Bears Hiring Matt Nagy

The Gnat

Bears talent is consistently underrated because of the poor record these past few years. Fox's game day coaching left a lot to be desired but we were rarely blown out and beat some contenders on the way. I think they are closer than many believe and a decent draft / FA haul this offseason, along with new coaching and continued development of our young starters will result in a big improvement IMO.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Seems a little early for Matt to get a job. Pederson and McVay's success has probably pushed this forward a year or two. 

It may be, but much better to hire a great coach a year early than miss because you were a year late.

13 minutes ago, The LBC said:

So you're saying he should legally change his name to Nicolas Cage?

Cage Nicholas maybe. 

Either that or Johnny Cage Wins. Could be low key on the Wins part. Johnny Cage Wynns. 

Edited by PapaShogun

First of all, will people stop with this McVay-Goff comparison BS, please? I feel like this is the new "compare the Patriots to every team in the league" argument. Not only do we not know how they will both perform next year but we also can't say for sure if it was McVay, particularly, that "changed Goff" to begin with. This whole notion with the media and fans has gotten WAAAYY out of hand. It's been 1 year. ONE! 

It's no secret that Fisher is a terrible coach and anyone that has watched the game extensively over the course of a decade or more knows this. So looking good after him is not much of an accomplishment at all in it's own right.

Note that this isn't me saying one way or the other or even knocking McVay or Goff. I've been a huge fan of Goff since his HS days and even went as far to congratulate the Rams fans(even on here) when he was drafted him and I NEVER do that. I just knew his potential. I'm just saying that I'm tired of hearing about a claim that has yet to even be proven and even if it does turn out to be the case....you can't expect every situation to work out the same way.

--------------------------------------------

Anyhow............ 

Good signing on paper but I'll believe it when I see it.

This is a typical cheap McCaskey/Bears FO contract type of hire. An available coach with little to no resume to bring to the table during the contract agreements and in turn, get away with having to pay an HC more than the league average. I just hope this one turns out better than the previous ones did.

(note to certain fans of teams that win every single year and still have the audacity to wanna blow everything up when your team don't take home a trophy. The type of attitude and expectations(or lack of) that you see above is what it's like when you go DECADES on the other side of the spectrum with nothing to show for it. Just remember that the next time you criticize your own team for not having 10 super bowls in 15 years.

-End rant)

Overall I like the hire, personally. I like player coaches more-so than a coaches-coach, and I have said for YEARS that they need a younger coach that the players can relate and vise-versa. Now, whether or not he has the balls to be true leader remains to be seen but it's worth a shot. And quite frankly, It can't get much worse.

But all this talk about how he will develop Trubisky into greatness needs to be pulled back a bit from fans. Remember when getting rid of dumb dumb (JA) was supposed to turn things around? Remember when that other inexperienced CFL idiot was supposed to make Cutler NOT look like a bad trade? I do....so I'll withhold my judgment.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

First of all, will people stop with this McVay-Goff comparison BS, please? I feel like this is the new "compare the Patriots to every team in the league" argument. Not only do we not know how they will both perform next year but we also can't say for sure if it was McVay, particularly, that "changed Goff" to begin with. This whole notion with the media and fans has gotten WAAAYY out of hand. It's been 1 year. ONE! 

It's no secret that Fisher is a terrible coach and anyone that has watched the game extensively over the course of a decade or more knows this. So looking good after him is not much of an accomplishment at all in it's own right.

Note that this isn't me saying one way or the other or even knocking McVay or Goff. I've been a huge fan of Goff since his HS days and even went as far to congratulate the Rams fans(even on here) when he was drafted him and I NEVER do that. I just knew his potential. I'm just saying that I'm tired of hearing about a claim that has yet to even be proven and even if it does turn out to be the case....you can't expect every situation to work out the same way.

--------------------------------------------

Anyhow............ 

Good signing on paper but I'll believe it when I see it.

This is a typical cheap McCaskey/Bears FO contract type of hire. An available coach with little to no resume to bring to the table during the contract agreements and in turn, get away with having to pay an HC more than the league average. I just hope this one turns out better than the previous ones did.

