Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If the Packers extend Clark, this would be about the max type of deal I'd be interested in. Extend him about 2 years in the low-20s AAV. 

Clark is 1.5 years younger (28.5 years vs 30 years) than Buckner even though Clark probably has more millage on him. So I expect the Packers to give him a 3-4 year extension. The annual compensation for Buckner is a good comp for Clark. 

36 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If the Packers extend Clark, this would be about the max type of deal I'd be interested in. Extend him about 2 years in the low-20s AAV. 

I could live with what the Hawks gave Leonard Williams - 3 years $64.5m. Both these deals are similar AAV. I hope Clark can live with that...

• Like 1

We certainly have the cash to extend Clark if we want. If we whiff on DL in this draft (a strong possibility IMO if we're focused on DBs and OL) then I wouldn't be shocked to see something announced sometime during TC.

18 hours ago, DecoctionMash said:

No one can question our international fans’ loyalty and love of the Green Bay Packers. Much respect. 

If they were real fans, they would move to the United States and attend all the games.   :P 

On 4/14/2024 at 7:48 AM, turf toe said:

Cheesehead TV claimed insider info years ago that Bakhtiari would be a PB LT, All pro G and a HOF center, so I tend to hit pause on insider info from Cheesehead TV, lol

when I watch tape of Bakhtiari I see little difference with Toms, both play wide and squared up on pass rusher with solid anchor, point is Toms could also play LT, wouldn't shock me a bit if we flipped Walker and Toms.

what to me seems illogical, is for a player like Toms to move to a position that pays less then a position where he is now one of the best in the league at, or possibly a switch to the highest paid position at LT, Toms plays like a first round draft pick, no way I see him moving anywhere inside. jmo

Couple things there, and I do agree with you.

Tom and Bakh are very similar.  I saw and see them both this way.  LT should be their best spot.  Then LG, then RT then C, then RG.  I'm not sure Bakh would have made a high end center.  Tom?  He seems a little squattier, like he can get lower easier and maybe he would be fine there.

But both were best served playing tackle, first left tackle, then right tackle.  What Tom did at RT last year really impressed me.  That is typically more of a "power" tackle than LT.  Tom had enough power, and just excellent feet and balance to get to the second level often.  

If Tom is to move, my hope would be he is moved to LT.  Then you have the Walker issue because I don't see a guard or C there at all with him.

End of the day?  Yeah, the Packers have earned the benefit of the doubt for me.  I'm good with whatever they do.

23 hours ago, turf toe said:

please explain Packers style of pass pro? confused, Toms has excelled in gap or zone blocking, and run blocking is a learned skill set for most pro OL man.

why would our coaches (anyone consider him as elite Center if he can't run block? 

I think your down grading what could be a strength simply because he doesn't top 320 lbs

Blocking is more about leverage, rooting a guy out rather then pushing him, Sitton, Lang, Linsley, Rivera etc. where no bigger and where pretty good run blockers.

What was mentioned, with Tom, is run blocking by AlexG.

I did not see any fault in his run blocking last year.  He is not and will not be a road grater, but with how he moves, he gets into position well and locks guys up.  In fact, he moves effortlessly and under control (balance).  I saw that for most of the year out of him.  Those feet and that brain gets it done, and it just looks different because typical RT are maulers.  Tom is not.

I checked PFF....not saying they are the end all be all, but....

79.7 overall rating.  72.3 in pass.  81.2 in run.  They saw his run blocking as being very good.  

And if I'm being fair here....Tom's rookie year, his run block was 55.7 on 193 snaps.  But his pass block was 78.1 on 296 snaps.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

What was mentioned, with Tom, is run blocking by AlexG.

I did not see any fault in his run blocking last year.  He is not and will not be a road grater, but with how he moves, he gets into position well and locks guys up.  In fact, he moves effortlessly and under control (balance).  I saw that for most of the year out of him.  Those feet and that brain gets it done, and it just looks different because typical RT are maulers.  Tom is not.

