NFL Official Jeff Triplett Retires

gopherwrestler

Analyzing every play on instant replay and expecting 100% accuracy is tough.  They needed some rule changes to allow for reversing calls on the turnovers.  But the game is slowing down because of the replay and driving fans crazy.

35 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Analyzing every play on instant replay and expecting 100% accuracy is tough.  They needed some rule changes to allow for reversing calls on the turnovers.  But the game is slowing down because of the replay and driving fans crazy.

Definitely don’t need to slow the game down anymore that’s for sure. I get it’s tough catching every call and being 100 percent accurate but to miss blatant calls or no calls is tough for fans also. Much rather them take the time to make the right call instead of throwing flags at ghost calls or when I player throws there hands in the air

I know these officials catch flak because of their missed calls or incorrect calls, but some of this has to go back on the NFL.  The amount of rules there are now you would almost have to sit and study a play for 10-15 minutes to make sure everything was called correctly. 

I tend to like the ones that will let them play the most, outside of blatant holding/PI just let them play. 

Are they only blatant in slow motion or on replay? 

I think it is a tough job.  I also think that the NFL front office tells the refs how to call games.  Allow the hand fighting for the Dbs and receivers.  That one in particular varies per game.  Want more offense?  Call any touch to the WRs.  Want a more defensive battle?  All but mugging is allowed.

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

everything that goes to replay review should just be decided by some off-site office. they can probably handle it more quickly than the ref and just relay the call to the field.

although that would lead to conspiracy theories (deep state/goodell, etc) every time somebody's team loses a challenge, it would probably speed the game up

I hate it when I see Titans fans claim the officiating was just as bad for both teams. Kc should have won regardless of the officiating but that Mariota's non fumble hurt the Chiefs big time.

I've seen some Titans claim Kelce fumbled the ball but I have just looked at the replay and he did recover it while lying on the ground and I am not even sure if that tackle by Cyprien was legal. I think a fine is not out of question.

Sure the Titans were given at one time a really bad spot but it got corrected after the review.

There were more bad calls but really that Mariota's fumble was just incomprehensible and made a difference in the game IMO.

I do think that over the course of a season every team gets bad calls and in the end it is pretty much equal for every team, same for injuries over the course of a few seasons. But in a playoff game where  it often comes up to details, a disastrous call can make a difference and it is a shame.

On 1/7/2018 at 2:38 PM, The LBC said:

g4LzkYP.gif

In all seriousn'ess though, I expect @jrry32 in here shortly with a "Bye Felicia" meme.  People can talk about how refereeing isn't easy, and it isn't, but there were times you genuinely got the feeling with Triplette that he was making up his own rules.

He really was. I've lost track of the things he said where he actually had to correct himself because he was just making things up and then someone said "uh, no you can't do that" in his ear. 

And the calls and that "forward progress" on a sack in the Chiefs game were kinda shady in a Vegas point coverage way. And then the very next day he retires? Smells fishy.

36 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

What's hilarious is on the Mariota fumble a DB held the **** out of Decker too that went uncalled.

Beyond that, the idea that it had this gigantic impact on the game is beyond me. It almost certainly only represented a 3-point swing. And frankly, even that might not have been the case. It was a terrible call, but the Titans then kicked a FG, gave the Chiefs the ball back, and they marched down the field and scored a touchdown. Say they rule it a fumble and a touchdown on the field, it's 21-0 Chiefs. The real halftime score ended up being 21-3. You're then giving the Titans the ball back with just under two minutes left in the first half and all three timeouts right after they had just marched into field goal range with relative ease and you're putting the Titans offense in the no-huddle, which KC had virtually no answer for (see: second half).

And before we get into the, "it was a 3-point swing in a game decided by one point argument," we can safely assume that the Titans would have kicked extra points instead of going for two twice, so maybe it makes it a tie game that goes to OT? I'll take my chances immediately after a half where the Titans were moving the ball at will and the Chiefs were struggling to get a single first down. But wait, the Titans ended the game taking knees in field goal range, so they probably would have won 24-21 instead of 22-21 I guess?

It was a horrendous call, just absolutely brutal. Triplett and the crew were horrible all game long, and everyone should be happy he "retired." But man has the overall impact of that one clearly blown call been overplayed.

Sidenote: The idea that Kelce regained possession after losing the ball is almost equally silly. A player isn't possessing a football if a player from the opposing team can just reach down and pick it up with no resistance or hesitation.

Archived