2018 Free Agency

turtle28

Just now, mar29020 said:

it was his second year bud. 

Yea and for some reason you and many acting like he's elite . He also had an awful rookie year 

look at Breeland 2 good years and 2 crappy years . Just cause fuller had a good year doesn't mean he's champ baily or Norman.

2 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Yea and for some reason you and many acting like he's elite . He also had an awful rookie year 

look at Breeland 2 good years and 2 crappy years . Just cause fuller had a good year doesn't mean he's champ baily or Norman.

For some reason some of you are acting like Alex Smith is elite.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

We also lost a 3rd round pick, which could have potentially been another starter.  We lost our starting #2 CB in Breeland.  Fuller, Murphy, and Long were all key backups.

Sure possibly the #3 pick develops into a starter. You’ve told me for a year that Moreau was Breeland’s replacement when we drafted him. So, that’s that and I’ll give you props because you called it and I think you’re right. 

I get who we lost and that Long and Murphy are key back ups or Long can be a serviceable starter. Still, not huge losses.

I also did mention that Fuller and Cousins were the two big losses.

Are you going to stand of the table for the others as huge losses because that was my point? They’re not huge losses.

I especially find it hilarious that anyone in this forum - or 99% of Redskins nation - other than me would be worried about losing Grant and I’m not even worried about it because we signed Richardson, re-signed Quick and have Harris, Davis and the draft still to go.

Got to give some love to McKinnon and Hyde. Honorable mentions to Murray and Gore. Also let's not forget Crowell. Thanks for the effort in getting signed to push Ronald Jones to us in the 2nd round. If he's on the board and we pass I'm probably busting the ol tv with a remote. I want him badly on this team

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The Redskins had a competitive roster last year - especially when healthy. They’ve upgraded WR already. There’s certainly more work to do in FA and the draft but I think you’re overreacting a bit because we haven’t been big spenders in free agency, instead were once again choosing to mostly build through the draft which this forum clamored for every single year except the years that Allen seems to have all the control over the FA & draft. 

Seems like a double standard to me. I totally understand not believing in Bruce Allen, because I don’t like him or believe in him either but to flip flop on you’re principals of wanting to mostly build through the draft because you don’t like the GM - even though for the most part he’s following your vision for building a team - just doesn’t add up to me.

Building through the draft doesn't work when you let all of the players you drafted walk away. It also doesn't work when you trade your third round pick and your drafted and developed DB. We aren't building through the draft. We're just doing a bunch of meh. 

And no, he's far from following my plan for team building. My plan would never involve keeping a lame duck coach and trading for a 34-year old QB. You build through the draft and supplement with free agents. You don't completely abandon free agency because you suck at it. 

43 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

For some reason some of you are acting like Alex Smith is elite.  

Who? I know I’m not. I don’t think anyone acted like Cousins was elite either. I think Smith and Cousins have different skill sets and different strengths which make both of them good but not great Qbs. Our offense will probably look different in some ways with Smith starting instead of Cousins but I don’t expect much of a drop off in our offensive production from last year to this year.

28 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Building through the draft doesn't work when you let all of the players you drafted walk away. It also doesn't work when you trade your third round pick and your drafted and developed DB. We aren't building through the draft. We're just doing a bunch of meh. 

And no, he's far from following my plan for team building. My plan would never involve keeping a lame duck coach and trading for a 34-year old QB. You build through the draft and supplement with free agents. You don't completely abandon free agency because you suck at it. 

You can’t possibly make the first statement when we’ve re-signed Kerrigan, TWill, Reed, Thompson, Moses, Dunny and will probably be re-signing Scherff next offseason and maybe Preston Smith.

I just explained this to Mar and Mknight losing 5 players we drafted of 53 and having most of their replacements already on the roster doesn’t mean we aren’t building through the draft.

I mean, I know for a fact you’re not a fan of Grant or Murphy so, throwing them in as someone we lost - just to inflate the numbers - is disingenuous on your part.

The big losses were Cousins, Fuller and the 3rd round draft pick.

