Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

25 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

What are your opinions on kettle bells, medicine balls, and dumbbell sets?

My goal here is to take advantage of working from home better by being able to do real exercises during meetings where I don't have to participate. So far, I've gotten some bands, an exercise ball, a bosu ball, just basic stuff like that for stretching and core work, but really can't do much beyond that without something heavy.

I'm not looking to replace a gym membership entirely today, but am willing to spend the money to buy it once and be done. I am more likely than not looking to go all in on a home gym at some point over the next decade or so, I just want to own property first before getting racks (and anything I buy today would need to survive at least one move, probably 2).

So far, I'm leaning towards Rogue for a 5-50 lb dumbbell set, 6-12 pounds for med balls, and 13-35 pound kettle bells, plus storage but I'm open to any ideas.

Depends on what you like to do for workouts. I’d say DBs and KBs can cover plenty of exercises without buying anything major right now. Maybe a bike or rower if you enjoy cardio. 

13 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Depends on what you like to do for workouts. I’d say DBs and KBs can cover plenty of exercises without buying anything major right now. Maybe a bike or rower if you enjoy cardio. 

I'd be looking for the capacity to do most everything at home except high weight compound lifts, so ideally I'm going to the gym just to squat, deadlift, and bench. I don't need a ton of high weight either, I bench 185 and squat 225 at 175-185 body weight.

Definitely think the kettle bells are the highest priority, most of what I've been adding is more aggressive stuff for ab, back, hamstring, and hip work. Lots of planks, bridges, woodchopping, obliques, supermans, bird dogs, that kind of stuff, so being able to do some windmills, get ups, swings, plus being able to integrate some row work into planking all would be good.

Med balls would be for even more core work. Side to sides, tosses, stuff like that.

Dumbbells would be so I could do most of my other upper body work at home. Flies, overhead press, skull crushers, at least some bench for range of motion, stuff like that.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'd be looking for the capacity to do most everything at home except high weight compound lifts, so ideally I'm going to the gym just to squat, deadlift, and bench. I don't need a ton of high weight either, I bench 185 and squat 225 at 175-185 body weight.

Definitely think the kettle bells are the highest priority, most of what I've been adding is more aggressive stuff for ab, back, hamstring, and hip work. Lots of planks, bridges, woodchopping, obliques, supermans, bird dogs, that kind of stuff, so being able to do some windmills, get ups, swings, plus being able to integrate some row work into planking all would be good.

Med balls would be for even more core work. Side to sides, tosses, stuff like that.

Dumbbells would be so I could do most of my other upper body work at home. Flies, overhead press, skull crushers, at least some bench for range of motion, stuff like that.

Go on Rogue and buy Strongman equipment!! Sled, farmers handles, etc. 

22:09 in the 5k, 1 hour 45 for the half-marathon, 7:56/mile pace per my watch which are both PRs and I set my one-mile PR (6:42).  I’m not listening to Corrigan’s timing on my half (8:02/mile) when all of their last four race distances have been off, and they got my BIB mismatched with someone else for the 5k at this event.  

Through 8 miles I held strong at 7:40/mile pace but because I went harder than expected at the 5k.  I just gassed out but still kept 8:00-8:23 per mile to finish the rest of the way.  Top 11% finish overall, top 20% for age group.  I think I was top 10 for the NutJob challenge, which combines the 5k and half times.  

• Like 5

I'm awful at describing pain and injuries so bear with me on this, but has anyone here ever felt a 'looseness' in their knee after squatting? For the past 2 or so years, I'll get a dull sensation in either knee (best I can describe it as is 'loose') super infrequently, but always after a squat day. My knee feels like it lacks stability and if you were to press it on right under the kneecap or to the inside of the kneecap, it does hurt a little bit. It's been going on for years now, but it is the worst it has been after squatting on Saturday, and I didn't even go heavy. It always just goes away on its own after a few days, so I expect I'll feel perfectly fine tomorrow. It is really strange though and I'm hoping it isn't some sort or precursor to a serious knee injury. I feel like if my ACL was gonna tear or something, it would just tear, right? I don't recall athletes that tear their ACLs reporting feeling unstable before actually tearing it.

On 5/7/2023 at 12:48 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The Bowflex dumbbells are awesome, and are especially great if you plan on moving. I just looked and they are a lot cheaper than they used to be too. The one downside is that any movement that requires holding the head of the dumbbell can be a little annoying since the plates that are used to adjust the weight aren't the most comfortable things to hold on to.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The Bowflex dumbbells are awesome, and are especially great if you plan on moving. I just looked and they are a lot cheaper than they used to be too. The one downside is that any movement that requires holding the head of the dumbbell can be a little annoying since the plates that are used to adjust the weight aren't the most comfortable things to hold on to.

I think the adjustable dumbbells would be perfect for me, my concern is that I'd be buying them again in a few years. How long have you had them?

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@minutemancl @ramssuperbowl99 I have the adjustable bowflex dumbbells as well and they are fantastic. 5 lb to 55.5 lb each in 5 lb increments. (Maybe 57.5 lb I forget). I can do all legs, back, shoulders, arms, and upper chest just not regular or incline chest variations 

The price difference between that and a whole set (plus the storage) would let me go absolutely bananas on kettle bells and med balls. Good stuff, thank you both @minutemancl

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The price difference between that and a whole set (plus the storage) would let me go absolutely bananas on kettle bells and med balls. Good stuff, thank you both @minutemancl

The only downside is you can’t superset lower weight but it’s a small issue IMO

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think the adjustable dumbbells would be perfect for me, my concern is that I'd be buying them again in a few years. How long have you had them?

I personally know of 2 sets of those dumbbells that are still kicking, no problems at all, 10+ years later and after multiple moves.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I've had one set 1-20lb for 20 years and another 52.5 for around 10, and they're still in great shape.  I always store them in their stand (as in they've never really spent much extended time sitting freely on the ground) and I don't ever drop them.  I could see dropping them how some people do from bench height or higher potentially causing problems over time, but mine have held up fantastic across multiple moves and time spent in storage.     

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

They have an adjustable Kettlebell, too.  I have never used one, but I'd assume they're pretty solid, based off of the dumbbells.  

I'd never seen the adjustable kettlebell before. It looks really cool, but it only goes up to 40 pounds. Can't get all that much out of that unfortunately.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

They have an adjustable Kettlebell, too.  I have never used one, but I'd assume they're pretty solid, based off of the dumbbells.  

@ramssuperbowl99 we have one. It was my wife's Christmas gift. She absolutely loves it. It goes from 8 to 40 pounds. 

They also have this:

https://www.bowflex.com/selecttech/2080-barbell/100874.html?adID=DOFG2BFEED1

Adjustable 20-80 pounds with an optional 120 lb upgrade.

https://www.bowflex.com/selecttech/

https://www.bowflex.com/selecttech/

The 1090 dumbbells go up to 90 pounds too.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1