Todd Haley Leaving Pittsburgh; QB coach Randy Fichtner to replace him

The Gnat

i think it's going to be hard to mess up the steelers offense... but i think its nuts that Ben supposedly didnt have the authority to change the call at the line. but with a solid OL (after years of disastrous play), weapons, and a QB who doesnt look done yet, they should be fine. i dont think haley was their big problem, though.

off topic,  i remember posters more from their avatar than name, but is FourThree the guy who used to have the Tomlin avi?

Edited by raiderrocker18

2 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

i think it's going to be hard to mess up the steelers offense... but i think its nuts that Ben supposedly didnt have the authority to change the call at the line. but with a solid OL (after years of disastrous play), weapons, and a QB who doesnt look done yet, they should be fine. i dont think haley was their big problem, though.

off topic,  i remember posters more from their avatar than name, but is FourThree the guy who used to have the Tomlin avi?

I was looking at it earlier today, and in the Haley era we averaged 18th in the NFL in 3rd down conversions, and 21st int the NFL in the red zone.

So if we have a great OL, weapons, and a QB who's still able to go, what else could the issue be?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I'm sorry but this is just flat-out ignorance. How did Arians prove us wrong exactly? He was a pretty good head coach but that doesn't mean he was good as offensive coordinator. Yes he had some success with Arizona, but that doesn't mean it dismisses our biggest criticism of him, which was the situational play calling, which I've also heard Cardinals and Colts fans complain about during his time as offensive play-caller. So no, he didn't really prove anything wrong in regards to the criticism Steeler fans had about him.

Arians was a great head coach for Arizona and Indy. He also was the offensive mind behind some great offenses in Arizona. He definitely proved Steelers fans wrong. Y'all wanted the guy fired. It's pure ignorance to pretend that you're justified because Arians has flaws. I already addressed that earlier. Every person has flaws.

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Arians and Haley were both laughably bad situational playcallers and gameplanners in general.   Both would regularly move away from whats working.  Both would regularly fail to take advantage of favorable matchups.  Both consistently failed at situational playcalling.  Its easy to look at the stats and believe they have been good OCs without actually watching them week to week and coming to a more informed conclusion, but I promise you, both were mediocre OCs.  Arians was a terrific QB coach and Haley's offense was quite good, but neither were even remotely decent at situational play calling, and that was the biggest issue with both of them. And Haley has only ever had Elite talents on offenses he has coached as offensive coordinator both in Pittsburgh and Arizona. Any remotely decent coordinator could have success with the talent he had with both of those teams. Well or offense had plenty of success under him, it was also a lot more inconsistent than it had any right to be with the talent we have.

Your next offensive coordinator will also have flaws. At some point, y'all need to reevaluate your expectations. Fact is that Haley's offense was 3rd in points per drive and 4th in yards per drive this year. 

I love how everyone keeps talking about how Haley is fielding a Top 5 offense year in and year out... Everyone realizes that they're talking about yards right? Which is meaningless... The Steelers Offense has ranked in the Top 5 in terms of Points scored just once in the Haley era despite having a Top 5 QB, Top 3 HB, and Top God-Level Wide Receiver during that span and a consistent and healthy O-Line. Oh, and Wide Receivers who would likely start elsewhere. It's because he cannot get it done in the Red Zone or Short Yardage situations which has cost this team games. There's no excuse to never be in the top 3 scoring offenses with that talent!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I'm sorry but this is just flat-out ignorance. How did Arians prove us wrong exactly? He was a pretty good head coach but that doesn't mean he was good as offensive coordinator. Yes he had some success with Arizona, but that doesn't mean it dismisses our biggest criticism of him, which was the situational play calling, which I've also heard Cardinals and Colts fans complain about during his time as offensive play-caller. So no, he didn't really prove anything wrong in regards to the criticism Steeler fans had about him.

What did Arians do other than possibly end Palmer and Luck's careers at differnet ends of the spectrum?

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Are people really defending Todd Haley here? Dude's been carried by the talent in Pittsburgh for years. I know Pittsburgh's offense has performed well in recent years. Didn't think anyone actually thought that was because of Haley.

he's not the only one that benefitted  by the  talent this team has. If for some reason of luck we get coaching that gets the most from the talent, I doubt we would see as many mock drafts and a 1 and done post season lets say:$  

Edited by 3rivers