I checked PFF....not saying they are the end all be all, but....

79.7 overall rating.  72.3 in pass.  81.2 in run.  They saw his run blocking as being very good.  

And if I'm being fair here....Tom's rookie year, his run block was 55.7 on 193 snaps.  But his pass block was 78.1 on 296 snaps.

To put this in perspective here. 

We ran 28 rushing plays against the 49ers.

The RT position had:

9 Reach Blocks (Zone)

7 Stand Alone Down Blocks (Gap)

5 Combo Blocks (Gap)

2 Pulls (Gap)

3 Upfield Invites (Neither)

2 QB Sneaks (Neither)

Our RT in our highest leverage game of the year was running some kind of gap assignment at a 2:1 ratio compared to when he was running zone assignments. 

The drive skills absolutely matter. 

*To add more perspective to this, I don't know when Nijman came in the game for Tom exactly, but 4 of the last 5 runs were reach blocks. With Tom in the game, the ratio was likely more like 3:1. 

** QB Sneaks also obviously favor drive skills. 

*** When it comes to 2nd level blocks, there are obviously some that are arbitrary. When a Tackle has a kill shot on a LB, generally they're just trying to bury the guy, not hook them. 

+++

The issue with PFF grades for OL is that they're the MLB equivalent of batting average. Tom does a pretty decent job at never getting completely dominated in the run game. So he avoids a lot of the red marks that kill your PFF grade. 

But what you see a lot of is, a double team where Runyan sets him even with the DT and goes to the next level, and the DT fights through him and hits the RB 1 yard past the line of scrimmage. Momentum carries everybody forward, it ends up with a gain of 4 yards. PFF isn't going to knock him for 4 yards, that's a 68th-ish percentile run. But when you're watching it, you're really wanting Tom to seal that hole and get the back clean through the first level. 

• Like 3

@AlexGreen#20  you went into a lot more depth than what I can glean from PFF.

I looked at his scores, per game, in the run game.

I'm not cherry picking (for better or worse) one game.

In the beginning of the year when the OL just looked bad, Tom had some very respectable scores.

In the end, our Panthers game was a clunker for him.  Then scores got a little better in the stretch run, but they weren't all excellent.  His excellent game was against Dallas.

San Fran?  53.4 pass block.  75.1 run block.

I thought for sure I'd see higher scores when we were on a roll, but that wasn't the case.  Some of his best regular season scores came early, which was surprising to me.

I'm not disagreeing with you on anything you stated above, rather I'm stating that what I saw from PFF scores kind of shocked me in how those scores were, when compared to our better games versus our worse games.

And?  I thought maybe I'd see a change in the scores (to the better) the more we ran the ball, especially in our "good" stretch run.  And I didn't see much of a change there.

Long way of sayin'.....not sure what I can glean from PFF (which was your point).  But, I can say, Tom played better at RT than I thought he would.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

@AlexGreen#20  you went into a lot more depth than what I can glean from PFF.

I looked at his scores, per game, in the run game.

I'm not cherry picking (for better or worse) one game.

In the beginning of the year when the OL just looked bad, Tom had some very respectable scores.

In the end, our Panthers game was a clunker for him.  Then scores got a little better in the stretch run, but they weren't all excellent.  His excellent game was against Dallas.

San Fran?  53.4 pass block.  75.1 run block.

I thought for sure I'd see higher scores when we were on a roll, but that wasn't the case.  Some of his best regular season scores came early, which was surprising to me.

I'm not disagreeing with you on anything you stated above, rather I'm stating that what I saw from PFF scores kind of shocked me in how those scores were, when compared to our better games versus our worse games.

And?  I thought maybe I'd see a change in the scores (to the better) the more we ran the ball, especially in our "good" stretch run.  And I didn't see much of a change there.

Long way of sayin'.....not sure what I can glean from PFF (which was your point).  But, I can say, Tom played better at RT than I thought he would.  

What you're seeing is statistical noise. 

• Like 2