NFL News & Notes

Leader

Also, I must say.  The Vikings have a ******* fantastic deal for Danielle Hunter.  He is only 25 and has come off of back-to-back 14.5 sack, Pro Bowl seasons.  And they are paying him 12 million this year.  His cap hit is 9 million which puts him at 23rd for DEs and 39th among all edge rushers (numbers according to spotrac).  It goes up to 13th in 2021 and 11th in 2022, but that is before any new contracts that will be signed in the meantime. 

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Also, I must say.  The Vikings have a ******* fantastic deal for Danielle Hunter.  He is only 25 and has come off of back-to-back 14.5 sack, Pro Bowl seasons.  And they are paying him 12 million this year.  His cap hit is 9 million which puts him at 23rd for DEs and 39th among all edge rushers (numbers according to spotrac).  It goes up to 13th in 2021 and 11th in 2022, but that is before any new contracts that will be signed in the meantime. 

Maybe he is secretly holding out and that's what the real issue with him is right now. 

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I definitely agree, but it's not sacrificing a RB, it's not sacrificing a safety.  It's sacrificing a RB, a safety AND a second round pick for a pass rusher. 

It's the Mack thing again.  With Mack, we would have sacrificed Preston Smith, Z. Smith, Adrian Amos, Rashan Gary and Darnell Savage for Mack.

I don't care how elite the player is, there is no player elite enough outside of the QB position worth 4 good players.  There sure as hell isn't a pass rusher elite enough to sacrifice two good players, one elite player and one player with elite potential. 

I don't disagree but, that is a lot larger haul than Harris, Cook, 2nd rounder (plus the conditional 5th).

I'm pretty sure that I would rather have the Vikings roster and cap issues than the Bears.

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't disagree but, that is a lot larger haul than Harris, Cook, 2nd rounder (plus the conditional 5th).

I'm pretty sure that I would rather have the Vikings roster and cap issues than the Bears.

Yeah, but even objectively looking at it...

Every one of the teams has an elite pass rusher under 28.
The Packers still have the best QB in the division.
The Packers have a first round rookie QB behind that best QB.

The Packers are by far in the best shape of any team in the division not only for this season, but for the next five seasons. 

Of course Love could bust and we could get screwed, but...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Maybe he is secretly holding out and that's what the real issue with him is right now. 

We've been very lucky with Hunter. He was underpaid when we originally extended him. Knew we have to create a new contract him but it's taken longer than even I expected. Surprised he hasn't raised a stink yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Hunter is signed for 3-4 more years.

Ifeadi Odenigbo would actually be the one gone after this season, being the 3rd DE. He filled in nicely last year for Griffen.

Speaking of Griffen, yes likely you get similar production out of them, but given Griffen's age in comparison to Ngakoue, it makes sense to go with the younger player. The bigger issue is going back to the first point, getting a deal done in 2021.

Yeah Hunter is signed for 3-4 years... but IF the team started paying a less talented edge rusher more than him (which is what people thought was happening before it broke that Ngakoue took a pay cut from his franchise tag), then he might be an unhappy player and wanting a new contract and/or trade... which complicates getting a new deal with Ngakoue done, as he rumored to want a deal that's better than what Hunter current has. 

PS: I'm still pissed you guy got Hunter, I was hyping him and telling everyone who'd listen, that he was undervalued well before his draft... LSU played him in a 4 tech, to help stop the run... which they do heavily in the SEC, but it was clear, that was his absolute weakness, play him to his strengths (pass rush like the NFL would) and he'd be worth a 1st rounder. 

I'm actually wondering, if the Vikings have a plan to keep everyone, or if this is an all in year, where they're going to be willing to lose guys next year... and/or expect with the cap being lower, everyone will be cheaper to resign next year. But looking at the contract of your starting LT, WR, SS and OLB, the Vikings could cut or trade a couple of contracts and make huge amount of cap room easily.... the problem is, I doubt they want to get rid of the WR and SS (and maybe OLB)... plus they probably want to resign the FS and DE. I think they can do it, but they might have to make a hard decision or two, or be heavy loaded on cap, but they have been willing to do that, trying to put themselves over the top, but I think they're further than they think...

I actually thought the Vikings might draft QB Jordan Love to develop him and release Cousin in a year or two to make more cap room to get out of being so darn tight to the cap... but then I realized  if Mike Zimmer has his way, they're totally drafting a CB (or two), and with the WR heavy draft, replace the guy the WR they traded.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beast said:

I agree that they probably could have gotten the same or more out of Griffen, especially considering being physical and run defense aren't things Yannick Ngakoue like to do.

I agree with some of the tweets suggestions giving Ngakoue the contract he wants is just going to upset Hunter (who's better but being paid 2/3rd the cost). Which brings up the question, can the Vikings.maoe both happy? Or are they planning on one to leave?

Ngakoue is nearly 9 years younger than Griffen, they’ll be planning to keep him long-term. 

