Will Nick Foles be a starter on a team during the 2018 season?

UtahUtesFan

Will Nick Foles be a starter next season?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nick Foles be a starter next season?

1 hour ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

I'll trust the legitimacy of the results of a study from Northwestern University over the opinion of some guy on a football forum.

Are you by chance an anti-vaxxer? Just wondering, because they tend to spit the “cuz studies” thing too. 

Anyway, GSU’s question are legit. As most learn as early as community college, for a study to be considered credible, lots of factors need to be transparent and consistent. Taking numbers at face value without asking any further questions is pretty silly. Hell, your article even says, and I quote, “Quarterbacks’ careers are not shortened by ACL injuries...” 

I don’t even find the article entirely irrelevant, but your whole “science says so” shtick is pretty lacking. 

2 minutes ago, Starless said:

I didn't realize what Foles' cap number for 2018 was. $7.6 million is way too high for a backup.

lmao yeah... I didn't like the signing when we made it cause we just paid a bunch of $ to Chase Daniel to be a back-up before and I'm not a fan of paying back-ups a lot.

200.gif

13 minutes ago, Danger said:

James Andrews doesn't take into account the high level of rehab/care NFL players get. 9-12 months would be for Joe Schmo.

Wes Welker Tore his ACL in Week 17 or in the post season and was ready to go week 1 of the following season, and that was like 8 years ago.

Carson Wentz is already up and walking around on his own power, no crutches, no cane.

? Andrew was talking about football players. It needs to be emphasized, again, that Wentz didn't just have an ACL tear...he had more done to his knee as well.

Just now, ILoveTheVikings said:

? Andrew was talking about football players. It needs to be emphasized, again, that Wentz didn't just have an ACL tear...he had more done to his knee as well.

I will put real world money that Wentz is starting week 1. How much do you want to bet, I'll give you 5 to 1 odds.

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Are you by chance an anti-vaxxer? Just wondering, because they tend to spit the “cuz studies” thing too. 

Anyway, GSU’s question are legit. As most learn as early as community college, for a study to be considered credible, lots of factors need to be transparent and consistent. Taking numbers at face value without asking any further questions is pretty silly. Hell, your article even says, and I quote, “Quarterbacks’ careers are not shortened by ACL injuries...” 

I don’t even find the article entirely irrelevant, but your whole “science says so” shtick is pretty lacking. 

No I'm not because tons and tons of studies have been done to disprove it.

So far no one has been able to refute this study. Please show me another study or anything that contradicts what the conclusion of this study came to.

I've never once said "because science says so and that's all that matters". I've looked for relevant studies on the subject and offered them up as evidence here. NOT ONE person has been able to post a similar study (or any study for that matter) with different results. That is all I'm asking and people keep dodging it and using their own opinions to try and discredit the study. 

He guided his team to the promised land, it'd be disgraceful for the Eagles to move on from him and give Wentz the starting job again.

As for Wentz, man that's gotta be a rough situation. Sure, you are anointed the 'franchise' quarterback, but the team you are on that has never won a Super Bowl just did it with another quarterback. And yeah, it's your team going forward... but it's sort of like asking a girl out and going on a few dates, things are going well, you ask her to go to prom and she says yes... then a few weeks before prom you break your leg so you can't go (plus add whatever dumb reasons related to injury), and instead of her staying home another guy friend takes her to the prom. Then on the big night ends up taking her v-card. And yet those two decide not to be together but she wants to stay with you, and so now you are married to this girl and it's great and chances are you might get lucky and have kids with her (more championships), but at the end of the day... you weren't that guy who was there on prom night with her for the first time. And while you certainly hope to have a family with her, there's no guarantees the two of you ever have children. I'd hate to be that guy.

And, once again, I never once said Wentz's career would be shortened. Never.

Eagles made a post about his buddy recovering from surgery and  applied that to Wentz. I replied with a link to a study that gave an estimation based on other examples. The topic of Wentz's career being shortened never came up so why are you even bringing it up?

19 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

And, once again, I never once said Wentz's career would be shortened. Never.

Eagles made a post about his buddy recovering from surgery and  applied that to Wentz. I replied with a link to a study that gave an estimation based on other examples. The topic of Wentz's career being shortened never came up so why are you even bringing it up?

and it was pointed out how those "other examples" arent really relevant. Your response was "but i posted the study". When pointed out the study is flawed, your response is to ask people to show other studies. Do you really need that to see that what you posed has big issues? I think and hope most of us are intelligent enough to realize theres numerous factors that go into recovery. Your study attempts to boil all of that away.

Additionally, how do they get to the 350 day or whatever average? NFL teams dont put out releases in the offseason saying x players is cleared on this exact day to play in games (if there were one).  How do they know when the "recovery period" is over?

1 hour ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

No I'm not because tons and tons of studies have been done to disprove it.

So far no one has been able to refute this study. Please show me another study or anything that contradicts what the conclusion of this study came to.

I've never once said "because science says so and that's all that matters". I've looked for relevant studies on the subject and offered them up as evidence here. NOT ONE person has been able to post a similar study (or any study for that matter) with different results. That is all I'm asking and people keep dodging it and using their own opinions to try and discredit the study. 

Not even refuting most of that. I don't care about your claim at all.

My point is that your response to valid questions was "I'm gonna believe a research study over some internet guy". It was a stupid response.

6 hours ago, Starless said:

ftfy

Eagles would be crazy to trade him for anything less than a king's ransom, and I'm not sure anyone will be willing to offer enough.

Kings ransom? A team offers a 2nd round pick and I'd take it. He's an average QB that is counting 7.6 mil against the cap. Don't know if I want to keep a backup for that. His value won't get any higher.

4 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

He guided his team to the promised land, it'd be disgraceful for the Eagles to move on from him and give Wentz the starting job again.

As for Wentz, man that's gotta be a rough situation. Sure, you are anointed the 'franchise' quarterback, but the team you are on that has never won a Super Bowl just did it with another quarterback. And yeah, it's your team going forward... but it's sort of like asking a girl out and going on a few dates, things are going well, you ask her to go to prom and she says yes... then a few weeks before prom you break your leg so you can't go (plus add whatever dumb reasons related to injury), and instead of her staying home another guy friend takes her to the prom. Then on the big night ends up taking her v-card. And yet those two decide not to be together but she wants to stay with you, and so now you are married to this girl and it's great and chances are you might get lucky and have kids with her (more championships), but at the end of the day... you weren't that guy who was there on prom night with her for the first time. And while you certainly hope to have a family with her, there's no guarantees the two of you ever have children. I'd hate to be that guy.

You've thought hard about this, and I thank you for it.

I would have no issue keeping Foles and his $7.6M cap hit, as all things considered, we'd still be spending a lot less on the QB position than most teams that have good play at the QB position. I also feel like this SB win just showed how important the backup QB can be. $7.6M is obviously very steep, but that doesn't mean its' not worth. Ideally I would want the Eagles to hold on to Foles unless a desperate team comes around offering a 2nd or 1st round pick.

Not that it will factor in the Eagles' decision whatsoever, its a business at the end of the day, but what is more "disrespectful"? Trading/cutting the man that lead you to a SB, or hanging on to him as a backup and not allowing him the opportunity to start elsewhere?

Archived