NFL Network's Odd Reaction to Saints @ Vikings

joru1000

Was just browsing the internet and mainstream sports stations seeing who's saying what about this crazy ending to the Saints / Vikings game. 

Fox was hyped and laughing about it. Showing replays, and talking about what a finish it was. ESPN was hyped and laughing about it and just enjoying it. Then I switched to NFL Network and they're honestly acting like it's a wake or something. Not a single mention of the Vikings winning, and entirely dedicating it to the Saints and how bad it is they lost, Marcus Williams, etc, etc. Like it's somber. 

Then I realized... neither Fox or ESPN have anything to do with this year's Super Bowl, but the NFL (Network) obviously does. It's pretty obvious they wanted the Saints to win. Brees/Brady is probably what they wanted because the casual fans who only tunes in for the Super Bowl will probably be more interested in the famous Drew Brees than Case Keenum or Nick Foles. While I understand it, I still think it's kind of disturbing. I expect the NFL Network to be the most unbiased of all the networks covering the league, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Honestly bothers me. Makes me wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes lol.

1 hour ago, joru1000 said:

Was just browsing the internet and mainstream sports stations seeing who's saying what about this crazy ending to the Saints / Vikings game. 

Fox was hyped and laughing about it. Showing replays, and talking about what a finish it was. ESPN was hyped and laughing about it and just enjoying it. Then I switched to NFL Network and they're honestly acting like it's a wake or something. Not a single mention of the Vikings winning, and entirely dedicating it to the Saints and how bad it is they lost, Marcus Williams, etc, etc. Like it's somber. 

Then I realized... neither Fox or ESPN have anything to do with this year's Super Bowl, but the NFL (Network) obviously does. It's pretty obvious they wanted the Saints to win. Brees/Brady is probably what they wanted because the casual fans who only tunes in for the Super Bowl will probably be more interested in the famous Drew Brees than Case Keenum or Nick Foles. While I understand it, I still think it's kind of disturbing. I expect the NFL Network to be the most unbiased of all the networks covering the league, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

What do you want an hour long Lebron decision esque program about the Vikings?

What a goofy observation. I'm sure NFL Network didn't want the Saints to get in. I highly doubt a significantly larger amount of people would watch the Super Bowl if it were Brees vs. Brady instead of Keenum vs. Brady. All football fans are going to watch the game. Anyone that isn't a fan of football that is going to watch doesn't even understand that Brees is better than Keenum, so that point is moot.

If this were a regular season game or even a playoff game, sure. But the Super Bowl viewing numbers aren't going to be skewed regardless of the matchup IMO.

Also, they were focusing more on the botched tackle because that's what happened. It wasn't some amazing play by the Vikings--it was much more of a flub by New Orleans. It's what should be being discussed. Marshawn Lynch's run in the playoffs years ago was an amazing play by Lynch. Nobody really screwed up resulting in that TD--he just manhandled people. If it were something like that, I'm sure they'd be spending more time talking about what an amazing play it was that won the game. But this was just a straight up botch by the Saints. It warranted the bulk of the discussion.

I hate "conspiracy guy." Maybe it's unfair, but I think "conspiracy guy" tends to have a low IQ. From flat-earthers to the "NBA is rigged" guy, I just have a hard time taking any of them seriously. Also, as Joe Rogan talked about, people that believe in one conspiracy also tend to believe in a million conspiracies. It's an embarrassing archetype. Hop off the bandwagon dude!

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I hate "conspiracy guy." Maybe it's unfair, but I think "conspiracy guy" tends to have a low IQ. From flat-earthers to the "NBA is rigged" guy, I just have a hard time taking any of them seriously. Also, as Joe Rogan talked about, people that believe in one conspiracy also tend to believe in a million conspiracies. It's an embarrassing archetype. Hop off the bandwagon dude!

Careful, flat-earthers have a tendency to come running out the woodworks.  And the moon landing fakers aren't far behind.

I mean, the QB's left in the playoffs after that game are: Foles, Keenum, Bortles, and Brady. The NFL loses when teams like these get this far, so it's logical that they aren't excited about these teams moving forward.

However, as a fan of the NFL, I love parity and I love that the best defenses (and the Patriots) are moving forward. I love that the Steelers lost to the Jags, and I hope the Patriots lose to them as well.

2 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

OP said he didn’t think the NFL Network was enthusiastic. Whether that’s true or not, IDK how people are calling it a conspiracy theory. I guess accusing everyone of being a conspiracy theorist is the trendy thing these days 

Well, in his last sentence he is wondering how far down the rabbit hole goes.  

2 hours ago, joru1000 said:

I don't really see the issue with it. Yeah tbh Brees vs Brady is more money for them and honestly on a personal note, Brees has kinda got the short end of the stick his entire career and this was probably seen as the last chance of a QB who really should be more highly regarded to have a shot on the way out. 

But yeah at the end of the day this is a league about generating money and they probably wanted a money match up and now their NFCCG is between two back up QB's and their AFCCG was set to be a rematch of the highest rated game of the year and now a huge football market was replaced with a smaller one. 

It shouldn't matter to fans of the teams at all, but I get it. And I really don't think it's a big deal. But for the people who just care about the dollars, yeah I guess they might be upset lol. Who cares though, screw em. 

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

I mean, the QB's left in the playoffs after that game are: Foles, Keenum, Bortles, and Brady. The NFL loses when teams like these get this far, so it's logical that they aren't excited about these teams moving forward.

However, as a fan of the NFL, I love parity and I love that the best defenses (and the Patriots) are moving forward. I love that the Steelers lost to the Jags, and I hope the Patriots lose to them as well.

They won't lose that much. Plenty of storylines left.

7 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

OP said he didn’t think the NFL Network was enthusiastic. Whether that’s true or not, IDK how people are calling it a conspiracy theory. I guess accusing everyone of being a conspiracy theorist is the trendy thing these days 

The OP is saying that the networks wanted the Saints to win(hence conspiracy). But because they didn't, the networks are now just concentrating more on HOW the Saints lost and not enough about the greatness that is the Vikings and he is taking offense to this. 

Archived