Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

For those who don't think LeRoy Butler, Godfather of the Lambeau Leap, isn't worthy of the HOF please see below.  I omitted the no brainer HOF safeties like Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed and Kenny Houston; I tried to include relatively recent inductees instead of comparing guys from the 1950-60-70s.  I also included two other safeties up for consideration this year.

Leroy Butler  1990-2001

12 seasons  181 games  38 INTs  10 FRs  20.5 Sacks  4 Time First Team All Pro  14 Playoff games

John Lynch  1993-2007

15 seasons 224 games 26 INTs 9 FRs 13 Sacks 2 Time First Team All Pro 12 Playoff games

Steve Atwater  1989-1999

11 seasons  167 games  24 INTs 8 FRs  5 sacks 2 Time First Team All Pro  14 Playoff games

HOF Safeties:

Brian Dawkins  1996-2011

16 seasons  224 games  37 INTs 19 FRs  26 sacks  4 Time First Team All Pro  18 Playoff games

Kenny Easley  1981-1987

7 seasons  89 games  32 INTs  11 FRs  8 sacks  3 Times First Team All Pro  6 Playoff games

• Like 3

LeRoy Butler.  What a great player and even better person.  He was on my uncle's Honor Flight in the fall.  Signed a bunch of stuff and really bonded with those vets.

As far as a player goes...I seem to recall Ron Wolf taking the GB job, walking into that locker at the end of the year and declaring that no one's job was safe.  Turnover was huge in that first year.  But Butler remained.  And grew.  And thrived.  From a corner to a safety.  Guy was a gamechanging safety.

I remember a Giant game when he roamed about 2/3 of centerfield and picked off a pass on the right goalline.  I don't know many guys who could cover that distance, then jump and take that interception.

Then he grew into a very good blitzer.

I'd put him in the Hall of Fame.  But...I am a "Homer" for him.  Great player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ben Fennell -  Allen Lazard - 2019 Production

3rd Down:  13 Catches (2nd) - 12 1st Downs (2nd)

4th Quarter: 11 Catches - 10 1st Downs (T-1st)

Slot: 16 Catches (3rd)

Reliability:  35 catches 51 targets, 3 Drops 68.6% Catch Rate (1st)

Play Extension: Receptions +2.5 secs - 18 Catches (3rd)

Ranking is where that lands on the Packers, not the entire NFL.

Also Fennell: 

One guy's opinion but even he, despite praising Lazard's success this year, thinks he's a 4-5 guy at best. Hell, I think we could even get away with Lazard as our No. 3 next year, but the talk of him being a No. 2 needs to stop. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Also Fennell: 

One guy's opinion but even he, despite praising Lazard's success this year, thinks he's a 4-5 guy at best. Hell, I think we could even get away with Lazard as our No. 3 next year, but the talk of him being a No. 2 needs to stop. 

I think wanting Lazard as WR 3 or 4 is a fair take.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Also Fennell: 

Label me skeptical that any rookie comes into the team and earns enough trust to be a #2.

Lazard has that trust already.  It'll take a rookie some time to gain it.  And I'm not taking practices or games, it probably takes a year and a half or more.

Maybe, just maybe that isn't the case if the right FA wide receiver is brought in.  And...I don't know who that is....

57 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Label me skeptical that any rookie comes into the team and earns enough trust to be a #2.

Lazard has that trust already.  It'll take a rookie some time to gain it.  And I'm not taking practices or games, it probably takes a year and a half or more.

Maybe, just maybe that isn't the case if the right FA wide receiver is brought in.  And...I don't know who that is....

I don't think a rookie can be the #2 either but who knows?  Whether it's a trade or free agency, an established wr would probably be preferable.   However, drafting a wr in round 2-3-4 still wouldn't be a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

name recognition vote. Z Smith was probably the most deserving player on the team this season, followed by A Jones. Not sure if anyone else was really all that close TBH.

He probably should have got the nod over Cam Jordan, but all the guys selected ahead of him turned in really good years.  Z missed by 3 votes.  Aaron Jones maybe should have got 2nd team "flex' or something.  It was dumb .. McCaffrey got RB & Flex on first team, and Henry got RB & Flex on 2nd team.

35 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I don't think a rookie can be the #2 either but who knows?  Whether it's a trade or free agency, an established wr would probably be preferable.   However, drafting a wr in round 2-3-4 still wouldn't be a bad idea. 

Maybe they find a Greg Jennings who can step into that #2 role right away.  Probably they can't.

But...I agree.  I think that room needs a veteran WR as well as a higher drafted rookie.