Todd Haley Leaving Pittsburgh; QB coach Randy Fichtner to replace him

The Gnat

On 1/17/2018 at 10:55 AM, Ray Reed said:

42 points against the Jags, 3rd in total offense this year. You can say he has some bad calls situationally but literally every coordinator does. Offensive production doesn't seem like the problem in Pittsburgh to me but hey, guess they're banking on this raising them from the third best offense to the 2nd or 1st.

He couldn't get that offense to score 30 points in a game until Week 11. 

3 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

He couldn't get that offense to score 30 points in a game until Week 11. 

Trust me. You don't know a good thing til its gone. But you will find out soon enough. The very fact you can even complain about putting a 40 burger on the jags and still keep complaining is a testament to how spoiled you guys are.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

There are a lot of people praising Haley. You also have people who are pointing out how people hated Arians. I'm just going to point out two things:

1. The OL was a complete and utter disaster under Arians. That's the funny part about his firing - they fired him with the excuse that he let Ben get hit too much, and only after he left did they start to actually build a real OL. They were Seattle before there was Seattle. Arians was not perfect in Pittsburgh.

2. The amount of draft capital and cap space spent on one side of the ball versus the other completely flipped under Haley. Haley had little to do with drafting Brown or Bell. He got to benefit from premium pick after premium pick being spent on the OL to go along with Munchack as the OL coach. The only draft picks I can remember being tied to Haley were Sammie Coates and Markus Wheaton. Juju may have been a guy he wanted. So, hurray. He got one right.

3. With the talent on this offense, who wouldn't succeed as well as Haley? Seriously.

This is an offense with a HOF QB, a top 5 OL, probably the league's best WR, one of it's best RB's, and then Martavis Bryant and company. At what point has anyone said to themselves, "Boy, that Todd Haley sure has these guys playing above their talent level!" Hint - they haven't.

The offense has been at its best consistently for years when Haley was removed from the equation on gamedays. As in, no-huddle. It's been at its worth in situational moments where they should thrive. Todd Haley does not deserve credit for Roethlisberger and his WR's taking over a game on fourth downs against the Jaguars. He deserves plenty of blame for why this offense didn't crack 30 points until week 11.

What I really want is an offense that is just allowed to go out there weekly and try and score as much as possible. Part of the problem is, in fact, Tomlin. He's a defensive coach who can't build a defense and who has just enough control to neuter the offense. So I hope we finally get to see a Steelers offense with max talent that just goes out and worries about scoring as much as possible. And I hope it's Ben's offense. I hope we see more no-huddle. Even if...GASP...they're on the road! At the least I'll know the offensive coordinator and QB don't hate one another.

Edited by CKSteeler

2 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Trust me. You don't know a good thing til its gone. But you will find out soon enough. The very fact you can even complain about putting a 40 burger on the jags and still keep complaining is a testament to how spoiled you guys are.

If you say so.  I know a lot more about this team than you do.  

I didn't complain about putting 40 on the Jags.  I said the team couldn't score 30 until the 10th game of the season.  Haley was bad in the first half of the season.