NFL News & Notes

Leader

48 minutes ago, SSG said:

Why because it doesn't support your agenda?  Callahan also missed the last 4 games last year and hasn't played a down of football this year.  You can make him out to be an irreplaceable difference maker but he's not.  The drop off from Callahan to Skrine has been minimal at best.  

I didn't spend 4 years saying anything about HHCD and what he before this year is absolutely irrelevant.  Funny that you expect me to ignore how he's played this year because of an opinion about him when he was a Packer.  4 years ago HHCD was an All Pro, I can tell you for a fact that I wasn't telling anyone how much he sucked then.

And you are out of your mind if you can tell me with a straight face that Khalil Mack's contract was the only reason that kept them from giving Callahan 2 million more per year.  

i'm not too stubborn to see anything.  You've got the agenda and the need to feel right about any piece of rubbish that leaves your mouth.  

Where did I say significantly higher?  I guess it's easier to try to make Mack out to be a terrible player while conveniently ignoring that he rates higher in your beloved ranking system that you put before anything?  It's the whole, look at PFF, it's the end all be all of everything when it supports my argument but lets ignore it in EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE it doesn't support what I'm saying.  

i stand by what i said previously.  While I don't love the deal for Chicago I don't see it being the franchise destroyer it's made out to be.  It it was, we'd have got Fuller when he signed our offer.   

Pure and simple ... Bears are screwed in the future if their qb doesn't improve. They have no picks to improve, no cash to upgrade and have to cut starters to maintain.  Spin any way possible ... they are hurting!

56 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Does anyone even feel like WE would be better off with Mack at this point?  Starting next year, we'd be paying Rodgers 30 million and Mack 26 million.  56 million to two players. 

If we got Mack, we would lose:

Amos, Z, Preston.  We could probably still sign Turner. 

But where would we be at safety?  OMG, that thought is terrifying.  We would not have gotten Savage. 

Imagine being us right now with Mack and no safeties. 

That's never been my argument  I think I could be convinced I'd rather have Mack than Zadarius (a guy we wouldn't have been able to afford) and Gary (our first round pick) but I was never an advocate of giving up the haul that Oakland got.  Green Bay might not have been able to afford both P. Smith and Amos but they'd have likely been able to add at least one.  Had we had the elite pass rusher I'm not sure we need to start adding OLBs with the reckless abandon that we did this last off season.  

Edited by SSG

16 minutes ago, SSG said:

A matter of an opinion.  I never said they were better, I said there wasn't much of a drop off between the pairs.  The idea that Amos and Callahan are substantially better players for no other reason than the contracts they signed is absolutely laughable.

Incorrect.  HHCD was an all pro in 2016.

Paying any player a historic contract generally doesn't work out but it's not always the future destroying decision that it's being made out to be.  What happens if we don't make Reggie White the highest paid player in NFL history in 93?  We're very likely not the franchise we are today.  

You are right on HHCD he was 2nd team, your only correct point all day. 

ARE WE ACTING LIKE KHALIL MACK IS THE SAME CALIBER AS REGGIE WHITE, THE BEST PASS RUSHER OF ALL TIME? Khalil's cap hit in the coming years is also a higher percentage of the cap then Reggie's ever was. Plus we didn't give up multiple picks. Apples to Oranges. 

Edited by TheBitzMan

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Pure and simple ... Bears are screwed in the future if their qb doesn't improve. They have no picks to improve, no cash to upgrade and have to cut starters to maintain.  Spin any way possible ... they are hurting!

To be fair, most teams in the league are screwed if their QB sucks.  Would we be any better off if we lost AR12 to a career ending injury?

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Does anyone even feel like WE would be better off with Mack at this point?  Starting next year, we'd be paying Rodgers 30 million and Mack 26 million.  56 million to two players. 

If we got Mack, we would lose:

Amos, Z, Preston.  We could probably still sign Turner. 

But where would we be at safety?  OMG, that thought is terrifying.  We would not have gotten Savage. 

Imagine being us right now with Mack and no safeties. 

Easily could've signed Amos and Turner with Mack. Delay the cap hit. It's 12-26 and both EDGEs for Mack.

Depending on what we do under the different set of circumstances (ask Nick Perry for a paycut and he obliges and we get another S) I think it could be a push.

I still applaud Gute for making the offer and do think it would've helped our team significantly last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

You spent 4 years saying how much Clinton-Dix sucks and now you're saying he's no drop off

It's because he isn't critical of anyone unless they're packers.

It's almost like he was taught the exact opposite of being a fan is actually being a fan.

Just now, TheBitzMan said:

ARE WE ACTING LIKE KHALIL MACK IS THE SAME CALIBER AS REGGIE WHITE, THE BEST PASS RUSHER OF ALL TIME? Khalil's cap hit in the coming years is also a higher percentage of the cap then Reggie's every was.

Not understanding the need for your childish little barb.  Is it that hard for you to deal with a different opinion than your own?

I'm not acting like anything.  Reggie White was a 32 year old DE who Green Bay destroyed the NFL salary structure for back in 93. Khalil Mack's the best edge rusher in the NFL and elite defender.  They certainly aren't the same caliber of players when looking at their careers.

I've got no idea how Reggie's contract was structured on a year to year basis so there is no way to substantiate that Reggie's cap hit wasn't in the same realm as Mack's.  If you are using Reggie's contract's average, it was 12.2% of the 1994 salary cap.  

One interesting point in this whole discussion regarding Mack.

I think he has already re-negotiated his deal to kick that cap hit down the road.  He did it this past year in order for them to sign those journeymen free agents to fill holes.

That contract has absolutely hurt them, and really it has hurt them because their QB has not been what he thought he would become.  Yet.

That being said?  I'm still a huge Mack fan.  He's an insanely good player.  We are pretty lucky that Z is playing at level close to him.  And let's pray that Z can keep that level of play up for a few more years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

ARE WE ACTING LIKE KHALIL MACK IS THE SAME CALIBER AS REGGIE WHITE, THE BEST PASS RUSHER OF ALL TIME? Khalil's cap hit in the coming years is also a higher percentage of the cap then Reggie's ever was. Plus we didn't give up multiple picks. Apples to Oranges. 

Wasn't Reggie White's free agent contract before the salary cap?