Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 4/18/2024 at 1:34 PM, TheGreatZepp said:

I can not say enough good things about Donald, for as great of a player as he is, he’s an even better human.

Driver was a guy when you brought rookies into the organization you told them "Be like that guy".

He walked the walk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, craig said:

Hope he’s practice squad again. Him making roster probably means somebody got in trouble or got hurt.  

Not necessarily. He was hurt during TC last year and didn’t have a chance to show what he could do. It might mean that he’s just better than Heath or Melton. 

I don’t think he could pass any of the big four though. Watson, Reed, Doubs and Wicks are locks. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not necessarily. He was hurt during TC last year and didn’t have a chance to show what he could do. It might mean that he’s just better than Heath or Melton. 

I don’t think he could pass any of the big five four though. Watson, Reed, Doubs and Wicks are locks. 

Like I said before, the difference between Dubose, Heath, Melton, and Toure is not a huge gap.  Last offseason, Toure came into camp on fire.  Heath built a connection with Clifford early on in practice.  Dubose was fighting little injuries, and Melton was just the fast guy in camp.  As real camp came through, Toure was still ahead of the rookies.  Heath still had the best connection with the back-up QB, and did some dirty work as well.  Melton showed he had chops.  And Dubose was still hurt for most of the camp and preseason.  During the season, Toure didn't make the most of his opportunities, and Melton began to get called up.  Heath was able to replicate some of the "big" WR stuff that Watson does while Watson was hurt.  And Dubose red-shirted the season.  It would not surprise me if any of these four made the team, or were cut.  We could take Johnny Wilson in the third round and cut them all.  

45 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Like I said before, the difference between Dubose, Heath, Melton, and Toure is not a huge gap.  Last offseason, Toure came into camp on fire.  Heath built a connection with Clifford early on in practice.  Dubose was fighting little injuries, and Melton was just the fast guy in camp.  As real camp came through, Toure was still ahead of the rookies.  Heath still had the best connection with the back-up QB, and did some dirty work as well.  Melton showed he had chops.  And Dubose was still hurt for most of the camp and preseason.  During the season, Toure didn't make the most of his opportunities, and Melton began to get called up.  Heath was able to replicate some of the "big" WR stuff that Watson does while Watson was hurt.  And Dubose red-shirted the season.  It would not surprise me if any of these four made the team, or were cut.  We could take Johnny Wilson in the third round and cut them all.  

Until you made this post, I had totally forgotten Toure was even on the roster.  I should apologize to him and his family for naming him my breakout player for 2023.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Like I said before, the difference between Dubose, Heath, Melton, and Toure is not a huge gap.  ..

Toure came in as #3 receiver, and played his way down to 8th.  While being the oldest and most experienced WR.  We can generalize that all back-of-roster guys are in the same who-cares-anyway bubble, I get that.  But I feel like Toure is well behind at this point.  And without a niche....  He's not fast or a big-play guy like Melton; he lacks size for ST role; and he's not a Lazardesque blocker.  Good, likable, hard-working guy who earned two years of opportunity; I was as optimistic as the next guy (and more than most) for him entering last season.  (I assumed he'd enter as tenured #3, and might split with or get more snaps than Reed.)

But I'm thinking now that in a D+D world, you often get your window; but a time comes when that window goes to somebody else.  Often window is three seasons or three camps.  This being 3rd camp, I'm guessing in absence of injuries in front of him, he'll likely get replaced by other younger D+D guy(s).  

• Like 2

On 4/20/2024 at 6:37 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Toure is not in the same tier as Melton or Heath. 

Melton is actually being underrated around here, was a steal for Seattle to get in Rd 7, legit route savviness, explosive and solid hands. I had him in Rd 5. DuBose was a draftable grade as well, will be interesting to see him healthy, legit ball skills there, like a poor man's Wicks. 

Toure has no shot this year IMO, might see him cut after the draft as we bring in UDFAs as a courtesy so he can catch on elsewhere before camp.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Toure is not in the same tier as Melton or Heath. 

Melton is actually being underrated around here, was a steal for Seattle to get in Rd 7, legit route savviness, explosive and solid hands. I had him in Rd 5. DuBose was a draftable grade as well, will be interesting to see him healthy, legit ball skills there, like a poor man's Wicks. 

Toure has no shot this year IMO, might see him cut after the draft as we bring in UDFAs as a courtesy so he can catch on elsewhere before camp.

Agree, he’s not making the final roster, better to just move on. Without any strong bond with Love who would of thrown to Toure in 2022 with the 2’s, I can’t see a realistic path to the roster.

53 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Agree, he’s not making the final roster, better to just move on. Without any strong bond with Love who would of thrown to Toure in 2022 with the 2’s, I can’t see a realistic path to the roster.

He'd be fine on the practice squad if it came down to that.  I don't see the rush to just cut him loose. 

• Like 1