Todd Haley Leaving Pittsburgh; QB coach Randy Fichtner to replace him

The Gnat

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This seems like a disaster in the making. Two of the most ego-driven arrogant coaches teaming up should work fine.

Stealing a division rival's best coordinator is usually a pretty good move IMO. Differences they may have aside, very good get for the browns since Haley despite his shortcomings is a very good offensive mind and should help the browns not be total garbage on offense. 

Or it's the browns and Haley will get Jackson fired mid-season and go on a winning streak that will get him the HC job. 

30 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

c'mon dude

you know this is going to happen

I like Hue jackson and want him to coach the browns for the next decade, so against my better judgement I'll say Haley doesn't destroy the locker room and leak rumors like "jackson has lost the lockeroom" "Jackson puts up anime posters in his office" " Deshone Kizer hates beach crabs" " John Dorsey smells like Walrus"

It's going to end in failure, somehow someway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

*insert Steeler fan talking about how bad Haley was*

Anyone who has watched the Steelers extensively enough know just how poor of a job he did with that offense. So your generalizing here is not only unwarranted but it is also very wrong.

I'm not a Steelers fan but I have watched damn near every single game of theirs for decades now and Haley is absolutely terrible. Other members have already pointed out the deficiencies in his situational play-calling, which they are absolutely right, but it's also his lack of utilizing the strengths of his own players and not attacking the weaknesses of his other opponents just to add to a couple more of his deficiencies.

It's funny though. I have read this entire thread and I have read posts from Steelers fans(who watched the game more than most) state the same negative opinions about Haley that they have had about him since forever while also backing up those statements with facts in detail.

However, I have also seen alot posts from other members(who probably have not watched the Steelers as much as the their fans do) claiming that Haley was a good OC but I have yet to see one single detailed post from these people as to exactly why they think that he is a good OC.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

*insert Steeler fan talking about how bad Haley was*

Comment is pointless.    Steeler fans were talking about this long long before the Browns hired him.

His offense itself is fine.     His gameplanning and situational playcalling?   Good luck.   

• Like 6

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Anyone who has watched the Steelers extensively enough know just how poor of a job he did with that offense. So your generalizing here is not only unwarranted but it is also very wrong.

I'm not a Steelers fan but I have watched damn near every single game of theirs for decades now and Haley is absolutely terrible. Other members have already pointed out the deficiencies in his situational play-calling, which they are absolutely right, but it's also his lack of utilizing the strengths of his own players and not attacking the weaknesses of his other opponents just to add to a couple more of his deficiencies.

It's funny though. I have read this entire thread and I have read posts from Steelers fans(who watched the game more than most) state the same negative opinions about Haley that they have had about him since forever while also backing up those statements with facts in detail.

However, I have also seen alot posts from other members(who probably have not watched the Steelers as much as the their fans do) claiming that Haley was a good OC but I have yet to see one single detailed post from these people as to exactly why they think that he is a good OC.

8th in points, 3rd in yards, 13-3 record. Thanks for the call....

Edited by MSURacerDT55

20 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

8th in points, 3rd in yards, 13-3 record. Thanks for the call....

And like I said......

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

but I have yet to see one single detailed post from these people as to exactly why they think that he is a good OC.

Thanks for playing though.

59 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

And like I said......

Thanks for playing though.

Ooo ooo ooo, let me try? lets see, As an offensive coordinator with the Cardinals his offense was 3rd, and with the Steelers his offenses were 22nd, 16th, 7th, 4th, 10th and 8th. A little detail for you, thanks for the call....

54 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Ooo ooo ooo, let me try? lets see, As an offensive coordinator with the Cardinals his offense was 3rd, and with the Steelers his offenses were 22nd, 16th, 7th, 4th, 10th and 8th. A little detail for you, thanks for the call....

Yep, let's ignore the context of him running the most talented offensive group in the league...that sounds like a great idea.

And as others have stated, his situational playcalling is VERY poor. I'd be curious to see where his 3rd/4th down conversion rates and red zone TD rates rank.

Edited by skywlker32

Haley's play design was very good.  His play calling was bad.  His draft picks ( those that were reported that he pounded the table for), Dri Archer and Sammie Coates,  have either not panned out or were out right busts.  If Jackson can force Haley into the booth on game day he may see some improvement. 

When you saw the Steelers Offense really take off it was when they ran the hurry up and Ben called the plays.  They tended to stall in the red zone because of Haley's play calling.

Edited by jebrick

12 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Yep, let's ignore the context of him running the most talented offensive group in the league...that sounds like a great idea.

And as others have stated, his situational playcalling is VERY poor. I'd be curious to see where his 3rd/4th down conversion rates and red zone TD rates rank.

K, thanks

I'm fine with the hire, but not overly excited. There's no doubt that Haley has led some productive offenses during his stints as offensive coordinator, but how hard is it to do that when you have Ben, Brown, Bell and other good players? And he also had some talent when he was in Arizona.

Either way, I expect Hue to be gone by the end of next season, so that likely means the coaching staff will be gone as well. Hue's offense clearly wasn't working though, so I'm perfectly fine with giving Haley a shot.

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Spoken like someone who just looks at stats without having a clue what they are talking about.   No shock there.     

Lets just ignore the fact that his biggest issues were poor gameplanning and situational playcalling, which regularly held us back.

Lets not bother looking at the absurd amount of talent he had in Arizona and Pittsburgh....and the fact that even with perhaps the best offensive talent in the league, his offense in Pittsburgh only finished in the top 5 once....and his offenses were very very streaky, in large part due to the aforementioned terrible gameplanning and playcalling. 

Lets just ignore how big of an ego he has, and how he hasnt been particularly liked anywhere he has coached.

And way to conveniently omit his time in Kansas City when he didnt have a top 5 QB and elite WR talent to work with.

And unlike you, I can actually be objective.    Haley could have some success in Cleveland,   His offense could be beneficial to a young QB and could put Gordon in nice position to light it up.    However, despite the big stats some of his offenses have put up,  how about looking beyond just those stats.

In summary...

1) His offenses are extremely streaky.

2) His gameplanning, especially to start games, can be embarrassingly bad (bland and predictable, fails to exploit mismatches and often plays right into what other teams do well).

3) His situational playcalling is among the worst Ive ever seen (see the Jags playoff game on 4th and 1's for a small example of his incompetence)

4) His ego takes priority over whats best for the actual offense.  There is a reason many of his former players didnt like him.

5) Despite having elite talent, his offenses often stagnate.  Not always his fault, but often is.

Does that mean he cant have any success in Cleveland?  No.....but these are things Steeler fans have been annoyed with for years, and if he is OC for a few years in  Cleveland, I guarantee youll get a front row seat to these things in the coming seasons.

Edited by FourThreeMafia
  • Like 1