NFL News & Notes

Leader

27 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Who do you think the target is for the Vikings? 

Maye makes sense due to his relationship with Josh McCown. Before this trade, I figured it was JJ McCarthy.

I think Maye has an very high ceiling but low floor, whereas McCarthy has an unknown ceiling with a high floor.

For those that have been advocating for a better backup QB, what do you think of the Kenny Pickett trade?

He has extremely reasonable cap #'s at $1.98 and 2.63 the next two seasons.    

Philly got Pickett and #120     Pitt got #98 and two 2025 7th rnd picks

Would you have made that deal with our #91 and maybe slight tweaks in the late round draft fillers?  I think I would have.   Still think there's more upside in developing Pickett behind Love vs Clifford

• Like 1

Just now, Kampfgeist said:

For those that have been advocating for a better backup QB, what do you think of the Kenny Pickett trade?

Would you have made that deal with our #91 and maybe slight tweaks in the late round draft fillers?  I think I would have.   Still think there's more upside in developing Pickett behind Love vs Clifford

I had to stop and think for a second in so much as I get Pickett confused with that other under achieving wanna-be QB: Ridder - who was traded yesterday (or the day before) I think to AZ. I dont like either of them...which means, I'm fine with Clifford over either.

19 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Seeing what Clements and LaFluer can get out of Clifford this preseason, and hopefully only the preseason, is going to be one of the more interesting stories of camp for me. I have no idea what he is but he will probably get 60% of the snaps and hopefully is out there dealing. It’s easy to get gassed up on your own fringe players but he actually showed a little something and we can dream of Matty Flynn folktales as QB2 in GB. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport -   Another defensive addition: The 49ers are signing former Packers star LB De'Vondre Campbell to a 1-year deal.

This makes some sense.  Greenlaw is probably not going to be ready for game action to start the season after tearing his achilles.  

6 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

no it was a weird trade by minnesota. 

Giving up 42, 188, and 33-42* FOR 23 + 232 is bad process for a rebuilding team.  Doubly so since you don't know what you are getting for 23 right now until the other 22 picks come off the board.

As long as Minnesota doesn't bottom out, I don't hate this trade for the Vikings.  The timing is a little odd because you're making a pre-draft deal over a month prior to the draft.  For Houston, if you think Minnesota is going to be bad then moving down from 23 to 42 makes sense.  For Houston, you're almost certainly missing out on that 2nd tier of WRs.  OT probably isn't going to be any better.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As long as Minnesota doesn't bottom out, I don't hate this trade for the Vikings.  The timing is a little odd because you're making a pre-draft deal over a month prior to the draft.  For Houston, if you think Minnesota is going to be bad then moving down from 23 to 42 makes sense.  For Houston, you're almost certainly missing out on that 2nd tier of WRs.  OT probably isn't going to be any better.

42 + 42 for 23 is really bad IMO.  That's worth around pick 15-17 in a vacuum. 

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

Pittsburgh saw him everyday for 2 years and gave draft value to get rid of him. Dude is cheeks. 

Hand measuring is the craniometry of the NFL. 

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

42 + 42 for 23 is really bad IMO.  That's worth around pick 15-17 in a vacuum. 

First off, there's the time value aspect of it.  A pick next year is not worth the same as a pick this year if we make the assumption that the team doesn't get any better or worse.  If you assume that a pick this year is worth the same as a pick next year, then sure it is a bad deal.  But it's no different than the time value of money.  Depending on how you devalue future picks, the Vikings probably got a pretty damn good deal here.  Personally, I devalue them as a round later in the middle of that round for each year (i.e. a '24 SRP is worth ~80th overall pick).  So if you take #42 (480) plus #80 (190) you come out to roughly the 27th/28th pick.  If you value it as the best pick in the next round (i.e. #65), then that trade up is worth the ~24th overall pick.  For that reason alone, it's a pretty good value trade for Minnesota.

Secondly, this is also assuming that you believe Minnesota is going to bottom out.  And they may very well be a mediocre team.