Will Nick Foles be a starter on a team during the 2018 season?

UtahUtesFan

Will Nick Foles be a starter next season?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nick Foles be a starter next season?

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Guys, Carson Wentz had surgery for his torn ACL in mid-December.  Just because AP came back and played 9 months later doesn't mean Carson Wentz is a lock to be ready to play Week 1 2018.   Given reports he had a meniscal (which should be fine and not prolong recovery) and IT band tear (that's the trickier one, depends on what exactly is involved), if he took 10-11 months to be ready, that wouldn't be shocking, either.

And the thing is, Foles' 2018 roster bonus and guarantee has to be decided on by early March.   When there is no way anyone will know what the ETA is for Wentz's return.    Plus, the Eagles paid Foles to be the backup for exactly this type of insurance in March 2017, well before any idea that Wentz would get hurt - so why would they deviate course when they have an actual need and not just an insurance policy?  

The other part - while players return from ACL injury, they usually don't regain full explosion and mobility from the ACL until 18 months later - so in this case, 2019.   Making sure contenders have a competent backup has never been more justified than this year - but even when Wentz returns, that need isn't going away.  A less mobile Wentz is a greater risk to get one hit and being knocked out of the game (concussion, etc. doesn't have to be the knee).  

Add it all up, IMO Foles will be an Eagle on Week 1, and more likely than not he'll be the starter...until Wentz is back.

I would be shocked if Wentz isn't completely healthy week 1. This isn't 10 years ago where ACL's were legitimately the worst injury you can get.

That said, I think we keep Foles unless another team just gives us way too much for him. We need a competent backup, and Foles has shown he can win in big games if needed.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I would be shocked if Wentz isn't completely healthy week 1. This isn't 10 years ago where ACL's were legitimately the worst injury you can get.

That said, I think we keep Foles unless another team just gives us way too much for him. We need a competent backup, and Foles has shown he can win in big games if needed.

ACL recovery rates in QB’s were excellent 10 years ago.  RB/WR were riskier.  There should be no doubt that Wentz long term should be fine.  That’s not the Q though.    Banking on a week 1 return is incredibly iffy.   For every 9 month return you will see 10-11 months - and that’s in pro athletes.  

That aside the bigger issue is that Wentz’s ETA won’t be set in stone by the early March deadline to guarantee the rest of Foles’ salary and roster bonus.   Even if Wentz hits the best case scenario they won’t know by March.  Or even by the time teams would want a QB even a backup (barring Teddy B / Bradford 2016 scenario V2 with a late preseason injury and no other options around).  If a late PS injury hits that’s the one scenario but let’s face it that’s happened 1x in the past 20+ years. 

Add it all up Foles in Philly to start 2018 isn’t just a guess it seems pretty much a lock.  

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Add it all up Foles in Philly to start 2018 isn’t just a guess it seems pretty much a lock.  

That is going to be dictated by the Market. If Howie is offered the right deal, he's proven to pull the trigger more times then not.

Not that Nate Sudfeld is the 2nd coming of a HOF, but the Eagles intentionally kept 3 QB for a reason. Made sure he stayed a Eagle. Asking him to hold it down for a month "If Needed", isn't that far fetched IMO.

Once again "IF" the compensation is to good to pass on.

10 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

That is going to be dictated by the Market. If Howie is offered the right deal, he's proven to pull the trigger more times then not.

Not that Nate Sudfeld is the 2nd coming of a HOF, but the Eagles intentionally kept 3 QB for a reason. Made sure he stayed a Eagle. Asking him to hold it down for a month "If Needed", isn't that far fetched IMO.

Once again "IF" the compensation is to good to pass on.

That’s always a fair take on the market.   The likelihood of a too-good-to-pass up offer seems awful low - this is one year where many options exist - even if they have flaws it’s way more than in prior years.   Hard to see a huge market develop barring a late preseason injury and all other options off the board.  

1 hour ago, Starless said:

If DeFilippo had gotten the Cardinals job, he'd have brought Foles with him. But now I think Foles starts the year in Philly and then maybe gets traded if some team loses its starter early in the season.

he could still go to arizona as an OC.