(note to certain fans of teams that win every single year and still have the audacity to wanna blow everything up when your team don't take home a trophy. The type of attitude and expectations(or lack of) that you see above is what it's like when you go DECADES on the other side of the spectrum with nothing to show for it. Just remember that the next time you criticize your own team for not having 10 super bowls in 15 years.

-End rant)

Overall I like the hire, personally. I like player coaches more-so than a coaches-coach, and I have said for YEARS that they need a younger coach that the players can relate and vise-versa. Now, whether or not he has the balls to be true leader remains to be seen but it's worth a shot. And quite frankly, It can't get much worse.

But all this talk about how he will develop Trubisky into greatness needs to be pulled back a bit from fans. Remember when getting rid of dumb dumb (JA) was supposed to turn things around? Remember when that other inexperienced CFL idiot was supposed to make Cutler NOT look like a bad trade? I do....so I'll withhold my judgment.

Theres absolutely nothing typical about this hire.  Its clearly a Pace hire and he never left KC to make sure he got Nagy.  People need to get away from the Bears are cheap arguement, nothing could be further from the truth at this point.  When they hired Fox he was 2 years removed from a superbowl appearance and had won 13 games.  He was considered the #1 coaching hire and was paid as such.  We dont know what Nagys contract details are the Bears have been paying competitve salaries throughout the building for years now.  If you have been paying attention, Nagy was one of 2 guys that was going to b the hottest candidate on the market.  Nagy wasnt just happy to take any job so hes willing to take less.  People really need to stop talking about these Bears as if they are Halas' Bears they are not.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Fair point to think. . . Could be a Chip Kelly and Nick Foles scenario.  The league is going to break them down this offseason and it will be on McVay and Goff to adjust back.  If they do they could be very good, if not see Chip/Foles comparison. 

• Like 1

This is an interesting move for 'da Bears.  When I think of the Bears, I always think of great defenses.  The had one of the most memorable defensive teams of all time back in '85, and they also had a very good run under Lovie Smith, who brought them to a Super Bowl on the strength of a great defense.  Having more of an emphasis on offense will be a change in the Windy City, however, it does make sense seeing as how they have a promising young quarterback who could benefit from solid coaching on that side of the ball.  It should be fun to watch as things develop for the Bears over the next couple of years.  It sounds like a good signing.  As a Vikings fan, I just hope it wasn't too good.  ;)

20 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

This is an interesting move for 'da Bears.  When I think of the Bears, I always think of great defenses.  The had one of the most memorable defensive teams of all time back in '85, and they also had a very good run under Lovie Smith, who brought them to a Super Bowl on the strength of a great defense.  Having more of an emphasis on offense will be a change in the Windy City, however, it does make sense seeing as how they have a promising young quarterback who could benefit from solid coaching on that side of the ball.  It should be fun to watch as things develop for the Bears over the next couple of years.  It sounds like a good signing.  As a Vikings fan, I just hope it wasn't too good.  ;)

Don't forget, Ditka was an offensive minded coach, not a defensive one!

5 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Theres absolutely nothing typical about this hire.  Its clearly a Pace hire and he never left KC to make sure he got Nagy.  People need to get away from the Bears are cheap arguement, nothing could be further from the truth at this point.  When they hired Fox he was 2 years removed from a superbowl appearance and had won 13 games.  He was considered the #1 coaching hire and was paid as such.  We dont know what Nagys contract details are the Bears have been paying competitve salaries throughout the building for years now.  If you have been paying attention, Nagy was one of 2 guys that was going to b the hottest candidate on the market.  Nagy wasnt just happy to take any job so hes willing to take less. 

Fox's SB appearance and 13 win season had nothing to do with his contract, so suggesting that they paid him "as such" is not correct. His 4.25m salary + compensation was 20th among head coaches which was well below the league average (4.8). 

5 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

People really need to stop talking about these Bears as if they are Halas' Bears they are not.  

I never said they were. There's a big difference here. Halas' were cheap with players. The new regime is cheap when it comes to filling the HC position and above.