Hunter will get an early extension, either next offseason (with 3 years left on his deal) or in 2022. Same approach they took with Thielen after Diggs’ extension.

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

A second round pick is too much for a player making 17 million.  Yannick took a pay cut down to 13 million.  A second round pick is still too much for that. 

No, not at all.

2nd round pick for blue chip player on a 1 year deal is a good deal, made all the time. Where teams get in trouble is sending multiple 1sts (like Mack, Adams or Ramsey). A 2nd rounder (likely in the bottom half of the round) isn’t nearly that high a cost.

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Ngakoue will be a 26-year-old EDGE rusher hitting unrestricted free agency.  The Vikings don't have the cap space to tag him, and they certainly don't have the cap space to re-sign him, so they just gave up a second round pick for a one year rental it seems, or a multi-year rental that will cost them Harris and Cook. 

They do have the cap space to re-sign Ngakoue, and will be planning to do so. Whether he gets paid more or less than $20M is probably determined by how well he does this year.

They probably don’t plan to extend Harris at market rates ($14M+) or they already would’ve done so. Zimmer has a track record of turning late round picks and UDFAs into very good safeties (Harris, Sendejo, Kearse when he got the chance to play, Iloka back in Cincinnati). Harris will be turning 30 next year. I doubt they’ll break the bank to keep him  

I think they’d like to keep Cook on the team but they’re apparently offering him ~$10M AAV. They’re in decent shape at RB even if he moves on.

6 minutes ago, Krauser said:

No, not at all.

2nd round pick for blue chip player on a 1 year deal is a good deal, made all the time. Where teams get in trouble is sending multiple 1sts (like Mack, Adams or Ramsey). A 2nd rounder (likely in the bottom half of the round) isn’t nearly that high a cost.

They do have the cap space to re-sign Ngakoue, and will be planning to do so. Whether he gets paid more or less than $20M is probably determined by how well he does this year.

They probably don’t plan to extend Harris at market rates ($14M+) or they already would’ve done so. Zimmer has a track record of turning late round picks and UDFAs into very good safeties (Harris, Sendejo, Kearse when he got the chance to play, Iloka back in Cincinnati). Harris will be turning 30 next year. I doubt they’ll break the bank to keep him  

I think they’d like to keep Cook on the team but they’re apparently offering him ~$10M AAV. They’re in decent shape at RB even if he moves on.

Story for all RBs.  I honestly don't think that you pay for a RB, unless you think he is a generational talent.  We are facing the same thing with Aaron Jones.  Sure, you want to keep that player. You just have to pay that guy last.  

I think you also make the sacrifice to other positions if you have a guy that gets 8 sacks per year, every year.  Maybe your 2nd round pick turns into a better player.  But I would bet that every GM would trade a 2nd for an 8 sack per season player.  We just paid the Smiths and neither of them had a better season than Ngakoue had in 2017, before we paid them.  I would trade a 2nd for any of those guys. 

Damn, Derwin James to miss significant time.  Did he have injury issues in college? If so, great move by Gute.  Hall of Fame talent and putting it together on the field isn’t worth much if you’re never on the field.

Still sucks.  I became a fan of football because of the safety position.  Sucks to see one so great miss so much time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A one year rental on any player at any price right before a year in which the salary cap is going to drop (potentially precipitously) would make me nervous. 

Packers have a few players they could trade heading into their contract years. Bakhtiari’s probably worth more than a 1st, King might net a 2nd or 3rd, and Linsley something like a 4th.

Given that any of those 3 who leave next year as UFAs will effectively have been a one year rental in 2020, are you wanting GB to cash in on that potential draft capital by trading them this week? The cap savings could be rolled over next year making the 2021 cap much easier to manage.

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

Packers have a few players they could trade heading into their contract years. Bakhtiari’s probably worth more than a 1st, King might net a 2nd or 3rd, and Linsley something like a 4th.

Given that any of those 3 who leave next year as UFAs will effectively have been a one year rental in 2020, are you wanting GB to cash in on that potential draft capital by trading them this week? The cap savings could be rolled over next year making the 2021 cap much easier to manage.

If the season is cancelled in week 5, I will edit this post to say, "trade them all!" 

We are going to be running close to the cap pretty soon.  I think the consensus is extend Bakhtiari.  Let Linsley and Aaron Jones leave as FAs.  Play Kevin King as it lies.  King certainly has the potential to break the bank.  It may be too expensive to keep him, especially when you look ahead and know you have to pay Alexander pretty soon as well.  

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If the season is cancelled in week 5, I will edit this post to say, "trade them all!" 

We are going to be running close to the cap pretty soon.  I think the consensus is extend Bakhtiari.  Let Linsley and Aaron Jones leave as FAs.  Play Kevin King as it lies.  King certainly has the potential to break the bank.  It may be too expensive to keep him, especially when you look ahead and know you have to pay Alexander pretty soon as well.  

I'd rather have the Packers cap situation and roster than the Vikings now and down the road.  Will be a good "watch" for the next few years for sure.