Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

I'd never seen the adjustable kettlebell before. It looks really cool, but it only goes up to 40 pounds. Can't get all that much out of that unfortunately.

Not to sound elitist, but it's perfect for my wife. For me...eh, take the 55 lb dumbbell and use it as a kettlebell with a "fist grip".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Not to sound elitist, but it's perfect for my wife. For me...eh, take the 55 lb dumbbell and use it as a kettlebell with a "fist grip".

Also perfect for me, I don't need massive weight to get the core work and stronger flexibility that I'm looking for. Basically prehab on back injuries.

At $150 for the adjustable KB, yeah that's tough to pass up. The full set of regular KB up to 50 is gonna run double that, pretty similar ratio with the dumbbells, and I wouldn't even have to clean these.

I'm not sure I'd get the bar bell at this point, I think that'd be the tipping point where I may as well get a rack and go all in. Not quite ready for that yet, but it's probably gonna happen eventually.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Also perfect for me, I don't need massive weight to get the core work and stronger flexibility that I'm looking for. Basically prehab on back injuries.

At $150 for the adjustable KB, yeah that's tough to pass up. The full set of regular KB up to 50 is gonna run double that, pretty similar ratio with the dumbbells, and I wouldn't even have to clean these.

I'm not sure I'd get the bar bell at this point, I think that'd be the tipping point where I may as well get a rack and go all in. Not quite ready for that yet, but it's probably gonna happen eventually.

I have the dumbbells that go up to 55 lbs, love them. 

I have the adjustable kettlebell. My wife loves it. Personally, I'm at the age where I don't "need to" go much past those weights given the cost/benefit to the technique fatigue isn't worth it for me personally.

I do not have the barbells/bars because I go to the gym for those major movements. (Bench variations, etc.)

I do not have the ~90 lb dumbbells because I go to the gym for those movements, whether those are incline bench or shrugs.

Due to my rotator cuff repair, I limit my overhead movements/weight as well and just go for "toning", so the ~55 is perfect and I superset it with my 15-25 lb dumbbells that I still have.

Because I'm cheap, I use the ground for the rack and bought a ~$30 dumbbell rack for the 5-25s that I already have...and if I "needed" the rack for the Bowflex dumbbells, I'd use or build a desk or table instead of spending $120, but zero judgment for those that do, it's pretty nice.

• Like 1

Anyone have any tips for relieving/preventing shoulder (rotator cuff area) pain?

Cant do overhead presses, reverse flys or even dumbell pullovers anymore the pain is so bad in both shoulders.

Been lifting hard (5 times a week typically) for about 3-3.5 years now and in the last ~5 months it’s started. I’ve been benching straight on the ground so that it eases the pressure on my shoulders but idk what to do with all the other exercises that are heavily influenced/completely scrapped because of it.

Edited by Ray Reed

48 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Anyone have any tips for relieving/preventing shoulder (rotator cuff area) pain?

Cant do overhead presses, reverse flys or even dumbell pullovers anymore the pain is so bad in both shoulders.

Been lifting hard (5 times a week typically) for about 3-3.5 years now and in the last ~5 months it’s started. I’ve been benching straight on the ground so that it eases the pressure on my shoulders but idk what to do with all the other exercises that are heavily influenced/completely scrapped because of it.

5 months?  Prolly not what you’re wanting to hear but honestly I’d start looking for an ortho to get evaluated.

Rotator cuff tears are common.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Damn.

I've had a torn RC and had it repaired. It's quite the process, but I'm glad I had it done and in a lot better shape because of it. There's a change you could have some lingering impingement pain, but that's typically more in the front shoulder/chest region as opposed to the rotator area.

It being in both rotator areas is a concern...maybe it's tendinitis though. You can do some band work and rehab that if it's the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I've had a torn RC and had it repaired. It's quite the process, but I'm glad I had it done and in a lot better shape because of it. There's a change you could have some lingering impingement pain, but that's typically more in the front shoulder/chest region as opposed to the rotator area.

It being in both rotator areas is a concern...maybe it's tendinitis though. You can do some band work and rehab that if it's the case.

Definitely going to go and have it looked out now, just in case. Thank you

• Like 1

Just now, Ray Reed said:

Definitely going to go and have it looked out now, just in case. Thank you

As @LETSGOBROWNIES said, I'd recommend an ortho, but personally I'd try to make sure you see a sports medicine person. 

Chances are, they'll give an initial diagnosis, recommend some rehab exercises, then make you wait a few weeks at a time until things escalate (if needed) to an MRI. If the rehab works, great! If not and if you have any questions from there, I'd be happy to share my experience...hopefully it's just a nasty impingement or some tendinitis with some major rest needed.

For what it's worth, lifting 5 days a week really takes a toll in the body. I can only do about 3-4 days and have to do alternative exercises like biking, walking, or other cardio.

Hang in there!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

As @LETSGOBROWNIES said, I'd recommend an ortho, but personally I'd try to make sure you see a sports medicine person. 

Chances are, they'll give an initial diagnosis, recommend some rehab exercises, then make you wait a few weeks at a time until things escalate (if needed) to an MRI. If the rehab works, great! If not and if you have any questions from there, I'd be happy to share my experience...hopefully it's just a nasty impingement or some tendinitis with some major rest needed.

For what it's worth, lifting 5 days a week really takes a toll in the body. I can only do about 3-4 days and have to do alternative exercises like biking, walking, or other cardio.

Hang in there!

Awesome. Thanks so much man all very helpful info...hopefully you're right and it's not something that necessitates surgery...I'll keep you in the loop!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Awesome. Thanks so much man all very helpful info...hopefully you're right and it's not something that necessitates surgery...I'll keep you in the loop!

https://pro-pt.net/treatments/shoulder-problems/physical-therapy-for-shoulder-tendonitis/

These should give you a nice starting point...it will make you feel a bit emasculated, but I used to do these in the mornings and after a hot shower/bath when the muscles are nice and relaxed. 

If you can do them easily with no weights, add some bands. If you can do those no problem, add light dumbbells. Do them in a mirror to check your technique.

• Like 1

Completed both the 10k Savage Race and 5k Savage Blitz yesterday in the open heats.  I did the 10k first, and finished 54th overall (not that it matters.). It was about 30 obstacles, and I attempted all but two of them.  I completed maybe 30-40% of them successfully.  My buddy ran pro, and completed all but one, which sucks because you lose the pro time.  He completed it when we did the Savage Blitz afterwards.  I completed maybe 60% with some of his help, including the Colossus which is the tower you have to climb up and a giant water slide.  

Definitely would consider doing it again, and am looking forward to the Spartans I signed up for.  Definitely need to work on upper body strength though, the pull-up bar is going to be my friend 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

PR'd my back squat @ 380#. Only a 5 pound PR, but it's better than nothing. I'm more mad that I failed 385 than I am happy that I hit 380 to be honest. I tried out my new knee wraps today and either I am not wrapping them correctly/tight enough, or they are not great knee wraps (I have a feeling it is both), but they were an actual detriment. I ended up PR'ing with just the belt. Tried a few reps with just the wraps, no belt, at 225 and they did not feel great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

PR'd my back squat @ 380#. Only a 5 pound PR, but it's better than nothing. I'm more mad that I failed 385 than I am happy that I hit 380 to be honest. I tried out my new knee wraps today and either I am not wrapping them correctly/tight enough, or they are not great knee wraps (I have a feeling it is both), but they were an actual detriment. I ended up PR'ing with just the belt. Tried a few reps with just the wraps, no belt, at 225 and they did not feel great.

I’ve personally never been a fan of knee wraps myself.