Building through the draft means we’ll sign Cousins future long term replacement at some point in this year’s draft of next, we drafted Moreau to replace Breeland and we drafted Anderson to replace Murphy.  Holsey could be Fuller’s replacement either this year or in the future, 2/3 of our starting DL are drafted players, our top 3 OLBs are drafted players, half of our starting DBs will be drafted players this year and most of our the top back ups on our defense will be drafted players too just like last year.

Also, we’ll draft a starter or 2 in the draft and hopefully in rounds 4-7 draft depth players again to develop and hopefully become good back ups or if we are lucky, starters in time.

Currently, our entire starting offense and most of their back ups are drafted players except for Alex Smith and Paul Richardson.

As for your last point, you missed my point or chose to ignore. It’s really whatever at this point, I don’t get why some of you complain sometimes about certain things when we have been mostly been building through the draft for this entire decade. 

I get complaining about Allen, if we drafted someone you didn’t agree with or the Alex Smith trade but we are actually drafting players and developing them. We just aren’t overpaying to keep some of our drafted players when they become free agents because we have their replacemennts on the roster that we’ve already drafted or signed. 

Oh, and of course you yourself never wanted Colt to be our starter and killed me for suggesting it months ago so you flip flopped there too. 

Its just a big ole head scratcher to me.

Not really excited for the remaining RB vets in FA like I am for adding a rookie RB. With what is on the roster, I'd be happy to see a day 2 rookie added to CT and Perine. 

I'm still on board for a vet FA LG, if the asking price is rather cheap and lacking much guaranteed money. Alex Boone, please. Unless he's gotten fat and sluggish, this is a guy that could potentially play outside at LT/RT, if necessity demands it. 

Still on board with bringing in a rather cheap FA WR that fits... someone like Maclin. If he won't take a 2-3 mil per yr deal, forget it. Let him compete to see if he can push for snaps. If not a vet, no problem. Draft a day 2 or 3 rookie with deep speed.. just in case Richardson falls to injury. Need to keep a legit speedster outside to open up the others. 

Would LOVE to add the Honey Badger for NCB/added S/hybrid ILB packages. Pay him well, but have some injury clauses built in. 

Then the strong concern of ILB ( and yes, add a rush LB later in the draft to push Anderson )

Bring back Zach Brown if it's feasible. If he wants more than 8-9 mil per? Tell him to kick rocks, and look at a MUCH cheaper offer to Bowman or Hodges. Still possible to complement that with or just go straight to a rd 1 ILB rookie.

The last strong concern of NT. What's up with Dontari Poe or Bennie Logan? Either would upgrade the DL and run defense... and at this point, shouldn't be crazy expensive. 4-5 mil per yr should get it done for one of them. I also like what Jay Bromley could bring for cheaper cost. 

Not too late. Looks like Washington's just being cautious.. instead of chucking wild money. Even if they add just ONE of these strong area concerns (say ILB).. they can then just draft a rd 1 NT, rd 2 RB, rd 4 LG, and add DB help later. 

Still winning 9-10 games. :) 

53 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Would LOVE to add the Honey Badger for NCB/added S/hybrid ILB packages. Pay him well, but have some injury clauses built in. 

I would love to add Honey Badger too but haven’t seen anything anywhere that we’re taking a look at him. What scares me is they either think they have that guy in Cravens, or they were only going to pursue Mathieu if they were able to trade Cravens before FA started. 

1 minute ago, bigdog44 said:

I would love to add Honey Badger too but haven’t seen anything anywhere that we’re taking a look at him. What scares me is they either think they have that guy in Cravens, or they were only going to pursue Mathieu if they were able to trade Cravens before FA started. 

Yeah, we'll see. Might even be the best case scenario if they don't add the Badger. Maybe he never regains close to the level of play he had. Maybe Cravens is dedicated and evolves quickly into an equal version of Badger. Maybe I should not drink so early in the morning. 

:P 

Will be entertaining to see how it all shakes out. All I know is, it's the middle of March.. and not the time for premature reactions for celebration or tears. 

Archived