Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It's just the evolution of athlete. It's not like the 60s football players were 6'1 230 and there were tons of 6'5 250 guys around in other sports. The guys who played FB then we're the biggest, best football players in the world, just like the guys today are. Lombardi isn't coaching against today's teams just like BB isn't coaching in the 60s. You can't hold it against the players or coaches of those eras that they're players werent as big or fast, they were playing against guys equally matched to their players just like today.

Also I was able to spend a good deal of time with Willie Wood through the years as he was a friend to one on my great grandparents. Players of that era ended their careers in a lot rougher shape than today. Equipment is leagues better today, science and the general mindset of players is different. Guys aren't out there looking to inflict pain on their opponent.

I only slightly disagree about the mindset. The Players of the past are lionized to sometimes extreme degrees. You absolutely had headhunters, but these teams were far closer to beer leagues than they were professional organizations.

The reasons players who played back then ended their careers in a lot rougher shape is that they were playing longer because the money wasn't as lucrative and also people didn't know half as much about taking care of their bodies. 

Here, give this one 15 minutes of your time, I promise you'll find it worthy

You just can't compare across eras for a thousand reasons.

Lombardi was a great coach, so is BB and so was Bill Walsh and a few others - but they each coached in their own unique moment in time and they each were considered the very best in their time.

The reasons the old timers are in such tough shape is because they played a rougher game, had really crappy equipment, rotten medical care, terrible field conditions and no idea how to care for their bodies like today's athletes.

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_better_stronger#t-796008

Edited by Shanedorf

5 hours ago, squire12 said:

Bill Parcells was the HC for NE in 1996

He most certainly was. But I don't think he enjoyed it very much

And since you also know who his Defensive Coordinator was that fine January Day in New Orleans...

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to share it with the rest of the class ?

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

And since you also know who his Defensive Coordinator was that fine January Day in New Orleans...

AL Groh

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Secondary – Bill Belichick  , Squire wins this one.

• Like 1

"In Gosselin’s rankings, the Packers finished in the top 5 in four categories: punt return (second overall), lowest opponent punting average (second), lowest opponent net punting (fifth) and points allowed on special teams (tied for first with zero). They finished last in two categories: punts inside the 20 and field goals made.

The Packers’ biggest problem on special teams this past season was penalties. They finished with 22 accepted special teams infractions -- twice what the NFL-leading Vikings had in that category. The Jaguars had the most special teams penalties with 26"

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43479/ron-zook-brings-packers-special-teams-back-to-respectable-level

4 hours ago, Leader said:

"In Gosselin’s rankings, the Packers finished in the top 5 in four categories: punt return (second overall), lowest opponent punting average (second), lowest opponent net punting (fifth) and points allowed on special teams (tied for first with zero). They finished last in two categories: punts inside the 20 and field goals made.

The Packers’ biggest problem on special teams this past season was penalties. They finished with 22 accepted special teams infractions -- twice what the NFL-leading Vikings had in that category. The Jaguars had the most special teams penalties with 26"

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43479/ron-zook-brings-packers-special-teams-back-to-respectable-level

At least this unit was average ... still not sure why we settle for mediocrity though.  There are some special teams coaches in this league that are always at or near the top of this list .. if you can't snag one of them try to snag one of their top assistants.  Zook hasn't been terrible, but I don't think we can say he's been good either.  3 of the top 10 units this year saw head coaching changes .. could have maybe upgraded over Zook with one of those S/T coaches.

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

At least this unit was average ... still not sure why we settle for mediocrity though.  There are some special teams coaches in this league that are always at or near the top of this list .. if you can't snag one of them try to snag one of their top assistants.  Zook hasn't been terrible, but I don't think we can say he's been good either.  3 of the top 10 units this year saw head coaching changes .. could have maybe upgraded over Zook with one of those S/T coaches.

I didn't read too far into how they came up with their numbers but I have a hard time blaming the ST coach for stuff like "punts inside the 20" when our defense was bottom of the barrel as far as giving up field position and our offense wasn't much better as far as gaining field position.

"Even though Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst plans to wait until after the NFL draft to consider outside candidates for his personnel department, that didn’t stop him from promoting a promising young scout"

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/24/packers-promote-former-safety-brandian-ross-scouting-role/1063548001/

1 hour ago, Leader said:

"Even though Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst plans to wait until after the NFL draft to consider outside candidates for his personnel department, that didn’t stop him from promoting a promising young scout"

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/24/packers-promote-former-safety-brandian-ross-scouting-role/1063548001/

So sick of former players.