and provide a check-down option sometimes.  All of which Dillon seems well equipped to do?  

I like having him back.  Just because he's such a classy guy, and my daughter likes him a lot.  I'd *LOVE* to have him succeed and be a contributing part of a really good team.  He's also a really good blocker.  And he's good in the passing game. 

I like that special CBA rule, make it easier for decent role players to get paid and stick, without cap-forcing the team to bounce them.   I kinda wish the CBA had more creative pathways to enable teams to keep draft picks.   

Deguara wasn't really used as the traditional FB battering ram. He was typically in motion and used more as an open-space blocker. By that I mean instead of cramming himself into a hole he was side-to-side, engaging isolated defenders(a couple of times he blocked Parsons during the Dallas game like that). I'm not one-hundred percent sure Dillon can replicate the needed mobility for that role, as it's more of a quickness/agility thing.