Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

11 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I didn't purchase the highest end PFF that shows me pressures, but pro football reference has him at....17.  And it has his 2018 pressures at 35.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitZa00.htm

PFR seems to have a different threshold for a hurry. Might have to physically hit the QB. They list Z.Smith as 11 QB hits, 6 of which are knockdowns. Which leaves 5 non-knockdown hits, which is pretty close to the 6 hurries listed. Hard to believe he's only had 1 hurry all year that wasn't a hit. The only things they add for the pressure stat are hurries+knockdowns+sacks, with no mention of hits, so the ''hits' must overlap in some way with at least some of the other stats. 

Maybe PFF only counts 'hits' if they are a knockdown, since they list 7 hits for Smith. They list him at 18 hurries, and the hits do not overlap in that stat. 

Strange that all the numbers are a little off. you'd think at least hits and knockdowns are discrete things that wouldn't have the discrepancies that you might see in how different places count hurries. 

9 hours ago, Leader said:

Tom Silverstein: Packers NT Kenny Clark said he will appeal a $10,527 fine he received for an unsportsmanlike penalty against the Cowboys. He was fined $21,056 in Week 4 for a late hit vs. the #Eagles. "I've been playing for free the last two weeks," he said.

This is why I'll never get upset at any player doing whatever they can to get as much money as they can by any means possible. When I was younger, I fell victim to siding with the team/owners(specifically the Javon Walker situation). Football is the most violent sport and these dudes got the worst contract situations of any league, as well as having the shortest career arcs as a whole.

Hoping GB locks Clark up soon to a hefty extension. He's more than earned it by now

• Like 2

9 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

This is why I'll never get upset at any player doing whatever they can to get as much money as they can by any means possible. When I was younger, I fell victim to siding with the team/owners(specifically the Javon Walker situation). Football is the most violent sport and these dudes got the worst contract situations of any league, as well as having the shortest career arcs as a whole.

Hoping GB locks Clark up soon to a hefty extension. He's more than earned it by now

jones got ******* fined for waving lol. Its a goddamn joke. you should only get fined for stuff like the hit on williams

18 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

jones got ******* fined for waving lol. Its a goddamn joke. you should only get fined for stuff like the hit on williams

He should've been penalized and had the TD taken away, as far as I was concerned. Is it really that hard to play by the rules? 

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

For waving at a guy? Cmon now even if it is, that's ridiculously dumb rule.

It's taunting, and taunting is against the rules. So don't taunt your opponents, especially while the play is still in progress. I realize I'm in the minority, because most fans nowadays enjoy taunting in pro sports, even though it remains completely illegal in high school and college sports. 

1 hour ago, Greg C. said:

It's taunting, and taunting is against the rules. So don't taunt your opponents, especially while the play is still in progress. I realize I'm in the minority, because most fans nowadays enjoy taunting in pro sports, even though it remains completely illegal in high school and college sports. 

The fining part is what gets me. Even though it is the rules I just dont agree with it to a certain extent. They shouldnt get fined for such little things like this especially how much some guys make. I think you should only get fined if it's something like a nasty uncalled for hit or something

I think I'd only be against taunting if it was something really really bad. Waving is like such a little thing that there should be levels to what to call for taunting. He didnt even get flagged.

2 hours ago, Greg C. said:

Illegal hits are so much wore and you see the same amount of a fine here for the wave than a helmet to helmet hit .... ridiculous.  Sure, it was a wave and shouldn't have done it but to have the same fine amount is just plain goofy.  Think most fans don't enjoy taunting as much as you think .. I don't necessarily like it but pro sports compared to high school is a little bit of overkill. 

Lulz. You're definitely in the minority. The team page posted it as the recap picture. The NFL homepage posted it as a highlight. If they use it for marketing I really don't think it should be fined. 

Like when Zeke jumped in the salvation army cauldron. It's silly nonsense, not malicious.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Lulz. You're definitely in the minority. The team page posted it as the recap picture. The NFL homepage posted it as a highlight. If they use it for marketing I really don't think it should be fined. 

Like when Zeke jumped in the salvation army cauldron. It's silly nonsense, not malicious.

Yeah it's messed up that a player gets fined for something the NFL puts up on its homepage. That should be an easy appeal to win with a competent rep.

• Like 2

Illegal hits can be unintentional. Sloppy form,bang bang, ect. Waving is a clear decision. I agree players with a track record of doing it should be fined and suspended more aggressively for repeat offenders. Guys like Burfict and Brandon Merriweather should have been suspend earlier, more often, and for longer.