Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

We've done a lot of talking about Aaron Rodgers this and Aaron Rodgers that, but the key to having offensive success is Aaron Jones.  Lets just run the hell out of it from here on out.  Rodgers' QBR is 67.7 with Jones on the field ... 28.7 with him off the field.  It's Jones time .. no more keeping him fresh BS.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/02/this-stat-demonstrates-aaron-jones-incredible-value-to-packers-offense/

Good God that is embarrassing for Rodgers. 

Rodgers has become Troy Aikman. 

50 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Lazard is on the right trajectory, but we probably won't know until next year whether he's Jarrett Boykin or something more. Either way, it shouldn't stop you from actively looking to improve the WR position this off-season. For me, it's priority No. 1 followed by ILB and DL and maybe OT depending on what we do with Bulaga. 

Lazard has an alpha mentality that I don’t recall seeing in the other flash in the pan types we’ve had over the years. I already regret saying this but I feel his upside could be a poor man’s (like desperately poor, poverty-stricken, starving hungry) Michael Thomas. 

Lazard as a #2 WR....

I'm going to admit something.  PFF watches more NFL than I do.  And they came up with a way to "score" every position and every play.  I have not.

If I look at their work....Lazard has earned a score of 72.2.  That is good enough for #44 in the league.  And he has enough snaps to qualify.

Are these guys listed #1 WR's?  Edelman, Marquise Brown, Fitz, Davis, OBJ, Robby Anderson, Ju Ju Smith Schuster.  

If so, they are ranked behind Lazard.

Forget upside, forget QB, this is just PFF rankings.

Lazard has had a kind of amazing year.  And?  I dare say he's getting better.  His high point TD catch was a thing of beauty last week.  

I once thought he was a solid #3.  I was wrong.  He's got #2 WR ability.  Boundary ability.

Adams earned a score of 83.5.  Good enough for #10 in the league.  Highest grade was Chris Godwin, 90.7.  Next was Julio Jones, 90.6.  Then Michael Thomas, 90.4.  For context.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Golfman said:

No thanks because neither of those statements are true IN MY OPINION!

But that would mean there are only 9 - #2 receivers better than Lazard according to your 70% claim. 

Here the the ones that are indisputable! I didn't get into the questionable ones, like CIn with Green out for the year, for instance. 

Thielen - MN

Washington - Pitts

Metcalf - Sea

Kirk - Az

Ridley - ATL

Snead - Balt

Gabriel - CH

Gallop - Dal 

Jones - Det

Beckham j- Cle

Fuller - Hou

KC - take your pick Hardman or Watkins

M. Williams - SD

Cupp - Rams

Crowder - Jets

Renfro - Raiders

Samuel - SF

Godwin - TB

Davis - TN

That's 19 and there are 5-6 that we could debate! These are not debatable! 

Have a good night though! NOW admit you were wrong! LOL

I'd debate a lot of those versus Lazard.  Lazard has been really, really good.  

I'll bold who I would debate, based on this year's play, not past reputation or future potential.

My toughest debateable one was Thielen.  I think he's pretty banged up this year.  Great player, though.  The rest?  Easily can debate merits.  Eh, maybe not OBJ.  If talent enters into the equation, I'd remove him.  Head and shoulders "better", but has not played better this year.

And...very interesting to think about.  I take no offense to your list, and I do know that you like Lazard and I get your point.

I just feel like Lazard has come out of nowhere and done really well.  He's succeeded where many young WR's have failed.

Maybe if he trained with Randy Moss, we'd all wet our pants about his potential.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Lazard's grade is like talking about MVS last year. SOMEONE will be the #2-3-4 wr, get snaps and targets. No matter how bad they are that happens. The Packers WRs are getting reps because there is no one better to take them. Regardless of PFF scores, I don't think Lazard is a good enough #2 if you want to be a contender.

Boy.  I don't know.  The kid has a nice ability in high pointing the ball.  A+ in the run game and physical enough to make that contested skinny post catch.

I'm starting to really believe that he has the skills you want as a #2 boundary WR.  He's got height on every corner.  High points the ball.  He should get a few 50/50 deep balls a game.  And if our QB ever comes around to throwing that well again, he is a weapon.

Maybe I'm just in a good mood after the little holiday.  

I remember a time when Rodgers would make so-called ordinary receivers into superstars.  Good times.

Lazard, with a little more accuracy from Rodgers, could be made into a real weapon.  Rodgers already trusts him - now it’s on MLF and Rodgers to help with his ascension, or watch him slip to mediocrity.  Of course, it also falls on Lazard to continue helping himself.

