Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 hours ago, coachbuns said:

With cap dollars probably being tight next year, I'd wouldn't be surprised if Funchess is let go.  Draft a wr in the 4-5th round and roll?

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

He's still very cheap, and I'm not sure when we'd save the cap money by cutting him. Either way wouldn't surprise me. Don't save much cutting him to keep a rookie though.

It depends on the development of ESB and the draft.  We really don't know what the Funchess status will be next year.  For those dollars, though, I have a hard time not seeing him make it to camp.

We only get about 1 million back if we cut Funchess.  Lazard is an ERFA, so he will be cheap.  

We don't have any WRs signed for 2022, so I would imagine that drafting one would be a smart option.  That said, any draftee would have to be pretty good to break into Adams, Lazard, MVS, Funchess, EQ. And I am sure that extending some of the current WRs is in the plans as well.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

It had to happen.

Even if we hadn't signed Austin, the production was not there and the liability of a turnover was not worth it.  I guess he's a great student, knows the playbook inside and out.  Sounds like a good PS guy to help everyone out and maybe even assistant coach if things go that route, but I just don't think he's built to play on Sundays.

Edited by Refugee

What do you think is the best role Tavon Austin can fit into in the offense this year?

Dusty  -   He's Swervin' Ervin, basically. Jet motion and return stuff. Which doesn't sound like much, but a lot of times you've got the jet motion guy settling into the flat after he's done. So you're burning that man on the play or using him as a checkdown in space.

This week for example, you had EQ, Lazard and MVS running jet motion. MVS is more a downfield burner than quick-twitch, so getting him in space in the flat isn't the best use of him AND that means you're not using him downfield, which is where he's best.

EQ can play that role well, but I think he can also be better suited past the LOS. Lazard is a good player, but speed/quickness isn't really his game. Austin can be the piece to help make sure everyone stays in the role that works best for them.

It's a relatively small role, but it's important in this offense.

On 11/30/2020 at 10:34 PM, Leader said:

Matt Schneidman -   With Corey Linsley's injury, rookie sixth-rounder Jon Runyan Jr. is likely to get his first career start Sunday against the Eagles, the team for which his dad played nine seasons and made a Pro Bowl.

I feel ancient when I see young players today that are the offspring of players I watched in my younger days.

• Like 1

Rob Demovsky -   Aaron Rodgers needs 3 more touchdown passes to become the 7th player in NFL history with 400.

He will be the fastest QB to reach 400. He’s played in 192 career games.
Drew Brees was the previous fastest to 400, doing it in his 205th game.
Peyton Manning was next, doing it in his 209th game.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Rob Demovsky -   Aaron Rodgers needs 3 more touchdown passes to become the 7th player in NFL history with 400.

He will be the fastest QB to reach 400. He’s played in 192 career games.
Drew Brees was the previous fastest to 400, doing it in his 205th game.
Peyton Manning was next, doing it in his 209th game.

And I know we have our green and gold goggles on, but he was held back more than Drew or Payton.  In some of his career games, after dropping 4-6 tds, he would get benched early or at least switch to the MM conservative endgame offense.

We’ll see how LaFleur treats a 2-3 score lead in the 4th but so far, he seems more aggressive. I don’t mind seeing 12 in bubble wrap once the game is in hand but as a competitor, I know he wants to be out there cashing in. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 9:34 PM, Leader said:

Matt Schneidman -   With Corey Linsley's injury, rookie sixth-rounder Jon Runyan Jr. is likely to get his first career start Sunday against the Eagles, the team for which his dad played nine seasons and made a Pro Bowl.

The solution is simple. Clone 3 more Elgton Jenkins.

• Like 2