Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If we had gotten rookie year Stokes the last two year, rather than injured Stokes, this would not be a conversation. The conversation would be tag him and then let's try and extend him. 

We are in a very different place due to the injuries. I'd rather take my chance he proves himself this year and if we have to franchise him and then extend him. Even try and extend him 1/2 through this year if he shows up and is rookie year Stokes. 

This is pretty much where I'm at

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think the guy is more likely to be cut in camp than get the 5'th year option.

His career trajectory is that of Kevin King.  Great early, injuries happen, play diminishes.

I hope he turns it around.  I was really looking forward to him and JA pairing up for a few years.

I have hopes Hafley uses him to his strengths.   I think Barry did an awful job in tailoring his defense to what our players do best.     Can't discount him being a cut option but I'm really hopeful for a bounce back season and an ensuing offseason full of fan grumbles and firegute memes on why we didn't give him the 5th year option or sign him to an early extension.

@Scoremore this article is for you. Not saying I agree with it, but this journalist, clearly has Melton as WR #6. Not saying I agree with this sentiment, but given Heath's special teams activity, it's sort of reality. 

The Packers May Have Too Many Good Receivers (msn.com)

Malik Heath, who is all but locked in as the fifth spot in the wide receiver room, is by no means expendable at this point in his young career. He played more snaps on special teams than any WR on the Packers in 2023, and he played on nearly a quarter of offensive snaps last year, the majority of which came in the latter half of the season when they were vying for a playoff spot.

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

@Scoremore this article is for you. Not saying I agree with it, but this journalist, clearly has Melton as WR #6. Not saying I agree with this sentiment, but given Heath's special teams activity, it's sort of reality. 

The Packers May Have Too Many Good Receivers (msn.com)

Malik Heath, who is all but locked in as the fifth spot in the wide receiver room, is by no means expendable at this point in his young career. He played more snaps on special teams than any WR on the Packers in 2023, and he played on nearly a quarter of offensive snaps last year, the majority of which came in the latter half of the season when they were vying for a playoff spot.

He was inactive against Dallas.  All you need to know.  I really like Heath too.  Still don't know what we have in Dubose either.  Haven't forgotten about him.  We are ridiculously deep at WR.  Gute took shots and hit on all of them.  Crazy to think about.  Still Melton is #5 he moved ahead of Heath at the end of the year. 

Headline of the article nails it.  Just wondering if Love and scheme is making all these guys look better than they are.  But you watch the games they are all making plays.  Be nice to trade one of them get some draft capital in return.  Just not the year to do it.  Think they will roster 6 WR's.  Last spot will be between Heath and Dubose.  Other we'll try to stash on the PS.  

Thanks for the article Old Guy.  Maybe I'm overselling Melton a bit but I just love the kid. 

31 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I have hopes Hafley uses him to his strengths.   I think Barry did an awful job in tailoring his defense to what our players do best.     Can't discount him being a cut option but I'm really hopeful for a bounce back season and an ensuing offseason full of fan grumbles and firegute memes on why we didn't give him the 5th year option or sign him to an early extension.

It happens and guys get over it notably Casey Hayward. If Stokes is healthy and plays his way into being a clear #2, I'd try and hang on to him 

12 minutes ago, spilltray said:

It happens and guys get over it notably Casey Hayward. If Stokes is healthy and plays his way into being a clear #2, I'd try and hang on to him 

Yah for sure.  Don't have much hope for him though.  He better come into camp ready this year.  Honestly I'm already thinking he's a bust.  Packers will probably draft another CB this year.  He might not even make the team.  Hope I'm wrong but just can't see him turning it around from what we've seen.  Really sucks that injury at Detroit was nasty. 

23 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Thanks for the article Old Guy.  Maybe I'm overselling Melton a bit but I just love the kid. 

Here is where I'm at.  We can differ on our opinion of Melton and his place on the team or even in the league.

But, the bolded part?  That's our common ground.  I don't think there is anyone out there that isn't loving the kid and rooting hard for him.

28 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

He was inactive against Dallas.  All you need to know.  I really like Heath too.  Still don't know what we have in Dubose either.  Haven't forgotten about him.  We are ridiculously deep at WR.  Gute took shots and hit on all of them.  Crazy to think about.  Still Melton is #5 he moved ahead of Heath at the end of the year. 

Headline of the article nails it.  Just wondering if Love and scheme is making all these guys look better than they are.  But you watch the games they are all making plays.  Be nice to trade one of them get some draft capital in return.  Just not the year to do it.  Think they will roster 6 WR's.  Last spot will be between Heath and Dubose.  Other we'll try to stash on the PS.  

I am just joking with you! I am hoping you aren't overselling Melton at all and he really breaks out this year. It's going to be difficult since the 4 in front of him are somewhat solid in their respective positions. Always ways to find room for a 4.3 something WR. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Would really suck losing Clark.  Not sure how we'd replace him especially give the lack of DT talent in this years draft.  That's quite a nice package tho.  Be hard to turn it down.  It would have me thinking for sure. 

4 hours ago, Scoremore said:

I saw a picture of Debose at the voluntary workouts. The guy is long and tall, a full head above most of our other receivers. He had pretty good body control from what I remember from his scouting highlights. If he can bring speed and hands to the party he could be a player. Clearly a long shot but it will be interesting to see what he can do before cut downs.

If I were a deep roster WR in GB, I would be bringing Clifford his coffee every morning. Love is not going to get more than a few quarters of work in the preseason and Clifford has shown he does mind airing it out. A few big highlights can be great for the resume for the fringe guys. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Would really suck losing Clark.  Not sure how we'd replace him especially give the lack of DT talent in this years draft.  That's quite a nice package tho.  Be hard to turn it down.  It would have me thinking for sure. 

The price for quality DTs has gone up. Call it the Aaron Donald effect but it’s probably the fastest place to get pressure in an NFL world were the ball is out in 2.5 seconds on a typical play. I think the price for great guards is also going to go up correspondingly and hopefully we pick up at least one of those in a few weeks. 

Getting rid of KC means you’ll have to spend a lot to replace him or luck out in the draft. I highly doubt he’s considered a movable piece but yeah, it would take a huge offer like the one laid out in that article. 

4 hours ago, Scoremore said:

So, Dallas gets Clark on an expiring contract.  No guarantees to re-sign him.  And if Clark agrees, they are paying large for him.

We get a second round pick in 2024.  First round and fourth round pick in 2025.

LOL!

40 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I saw a picture of Debose at the voluntary workouts. The guy is long and tall, a full head above most of our other receivers. He had pretty good body control from what I remember from his scouting highlights. If he can bring speed and hands to the party he could be a player. Clearly a long shot but it will be interesting to see what he can do before cut downs.

If I were a deep roster WR in GB, I would be bringing Clifford his coffee every morning. Love is not going to get more than a few quarters of work in the preseason and Clifford has shown he does mind airing it out. A few big highlights can be great for the resume for the fringe guys. 

This is one of the best takes I've ever read on this forum! So true, yet LOL 

Not sure the #'s for WR matter much.  Every guy has different qualities.  Every matchup and game plan is different, using different packages.  Watson is injured a lot.  Wicks is injured a lot.  Reed is injured a lot.  Doubs has had injuries.  it's kinda rare that your #5 guy is actually #5 on any given Sunday.  I expect they'll keep at least 6, given ST.  

Dubose is tall and coordinated.  But he is slow. I don't imagine he's on the same plateau as Heath and Melton coming into camp.