2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

Stand corrected. We drafted Guy as a DL and Elmore at OLB in that draft but stuck with Eric Walden and all 3 of his sacks in 2011. 

We had a need, but we had no reason to know we had a need.  Better?  Not many teams plan on having two franchise pass rushers, and there was no reason to think Matthews wouldn't continue to be a franchise pass rusher.  Walden/Zombo helped us win a Super Bowl. 

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

My point is we don’t have enough fighters on this team. We seem soft, especially up front. 

I agree with this for sure.  Definitely.  But we don't need a poor personality person to get less soft.  Peppers wasn't and isn't soft, and he's the classiest act in the NFL.  Reggie White wasn't soft, I think he was pretty good.  Von Miller isn't soft, and he doesn't have many character red flags.  Aldon Smith isn't soft... He had red flags.  See my point? 

Total curveball here.   So we look like we're going to be picking top ten.  This draft has Four first round QBs and 4-6 QBs who have nice skill sets to be developed.  Soooo.... After 25 years of stellar QB play do we even look at extending that streak with an investment in a first round pick?  I know there are more pressing needs now, but over the long run, is it an opportunity to grab a supremely talented QB to learn for three years under ARod and keep the Packers competitive for another dozen years?  There will be CBs and Edge players in second and third rounds avaiable. 

IF we went this way I would like Lamar Jackson- Louisville.

30 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Total curveball here.   So we look like we're going to be picking top ten.  This draft has Four first round QBs and 4-6 QBs who have nice skill sets to be developed.  Soooo.... After 25 years of stellar QB play do we even look at extending that streak with an investment in a first round pick?  I know there are more pressing needs now, but over the long run, is it an opportunity to grab a supremely talented QB to learn for three years under ARod and keep the Packers competitive for another dozen years?  There will be CBs and Edge players in second and third rounds avaiable. 

I would be extremely upset if we did that. We have possibly the most talented QB of all time, sure fire first ballot hall of famer, and arguably a once in a century talent at the most important position in football. I think you have to do everything within your power to surround him the next 3 years with talent on offense and defense.

Once he retires I'm ok with this team sucking for 3 to 4 years while they rebuild.

39 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I would say no .. the timing isn't right .. the prospect would want to leave before he ever got his chance to play.  Rodgers is going to sign a new deal soon .. have to figure he will play at least 5 more seasons.  When Rodgers is down to his final year or two is when you make that move for a successor.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I would say no .. the timing isn't right .. the prospect would want to leave before he ever got his chance to play.  Rodgers is going to sign a new deal soon .. have to figure he will play at least 5 more seasons.  When Rodgers is down to his final year or two is when you make that move for a successor.

I get that. The other side of the coin.....his style of play isn't conducive to staying healthy.  He is not the classic pocket passer like Brady or Manning.  His style will lead to more injuries, because that's what bails out MMs offense.  The big scramble plays.  I know he plans on playing more years, but another collarbone or some such injury could derail that immediately.  I don't think we 'planned' on taking Arod when we did and I don't think you can run opportunity on a schedule.  Just forwarding the idea that when opportunity knocks you have to consider opening the door.

18 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I would be extremely upset if we did that. We have possibly the most talented QB of all time, sure fire first ballot hall of famer, and arguably a once in a century talent at the most important position in football. I think you have to do everything within your power to surround him the next 3 years with talent on offense and defense.

Once he retires I'm ok with this team sucking for 3 to 4 years while they rebuild.

If you watched the Lion's game you know that if/when Arod is done we will suck for more than 3-4 years.  We can take a QB AND still surround ARod with all the other picks.  We really haven't seen our draft picks develop very much recently so it is not a given that we would be helping surround him with talent anyway. 

As to taking a QB here, no.  You take a QB three years before your QB plans on retiring, and Aaron has recently stated that he's recommitted himself to football and plans on playing 7 years after this one.  If Brady is capable of playing at his current level, we don't know the limits of Aaron Rodgers.  With the NFL continuing to crap on defenses and with the NFL desperately needing superstars, it's not unheard of for Rodgers to play until he's 45.  It was unheard of for a QB to play as well as Brady's playing at 40.  It was unheard of for Favre to play the way he played at 38 (or 39 I can't remember). 

I keep seeing people say Rodgers has 4 more years, 5 more years and I kinda just wonder why that's the predominant assumption right now.  Aaron sat for three years.  That's three less years of punishment, and he's 7 years younger than Brady, who had those three years of hits.  I don't think anybody should be saying we have any less than 7 years with Rodgers because unless there's a massive injury (knock on wood), we've got him for seven more years.  Unless we trade him of course.

Plus, you want to get value if you take a QB when you have a QB.  If Aaron is 35 and a top 1 QB talent drops to 25-32, THEN you take a QB.  But you don't take a QB when your all time great QB desperately needs an influx of talent on a team that sucks without him. 

I threw 5 out there because I thought that might be the length of his next deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays until he's 40 plus.  Favre put up arguably the best year of his career at 40, and he was far more beat up than Aaron is.  Brady is still killing it at 40 as well.  We'll just have to see if Aaron really wants to go that long.  Given that Rodgers is 33 .. soon to be 34 .. I don't think we have to worry about taking a QB high in the draft for several years.

It's hard for me to discuss the draft because I hope and pray we scrap our defense and start over next year, which could involve going to a 4-3. But at the moment we need guys that can make plays and tackles. OMG I can't watch our LB play any more. Why can't we simply draft and address that position? And why don't we play more LB's on the field? And I agree with grabbing another WR in the 2nd or so round, we could use another young infusion at that position, assuming Cobb is gone. I think/fear Jordy's better days are behind him too. I hope I'm wrong there. 

15 hours ago, Pizza In A Cup said:

Are there any WRs like (or close to) Gregg Jennings? Someone that can run really smooth, crisp routes and has potential to take it to the house when getting the ball in his hands. I feel like the Packers miss him more than they care to admit. 

Dante Pettis

20 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We had a need, but we had no reason to know we had a need.  Better?  Not many teams plan on having two franchise pass rushers, and there was no reason to think Matthews wouldn't continue to be a franchise pass rusher.  Walden/Zombo helped us win a Super Bowl. 

I said I stood corrected. I was only ripping on Walden. Anyone who felt Walden or Zombo was a long term answer is crazy and I guess that would include TT. 

20 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I agree with this for sure.  Definitely.  But we don't need a poor personality person to get less soft.  Peppers wasn't and isn't soft, and he's the classiest act in the NFL.  Reggie White wasn't soft, I think he was pretty good.  Von Miller isn't soft, and he doesn't have many character red flags.  Aldon Smith isn't soft... He had red flags.  See my point? 

Totally. My point remains that we will pass on a potential stud because he isn’t squeaky clean far too often imo. 

20 hours ago, Pizza In A Cup said:

Are there any WRs like (or close to) Gregg Jennings? Someone that can run really smooth, crisp routes and has potential to take it to the house when getting the ball in his hands. I feel like the Packers miss him more than they care to admit. 

Dante Pettis out of Washington, maybe?

Archived