NFL News & Notes

Leader

27 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Without a market correction at RB, what GB is doing will soon become the standard.

WR seems to following the trajectory that QB contracts did.  Which is to say, the value of paying a really high end one is worth the market price, but the value of paying a middle tier one is a false economy.  This is doubly true because you do not, in any sense, need a superstar WR in order to be good at throwing the ball.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

Jones must be looking at that and thinking.....how? why? He's older too. I guess Jones market suffered when Mixon hit the market. Houston pounced on Mixon, I suppose Dallas McCarthy was lukewarm on Aaron Jones if prior history is anything to go by. McCarthy always liked his big backs. Bengals, Raiders, Giants, Vikings were all looking for RBs after losing theirs.

Henry actually lost leverage when the Titans signed Pollard and judging from reports looks like only one team was in for him, Baltimore. Yet somehow he comes away with a solid contract that Aaron Jones was unable to get.

Take a look at Henry's games played stats. In short, he puts guys on the sidelines.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/derrick-henry-18994/stats-valuation/

Just now, Chili said:

Jones must be looking at that and thinking.....how? why? He's older too.

I guess Jones market suffered when Mixon hit the market.

Houston pounced on Mixon, I suppose Dallas McCarthy was lukewarm on Aaron Jones if prior history is anything to go by. McCarthy always liked his big backs. Bengals, Raiders, Giants, Vikings were all looking for RBs after losing theirs.

Henry actually lost leverage when the Titans signed Pollard and judging from reports looks like only one team was in for him, Baltimore. Yet somehow he comes away with a solid contract that Aaron Jones was unable to get.

I have to assume Jones/Rosenhaus were expecting Jones to land a deal that looked very much like the Henry deal with BAL.  They misjudged the market.  I actually forgot about how slow Mac was to make Jones the starter.  Pass-pro was always given as the reason, but I always thought there was more to it.  At the time, it was obvious that Jones was the most talented runner GB had, and it wasn't close.

Pat Queen goes to the Steelers for $41m over three years, thought he would have had a bigger deal than that. Might mean Devin White could come in quite cheap....

Edited by Brit Pack

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Pat Queen goes to the Steelers for $41m over three years, thought he would have had a bigger deal than that. Might mean Devin White could come in quite cheap....

I kind of expect the Packers to nab a linebacker and a safety yet in FA, but all seems quiet on the Packers front today.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I kind of expect the Packers to nab a linebacker and a safety yet in FA, but all seems quiet on the Packers front today.

They made the cuts, they got the space, they got the need. They have to!!!! Don't they....

20 minutes ago, Chili said:

Jones must be looking at that and thinking.....how? why? He's older too.

I guess Jones market suffered when Mixon hit the market.

Houston pounced on Mixon, I suppose Dallas McCarthy was lukewarm on Aaron Jones if prior history is anything to go by. McCarthy always liked his big backs. Bengals, Raiders, Giants, Vikings were all looking for RBs after losing theirs.

Henry has been pretty durable.  Jones less so.

Dallas needs to clear up their cap situation first.  

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have to assume Jones/Rosenhaus were expecting Jones to land a deal that looked very much like the Henry deal with BAL.  They misjudged the market.  I actually forgot about how slow Mac was to make Jones the starter.  Pass-pro was always given as the reason, but I always thought there was more to it.  At the time, it was obvious that Jones was the most talented runner GB had, and it wasn't close.

Jones has always been brittle.  He was always battling some kind of injury, didn't always miss time, but wasn't often 100% either.  It also took him a little longer to develop the pass protection aspect of his game. So you had to pick your spots with him.  I really feel that his limited usage has extended his career.  Whether it was Dillon or Williams, he probably needed someone else to help take the punishment an every down back would be subjected to.  Love me some Aaron Jones, but he needs a partner back there. 

I hope he does well enough to pull the Vikings to an 8-9 record for a couple of seasons.  And that he gets a big standing ovation when he comes to Lambeau.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Not sure where you're getting that 6M offer info from. Do you have a link or tweet?
I dont keep close tabs on cap stuff. That what I pay Gute & Ball to handle :) but yesterday I read that Jones woujld have cost 17M against the cap and GB was asking him to take a 50% cut - so his signing for 7M would represent less than that 50% offer.

Pack offered 4 mil base 2 mil in incentives.  Vikes 6 mil base 1 mil in incentives.  Just got the report on it.  Was pretty close.   If he hit his incentives only talking 1 mil.  

I'm watching Blackmon and Fuller in the safety market.   Interested to see where they land.   I've seen projections for Blackmon at 2 yrs 11.5mil.    Not sure the $ GB still has or wants to throw around at another vet safety 

• Like 1