But yea I have a hard time picturing them moving nick before the draft not knowing what is up with Wentz....unless they get a great offer they cant pass up

We don't have any day 2 picks, so I'm sure Howie will listen

Foles appears to be under contract with Philly next season, however, I think it'd be wise to try to put him on the trading block, and see what you can get, as there will be about a half dozen teams interested...

As I've said before, I think Foles is a pretty good player, but just got a bum deal with the Rams a few years ago.  At the time, the Rams were a young team with a laughable receiving corps, and a bumbling coach, living off reputation..  At one point or another, Jeff Fisher had Sam Bradford, Nick Foles, Case Keenum, and Jared Goff at his disposal, managing to make all four look like replacements.  Those four have since gone on to have success without Fisher.  Without getting into the who or where, Foles could be a potential upgrade to about a dozen teams.

39 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Foles appears to be under contract with Philly next season, however, I think it'd be wise to try to put him on the trading block, and see what you can get, as there will be about a half dozen teams interested...

As I've said before, I think Foles is a pretty good player, but just got a bum deal with the Rams a few years ago.  At the time, the Rams were a young team with a laughable receiving corps, and a bumbling coach, living off reputation..  At one point or another, Jeff Fisher had Sam Bradford, Nick Foles, Case Keenum, and Jared Goff at his disposal, managing to make all four look like replacements.  Those four have since gone on to have success without Fisher.  Without getting into the who or where, Foles could be a potential upgrade to about a dozen teams.

Let's not forget that Foles just simply didnt look very good in 2014 with Philly.  I know he was 6-2 as a starter, but statistically he struggled and got outperformed by mark Sanchez. It was around this point in time that people realized that if he was under pressure in the pocket, he would back away from it rather than stand in and take hits to make the throws.  There's still questions about his sustainability over a whole season, and understandably so

That being said, I think Foles has put together enough good games that if he has a solid performance in the Super Bowl, someone will give him a shot to start again

The answer is both YES and Stays a Backup in Philly.

Wentz may not be ready to go until October. There is no reason  to rush him back.

You don't trade a Super Bowl QB for a 2nd round pick if you still need him.

He is also insurance for Wentz getting hurt again.

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

You don't trade a Super Bowl QB for a 2nd round pick if you still need him.

He is also insurance for Wentz getting hurt again.

You do when you for some reason have kept hanging onto Nate Sudfeld & if it's a 2nd round pick then I'm compelled to make the move to improve elsewhere when Wentz comes back.

17 minutes ago, UtahUtesFan said:

You do when you for some reason have kept hanging onto Nate Sudfeld & if it's a 2nd round pick then I'm compelled to make the move to improve elsewhere when Wentz comes back.

Sudfeld is making nothing and can be the #3 for 2018 with no problems at all.

If Arizona wants to give you a jackpot like a #1 and a #3 , then you think hard about pulling the trigger.

On 1/22/2018 at 1:09 PM, Broncofan said:

Guys, Carson Wentz had surgery for his torn ACL in mid-December.  Just because AP came back and played 9 months later doesn't mean Carson Wentz is a lock to be ready to play Week 1 2018.   Given reports he had a meniscal (which should be fine and not prolong recovery) and IT band tear (that's the trickier one, depends on what exactly is involved), if he took 10-11 months to be ready, that wouldn't be shocking, either.

And the thing is, Foles' 2018 roster bonus and guarantee has to be decided on by early March.   When there is no way anyone will know what the ETA is for Wentz's return.    Plus, the Eagles paid Foles to be the backup for exactly this type of insurance in March 2017, well before any idea that Wentz would get hurt - so why would they deviate course when they have an actual need and not just an insurance policy?  

The other part - while players return from ACL injury, they usually don't regain full explosion and mobility from the ACL until 18 months later - so in this case, 2019.   Making sure contenders have a competent backup has never been more justified than this year - but even when Wentz returns, that need isn't going away.  A less mobile Wentz is a greater risk to get one hit and being knocked out of the game (concussion, etc. doesn't have to be the knee).  

Add it all up, IMO Foles will be an Eagle on Week 1, and more likely than not he'll be the starter...until Wentz is back.

/thread.  This is the reality of it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived