Most safe bet sure thing player in this draft?

Vladimir L

27 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

This is terrifying.  I didn't follow the draft that year and had no idea people were so high on Warmack.  It's almost as if they're talking about Nelson in those threads.

Time to revisit the tape..

I remember it very vividly, a lot of people were high on him and Cooper.

Bradley Chubb hands down. The #1 asset he brings is consistency. He's not going to blow your dress up with a plethora of moves. He's insane with the angles and leverage he uses. He's equally strong against the run as he is against the pass. He's rarely out of position. He's a great character guy with a contagious attitude. Leads by example on and off the field. Teammates love him. 

He had success against one of the top OTs in this draft. 4 sacks and 6 TFL in 2 games against Notre Dames McGlinchey. 2 sacks in each game. Great battles.

If there's one thing he needs to do more of is arm extension. Even though he played with great leverage, he didn't use his arm length as much as he should. He willed his angles with strength and leverage. If he masters extension, rip and swim....he will be dangerous.

I can only pray that the Browns take him to play opposite the athletic freak Garrett. Power on 1 side, Speed and athleticism on the other. 

On 1/8/2018 at 11:35 PM, BleedTheClock said:

I like him, but I don’t think hes an ILB. He’s going to play WILL where he can scrape and run free. He isn’t very good against blockers, but is awesome in space and coverage.

He is pretty safe, though. At the very least, you’re getting an elite cover linebacker. Also he’s a great leader and a tough kid. 

That depends where he lands at if he will play MLb or not.  In the Falcons scheme Debo is our MLb and does a pretty damn good job of it but he would also fit wlb better but WLB and MLB in our scheme aren't all that different actually.   I would say Smith would be the more sure tackler of the 2 and debo would be the better coverage guy of the 2.  So i would put smith at MLB and Jones at WLB if smith were to somehow ever fall to the Falcons which is probably a 0% chance at this point.

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I honestly can’t think of a prospect the board was more all in on than Warmack. These revisionist posts about him are hilarious.

I loved him. I remember thinking I was disappointed we took Decastro when Warmack was available the next year. Yikes, I was wrong. I thought he was a certified blue chipper.

14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I loved him. I remember thinking I was disappointed we took Decastro when Warmack was available the next year. Yikes, I was wrong. I thought he was a certified blue chipper.

and I have been wrong about plenty of prospects myself but this wasn't one of them. I didn't think Warmack was going to bomb by any means but I was thrilled we snagged decastro and thought he was a far superior prospect to warmack.

On 1/12/2018 at 2:49 PM, bullslugg said:

Roland McClain says hello!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

All of the takes that the Raiders finally figured out the draft and made the right/safe choice are hilarious in retrospect. Anyways as to this thread, I'd go Chubb (pending his combine). I feel like this happens a lot where DL who play with poise and technique get undervalued (Watt, Donald, Barnett recently, though the former 2 killed the combine). I wouldn't be surprised if Chubb had the surprising Watt/Donald type combine.

On 2018-01-04 at 5:16 PM, Vladimir L said:

Havent kept up much with college football.

Is it Saquon?

RB's need a decent or better OL and a passing game thats enough to keep D from having 8 in the box. If he goes to the colts, then no.  

Nelson is my pick. Now if he can fall in the draft for us like DeCastro didO.o

On 2018-01-09 at 8:43 AM, VanS said:

Cam Sutton = Eric Allen (90s CB for the Eagles, Saints, and Raiders)

Similar body types.  Similar skill sets.  Similar work ethic.  If you read up on Eric Allen, you'll learn that he was a student of the game.  He watched lots of film and knew what his opponent were always going to do.  His natural ability was good but it was this level of preparation that made him special.  Cam Sutton is the exact same way.  He's got good natural ability but what will make him special is his work ethic.  The guy watches film incessantly.  There was a story that came out after the draft where the Steelers coaches had an interview with him and he brought up a play he made in a game so they pulled up the film of that game.  As he was breaking down the play, he not only knew his responsibility on the particular play but also the responsibilities of all of his teammates on defense.   The coaches thought that he memorized this for just that one play so they tried to stump him by randomly pulling up another play from that same game and asked him what the call was on this particular play and what the responsibilities of his teammates were.  He broke down that play as well.   It was this impressive interview that led the Steelers to draft him.

Cam Sutton is not the most physically gifted corner.  But he's incredibly intelligent, a tireless worker, and has great instincts.  These attributes will make him a really good player in the NFL for a long time.  And FTR, I was also high on James Conner (he was my #2 RB after Alvin Kamara) and JuJu Smith-Schuster (my #2 WR after Corey Davis).  IMO the Steelers hit it out of the park with the 2017 Draft.  I even liked some of the late round picks like Keion Adams. 

I hope you are right about Sutton. Someone on our forum said that once Sutton was activated, Burns started to play better ;) Maybe in 2018 Sutton will get more time. Problem with our regime is they try to make RD1 picks work and don't let others replace them until their contract is up. So Sutton at best will be CB3 since Haden and Burns are the starters.  Burns could be antwan blake and still start no matter what.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

I hope you are right about Sutton. Someone on our forum said that once Sutton was activated, Burns started to play better ;) Maybe in 2018 Sutton will get more time. Problem with our regime is they try to make RD1 picks work and don't let others replace them until their contract is up. So Sutton at best will be CB3 since Haden and Burns are the starters.  Burns could be antwan blake and still start no matter what.

I'm also wary of the Steelers style where they give preference to seniority or whoever is drafted higher.  But great players make the most of their opportunity when given a chance.  This is football.  There are always gonna be injuries.   And I believe Cam Sutton will be a great player.  So the next time he gets in for Artie Burns, I think he'll take the job from him.

5 hours ago, VanS said:

I'm also wary of the Steelers style where they give preference to seniority or whoever is drafted higher.  But great players make the most of their opportunity when given a chance.  This is football.  There are always gonna be injuries.   And I believe Cam Sutton will be a great player.  So the next time he gets in for Artie Burns, I think he'll take the job from him.

His assessment isnt really correct though.    Its not entirely off base, but often, we dont have anyone notably better to replace failed first rounders.    

I mean, what are some instances of the Steelers starting a first rounder or preferred veteran over a CLEARLY better younger player?

Im not even necessarily defending the Steelers.   The FO makes alot of stupid moves, and sometimes they stick with players longer than they should.   For instance, in regards to Antwan Blake....it wasnt that they started him over anyone CLEARLY better....the problem was he sucked and they didnt try to address it simply by benching him and giving another player a shot....again, not because there was a clearly better option, but because Blake was garbage.

In Sutton's case, he didnt come back until a bit later in the year, and while he showed some flashes, its not like he blew anyone away.    He just played better than Sensabaugh, which isnt really saying much since Sensabaugh was trash.

I will admit that Burns will be the incumbent starter and that he DOES in fact have a leg up by the mere fact that he is a first round guy....but if Sutton or anyone else comes in and clearly outshines Burns, I promise you that player would get a chance.   They may share time with Burns early on (since they obviously arent going to complete give up on Burns after 2 years,), but if another CB was consistently better, they would play over Burns in the long run.

Archived