56 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We've done a lot of talking about Aaron Rodgers this and Aaron Rodgers that, but the key to having offensive success is Aaron Jones.  Lets just run the hell out of it from here on out.  Rodgers' QBR is 67.7 with Jones on the field ... 28.7 with him off the field.  It's Jones time .. no more keeping him fresh BS.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/02/this-stat-demonstrates-aaron-jones-incredible-value-to-packers-offense/

Yep. 3 game season at most left...play your studs

7 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I remember a time when Rodgers would make so-called ordinary receivers into superstars.  Good times.

Lazard, with a little more accuracy from Rodgers, could be made into a real weapon.  Rodgers already trusts him - now it’s on MLF and Rodgers to help with his ascension, or watch him slip to mediocrity.  Of course, it also falls on Lazard to continue helping himself.

I like Lazard a lot … what he's done from the start of the season to where he's now is remarkable.  I do think Rodgers does trust Adams and Lazard.  Whether he's a #2 or a #3 receiver is open for debate but upside is real.  Regardless, that's what they have this year.   Ride those 2 guys and Jones till they drop!  Next year, another wide receiver whether drafted or free agent and a te (whether on team now or not) would be huge for the offense.  Rodgers has to be productive, smart and make his throws and check downs or there is no chance to advance.  Defense and running game can only do some much in the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I like Lazard a lot … what he's done from the start of the season to where he's now is remarkable.  I do think Rodgers does trust Adams and Lazard.  Whether he's a #2 or a #3 receiver is open for debate but upside is real.  Regardless, that's what they have this year.   Ride those 2 guys and Jones till they drop!  Next year, another wide receiver whether drafted or free agent and a te (whether on team now or not) would be huge for the offense.  Rodgers has to be productive, smart and make his throws and check downs or there is no chance to advance.  Defense and running game can only do some much in the playoffs. 

Agree with all of this.  I’ll also add that this is what we have THIS season, so it doesn’t really matter what you call Lazard right now; receiver 1B, 2A, 3 but ascending.  Who really cares what he’s being labeled as - he has a job to do right now - an important one, and an opportunity - with help from Rodgers - to make a bigger impression going into the off-season.  I’m more interested to see what’ll happen in the off-season (with acquisitions) and how Lazard responds in his sophomore year.

• Like 1

I was reading a PFF article about "All Rookie Team".

Here's what they said about Elgton Jenkins...who won the nod at OG.

OG ELGTON JENKINS, GREEN BAY PACKERS

Jenkins stepped into the middle of the Packers’ line this season and gradually worked his way to become one of the top-10 graded left guards in the NFL in his first season. Aaron Rodgers is consistently among the quarterbacks with the longest average time to throws, and that makes life difficult on his blockers at times. Despite that, Jenkins did not allow a single sack in 571 pass-blocking snaps. He fit right in on one of the top pass-blocking lines in the NFL, earning the highest grade of any rookie guard in the league this season.

Not to be outdone, Darnell Savage was on the squad as well.  Here is what PFF had to say about him.

S DARNELL SAVAGE, GREEN BAY PACKERS

The Packers have been looking for a playmaker at safety for several years now. It looks like they found one in Savage. He has five quarterback pressures, two interceptions, two dropped interceptions and two forced fumbles for Green Bay this season. Savage has been at his best in coverage, where his 74.2 grade ranks 29th among 94 qualifying safeties in 2019. He’ll be an integral part of the Packers’ secondary limiting big plays and making some big plays of their own this postseason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I was reading a PFF article about "All Rookie Team".

Here's what they said about Elgton Jenkins...who won the nod at OG.

OG ELGTON JENKINS, GREEN BAY PACKERS

Jenkins stepped into the middle of the Packers’ line this season and gradually worked his way to become one of the top-10 graded left guards in the NFL in his first season. Aaron Rodgers is consistently among the quarterbacks with the longest average time to throws, and that makes life difficult on his blockers at times. Despite that, Jenkins did not allow a single sack in 571 pass-blocking snaps. He fit right in on one of the top pass-blocking lines in the NFL, earning the highest grade of any rookie guard in the league this season.

Not to be outdone, Darnell Savage was on the squad as well.  Here is what PFF had to say about him.

S DARNELL SAVAGE, GREEN BAY PACKERS

The Packers have been looking for a playmaker at safety for several years now. It looks like they found one in Savage. He has five quarterback pressures, two interceptions, two dropped interceptions and two forced fumbles for Green Bay this season. Savage has been at his best in coverage, where his 74.2 grade ranks 29th among 94 qualifying safeties in 2019. He’ll be an integral part of the Packers’ secondary limiting big plays and making some big plays of their own this postseason.

Yeah, Savage was outdone by Elgton.