Leveraging the Giants (or anyone else)

Aztec Hammer

How do you feel about this? Are you simply all in on Darnold at 1 and don't get cute? Or do you think we can get something done and still get Darnold?

If the Giants lock in on Rosen, which is conceivable because he is similar to Eli. We could convince them that we are considering trading out of 1 to a team like the Jets/Broncos etc and that they better give us some seconds and thirds if they want to be sure of him. Bit like the 49ers did with Trubisky. Then we just take Darnold at 2.

I could see us at least attempting this, which is why I am going to try not to rise to any misdirection that might be forthcoming; like a sudden interest in Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield, to convince the Giants we are real about trading out of the pick.

What do you think?

I was discussing this topic the other day.  I'm just not sure how we can know that Giants don't want Darnold, and don't want to risk that they take him and we're considering a pick that (according to speculation) neither side want to see happens.

7 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

How do you feel about this? Are you simply all in on Darnold at 1 and don't get cute? Or do you think we can get something done and still get Darnold?

If the Giants lock in on Rosen, which is conceivable because he is similar to Eli. We could convince them that we are considering trading out of 1 to a team like the Jets/Broncos etc and that they better give us some seconds and thirds if they want to be sure of him. Bit like the 49ers did with Trubisky. Then we just take Darnold at 2.

I could see us at least attempting this, which is why I am going to try not to rise to any misdirection that might be forthcoming; like a sudden interest in Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield, to convince the Giants we are real about trading out of the pick.

What do you think?

My vote is not to get cute for the sake of my blood pressure and 10 minutes of uncertainty over who we will draft. We have 0 excuse to get anyone other than Rosen or Darnold.

That said, if we were 100% SURE (NOT ONE PERCENT LESS) that they were getting the OTHER QB and we could fleece them, then I'm ALL IN.

It’s risky.  You have to be CERTAIN they don’t covet the same guy you do or you just got played like a fiddle.

I was down for it until Darnold declared, but he’s my number one QB and someone I consider a near elite prospect (not Andrew Luck or Manning level, but really damned good) so I wouldn’t get cute with it.

There is absolutely NO WAY the Browns can know 100% that the Giants love Rosen and not Darnold.  I don't care how many back channels or insiders each team has on each other, it's still impossible to know definitively.  Stick with #1 overall, pick Darnold, and call it a day.

Peace!!!

I have Mayfield over both, so I would be fine moving down to #2 if I'm sure they want Rosen/Darnold. I think all three guys are possible stud/franchise QBs and that it will totally depend on their landing place. So I'm more concerned getting the one who is more mentally prepared to be here and giving whoever that is the most possible support. So if that means moving down one spot to get another second to add a weapon, I wouldn't mind.

I don't think we can scare the Giants into anything. Unless they don't like Rosen at all there is no reason for them to panic. If the Browns trade away #1 they will just take Darnold, no problem. Now if they really want Darnold they may make a trade but we aren't going to trick them into thinking they have to move up for Rosen.

2 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

What do you think?

Being that I'm pretty much 50/50 split on Rosen & Darnold, my dream scenario is convincing the Giants we want who they want and getting them to slide up. I don't think they'll buy for a second that we intend to trade that pick to someone like the Jets or Broncos, because they know we need one of the top QBs as well, and that we finally have a GM smart enough to realize that.

3 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I have Mayfield over both, so I would be fine moving down to #2 if I'm sure they want Rosen/Darnold. I think all three guys are possible stud/franchise QBs and that it will totally depend on their landing place. So I'm more concerned getting the one who is more mentally prepared to be here and giving whoever that is the most possible support. So if that means moving down one spot to get another second to add a weapon, I wouldn't mind.

this

There was an article on Cleveland.com making the case for taking your QB at #1. It our pick we own it. We can take whichever QB we want. Let everyone else worry about their situation. Anyway, take the QB at #1, and then let someone desperate after the Giants take a QB at #2, come to us at #4 and we deal that pick. Now the team that was mentioned was the Jets at #6. So we deal with them to move back to #6, get some additional picks, and since QBs are three of the first four picks, you’d still have your choice of one of the three remaining studs. So, you could come away with, say, Darnold, Fitzpatrick, and the picks acquired from the Jets. 

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/sam_darnold_josh_rosen_and_qb.html

2 hours ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

I think you just take the guy you want at 1, the rest of the draft can be cute.  They can start working on the contract tomorrow if they want just make up their mind and pick who will be the best for the organization.  Darnold :D, Rosen xD, Mayfield o.O, or Allen >:(.

I don’t want cute. That’s been some of our problems in the past. Getting cute. I want Dorsey to go into that draft and kill it. How about something like this, along with your QB. Now THIS is how you draft!  I’d take this in a heartbeat. 

How good was the Saints 2017 draft? Look at their top 4 picks.

Marshon Lattimore: Pro Bowler
Ryan Ramczyk: played every offensive snap
Marcus Williams: started 15 games
Alvin Kamara: Pro Bowler, 14 touchdowns

5 hours ago, cortes02 said:

There is absolutely NO WAY the Browns can know 100% that the Giants love Rosen and not Darnold.  I don't care how many back channels or insiders each team has on each other, it's still impossible to know definitively.  Stick with #1 overall, pick Darnold, and call it a day.

Agree unless there is a way that an enforceable deal can be struck with the NYG. 

We can get cute with #s 4 and/or 33.

Archived