Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

38 minutes ago, Beast said:

I didn't miss the point, I just ignored the point because I realize you're assuming I don't know about accounting... 

The basics of NFL cap system really is a fairly simply accounting system if you have the cap limit amont... the accounting for the cap is problem among the easer parts of Ball's job, projection the among of future cap space there will be (as you base everything off of that, how to split the cap up and negotiating with agents, would be the harder parts. But fans rarely discuss those parts...

Uh.  You don't know the half of it when it comes to the salary cap.  Just like the rest of us.  You are just a rabid fan.  Like most of us.

Just sit back, relax and let the professionals handle it.

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Uh.  You don't know the half of it when it comes to the salary cap.  Just like the rest of us.  You are just a rabid fan.  Like most of us.

Just sit back, relax and let the professionals handle it.

I literally am sitting back and relaxing at the moment, I'm not actually trying to do it... I'm just talking about it like any Packers fans talks about the Packers.

People are suggesting all kinda of possible trades, or people we bring in and I don't see you telling them to relax.

Simple put, Packers can resign most of the guys they want to bring back, but probably not all, they'll have to make a decision.

For starters, Aaron Jones, Kevin King or Linsley... 

Packfanfb, I can't agree with you more! As draft day approached, I was thinking Shenault was just what Gutey wanted: big body, rugged style, capable of playing in the slot, delivering strong blocks as well as making difficult catches in traffic. I'm still skeptical about the move to take Jordan Love. I could see bringing in an understudy, but I thought the first and fourth round picks were just too costly at the time. Even a first round o-line or d-line guy would really help out right now. Oh well....time will tell. Gonna watch Shenault's career!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beast said:

How long can the Packers have open spots on the 53 man roster before people freak out?

Cus I'll probably be upset if they haven't filled at least one by gameday... as Lane Taylor has been known out since week 1... and they're not going to add a guy? Why?

I think they might be holding one to bring ILB Martin back, and that being about elevate PS to the gameday roster takes out the need to keep rotating guys on and off the roster... but if you got an two open spots, someone could at least be practicing and learning the system...

If Lovett has been activated two weeks straight, wouldn't he likely be due for one of them?  One for him, one for Martin, maybe?  

What was the Martin schedule... possibly as soon as post-bye?  Or longer than that?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, craig said:

If Lovett has been activated two weeks straight, wouldn't he likely be due for one of them?  One for him, one for Martin, maybe?  

What was the Martin schedule... possibly as soon as post-bye?  Or longer than that?  

Here's a Demovsky excerpt from 9/2, the day after Kamal had surgery:

"Green Bay Packers rookie linebacker Kamal Martin a possible starter, had surgery for a torn meniscus on Tuesday and will not be available for at least six weeks, a source told ESPN."

At least six weeks” would put him around mid-October for his return. My unqualified opinion is that he may be ready by late October/early November, if all goes well with his recovery and rehab.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I know everyone is sour on the whole "draft a WR in the 1st round" after 2 weeks of seeing our offense, but I'll just say Shenault would have been fun to see with LaFleur and 12.

But does Aaron Rodgers play this well if it wasn't for Jordan Love?

7 hours ago, Gypsy1027 said:

Packfanfb, I can't agree with you more! As draft day approached, I was thinking Shenault was just what Gutey wanted: big body, rugged style, capable of playing in the slot, delivering strong blocks as well as making difficult catches in traffic. I'm still skeptical about the move to take Jordan Love. I could see bringing in an understudy, but I thought the first and fourth round picks were just too costly at the time. Even a first round o-line or d-line guy would really help out right now. Oh well....time will tell. Gonna watch Shenault's career!

What is your succession plan after Rodgers then, given that the Packers virtually never get to draft high ? Any QB taken in the draft has a less than 50/50 chance of succeeding (and that is in round one, the odds drop sharply after that). An ostrich-style planning for the future is unlikely to end well. Look at the Bears endless search for a long-term QB.

Bears: Harbaugh, Walsh, Kramer, Krieg, Matthews, McNown, Miller, Stewart, Krenzel, Orton, Grossman, Cutler, Barkley, Trubisky (plus many other recognisable names backing up).
Packers: Favre, Rodgers (plus mostly unknown backups, barring current Eagles head coach, Pederson).

I understand not knowing if Love will turn out well, the odds of drafting a success there tell you that is rational. But, if Love works out as a long term starter, the cost of late 1st and 4th round picks is trivial.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, craig said:

Yes Lovett and Martin are my pure guesses.

Martin reportedly had a 6 week injury, which was two weeks before the season, so he in theory should be ready to at least limited practice by week 4 or 5 (one or two weeks from now)

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

What is your succession plan after Rodgers then, given that the Packers virtually never get to draft high ? Any QB taken in the draft has a less than 50/50 chance of succeeding (and that is in round one, the odds drop sharply after that). An ostrich-style planning for the future is unlikely to end well. Look at the Bears endless search for a long-term QB.

Bears: Harbaugh, Walsh, Kramer, Krieg, Matthews, McNown, Miller, Stewart, Krenzel, Orton, Grossman, Cutler, Barkley, Trubisky (plus many other recognisable names backing up).
Packers: Favre, Rodgers (plus mostly unknown backups, barring current Eagles head coach, Pederson).

I understand not knowing if Love will turn out well, the odds of drafting a success there tell you that is rational. But, if Love works out as a long term starter, the cost of late 1st and 4th round picks is trivial.  

This isn't fair though. 

Favre - If Favre stayed with the Falcons, nobody ever knows his name unless he ends up on a, "Worst quarterbacks of all-time list."  He had 4 attempts, 0 completions, 2 interceptions in Atlanta.  He goes to Green Bay, he sits for the whole first game, then he comes in in garbage time when the Packers are getting destroyed, then he comes off the bench because the starter is hurt and a legend is born.

Rodgers - Sat for four years with all the talent in the world and only time to learn.

Love - Is sitting for at least a full year. 

I'm of the opinion that every single QB drafted in the first round with about 10% leeway to acknowledge the Manziel types and the types that just don't have it are capable of having it.

With Trubisky, the Bears got impatient.  Probably Fox got impatient, knowing his job was on the line.  Threw him out there too early.  Same with Alex Smith, David Carr, Blaine Gabbert...

Obviously there are quarterbacks who are ready immediately and the game is not too big for them.  Other quarterbacks need time, and the Packers know that. 

If you put a QB who isn't ready to play in with a bad offensive line, bad receivers and no experience, you are going to ruin that quarterback.  These are all (for the most part) extremely intelligent people who have been playing the sport their whole lives.  The difference in game study and ability to pick up offenses is negligible with time really being the only thing that separates them.  You've got a journeyman like Ryan Fitzpatrick, then you've got the bro type Baker Mayfield and everything in between.  Fitzpatrick might take a moment to learn a playbook while Mayfield takes a lot longer, but all that is is time. 

So if you put a QB who isn't quite ready yet out there without enough experience, without enough help and you've got 300 pound men coming straight at him trying to rip his ****ing head off, that's when bad, incurable habits start and that's when you've effectively ruined your QB.

I feel like this is common knowledge throughout the NFL, but some teams just don't buy into it or get too impatient.  The Chiefs knew what Mahomes could be, but they still waited a full year aside from a garbage time game before letting him start. 

This is why the Lions, Bears and Vikings have sucked at finding quarterbacks.  They're not patient.  The Packers are.  Rodgers sat.  Love is going to sit.  Love will have a floor of Matt Ryan. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Blaine Gabbert never would have succeeded at the NFL level.  

Source:  I watched all of his college games.

Maybe.  At the same time, you give him time to learn, time to acclimate to the NFL and you put him in after a year, two years of learning and you’ve got Ryan Fitzpatrick, Alex Smith, game manager Nick Foles type instead of hard bust.

I think in the taking a QB discussion people are missing a few key development as over the years. Young QBs are “hitting” at a higher rate than they use to (at least it feels like it). Why?

The nfl has 1. Moved to be an offensive league 2. Teams are bringing in more college concepts to the offenses, so the nfl game isn’t that much of a jump and 3. We honestly have way smarter coaches now.

Like the QBs that fail almost have nothing to do with the QB themselves now... it’s more of the system and team they get drafted into. The issue with the jets.... is the jets, not darnold.

The reason that Mitch is having a bad go is he was drafted before they got their offensive HC... and their HC hates him. It’s a forced marriage.

Baker... well like Darnold was drafted by a franchise that is just pure chaos.

Jordan Love will honestly be successful. Because everything is setup for him to be. The argument with him will be is he a Dak/ Matt Ryan type or is he a Mahomes/Rodgers type. Or as Bucky brooks puts it... is he a tractor or a trailer.

Im pretty confident Love will be a solid starter in the league and find winning game success.

Edited by Green19