NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Gruden and Mayock must be the anti-Ted/Gute when it comes to ILB. This offseason they signed Littleton and Kwiatkowski. Now trading for McMillan.

That's partly because the Raiders are running a 4-3 and Packers are running a 3-4. Aka, they're not all going to be at ILB, as one or two of them will be 4-3 OLB.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Gruden and Mayock must be the anti-Ted/Gute when it comes to ILB. This offseason they signed Littleton and Kwiatkowski. Now trading for McMillan.

I know you didn't say anything about him but you can't possibly be a fan of his. He's everything we've bitched about with our ILBs.

• Like 2

Adam Schefter -  Jaguars agreed to trade franchise DE Yannick Ngakoue to Minnesota for a second- and conditional fifth-round pick that could go as high a third-round pick, league sources tell ESPN. Ngakoue still has to sign his tender, but trade is in place and Ngakoue is expected to be a Viking.

• Peter Bukowski -   I guess we know why they were fine letting Everson Griffen walk. Trading for Ngakoue either means the Vikings know this is a rental and don’t care because they’re trying to win now, or they’re picking him over Dalvin Cook. Especially with the salary cap likely to plummet, going to be hard to pay both.
  • Tom Pelissero -  Vikings DE Danielle Hunter hasn't practiced in two weeks for precautionary reasons, but isn't expected to miss extended time. So it'll be Hunter on one side and Yannick Ngakoue on the other for Minnesota's D-line in 2020.
  • Andy Herman -  Yannick Ngakoue, Danielle Hunter, Robert Quinn, Khalil Mack, Za’Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Tre Flowers You best have some very good OT’s in the NFC North.
Edited by Leader

PFT -   Yannick Ngakoue trade raises more questions about Danielle Hunter.

Some have wondered aloud whether Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter‘s extended absence from practice represents, at its core, an effort by Hunter to get more money from the team. If there’s anything to it, the team’s stunning decision to trade for defensive end Yannick Ngakoue definitely won’t resolve those concerns.

Ngakoue will make $17.88 million this year, if he signs his franchise tender and the trade that will send him to Minnesota goes through. Hunter, who had $8 million in salary converted to a restructuring bonus earlier this year, will make another $3.4 million in salary. That’s a total 2020 payout to $11.4 million; more than $6 million less than Ngakoue and nearly $16 million less than the new-money average paid out by the Chargers to defensive end Joey Bosa.

In all, Hunter’s deal averages $14.4 million per year. He’s signed through 2024.

The other possibility is that the “tweak” (as described by Vikings coach Mike Zimmer) is actually something more than that, and that Ngakoue could become not a complement but a replacement for Hunter this season.

Courtney Cronin -   The Vikings still need to create cap room. I'm hearing LT Riley Reiff could be a prime candidate for a restructure (has a $13.2 million cap hit), but cutting him would be a risky move since 2nd rounder Ezra Cleveland has been at LG throughout camp.

• Ross Uglem -  This is a lot to get done for potentially a one-year rental when they probably could have squeezed about the same amount of production out of Griffen, tbh.

36 minutes ago, Leader said:

Courtney Cronin -   The Vikings still need to create cap room. I'm hearing LT Riley Reiff could be a prime candidate for a restructure (has a $13.2 million cap hit), but cutting him would be a risky move since 2nd rounder Ezra Cleveland has been at LG throughout camp.

• Ross Uglem -  This is a lot to get done for potentially a one-year rental when they probably could have squeezed about the same amount of production out of Griffen, tbh.

Hard to see anyone releasing decent OTs in the NFC North right now.

I agree that they probably could have gotten the same or more out of Griffen, especially considering being physical and run defense aren't things Yannick Ngakoue like to do.

I agree with some of the tweets suggestions giving Ngakoue the contract he wants is just going to upset Hunter (who's better but being paid 2/3rd the cost). Which brings up the question, can the Vikings.maoe both happy? Or are they planning on one to leave?

32 minutes ago, Beast said:

Hard to see anyone releasing decent OTs in the NFC North right now.

I agree that they probably could have gotten the same or more out of Griffen, especially considering being physical and run defense aren't things Yannick Ngakoue like to do.

I agree with some of the tweets suggestions giving Ngakoue the contract he wants is just going to upset Hunter (who's better but being paid 2/3rd the cost). Which brings up the question, can the Vikings.maoe both happy? Or are they planning on one to leave?

Hunter is signed for 3-4 more years.

Ifeadi Odenigbo would actually be the one gone after this season, being the 3rd DE. He filled in nicely last year for Griffen.

Speaking of Griffen, yes likely you get similar production out of them, but given Griffen's age in comparison to Ngakoue, it makes sense to go with the younger player. The bigger issue is going back to the first point, getting a deal done in 2021.

Edited by SteelKing728

Why is it that every team adds a pass rusher before playing the Packers in the season opener?

Good we play them before Yannick gets back to football shape and caught up with the Vikings defensive scheme. 

A second round pick is too much for a player making 17 million.  Yannick took a pay cut down to 13 million.  A second round pick is still too much for that. 

Ngakoue will be a 26-year-old EDGE rusher hitting unrestricted free agency.  The Vikings don't have the cap space to tag him, and they certainly don't have the cap space to re-sign him, so they just gave up a second round pick for a one year rental it seems, or a multi-year rental that will cost them Harris and Cook. 

Like the trade for Minny. A 2nd round pick is nothing for a premium pass rusher. Steal in that regard, the issue moreso for Minny is future cap. Yannick is going to be very expensive to resign so Minny probably has to walk feom a few other guys to pay him, maybe even Cook.

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Why is it that every team adds a pass rusher before playing the Packers in the season opener?

Good we play them before Yannick gets back to football shape and caught up with the Vikings defensive scheme. 

A second round pick is too much for a player making 17 million.  Yannick took a pay cut down to 13 million.  A second round pick is still too much for that. 

Ngakoue will be a 26-year-old EDGE rusher hitting unrestricted free agency.  The Vikings don't have the cap space to tag him, and they certainly don't have the cap space to re-sign him, so they just gave up a second round pick for a one year rental it seems, or a multi-year rental that will cost them Harris and Cook. 

Eh.  Don't pay a RB, ever.  Get a new one.  And I think you sacrifice a good safety for a good pass rusher every time.  

I don't think they are totally up a creek.  Just at a cursory glance, they can save money on Rudolph, Reiff is a FA in 2022, I think Cousins has adjusted his contract 23 times.  They will have to draft well to stay competitive, but that is the story of the NFL.

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Eh.  Don't pay a RB, ever.  Get a new one.  And I think you sacrifice a good safety for a good pass rusher every time.  

I don't think they are totally up a creek.  Just at a cursory glance, they can save money on Rudolph, Reiff is a FA in 2022, I think Cousins has adjusted his contract 23 times.  They will have to draft well to stay competitive, but that is the story of the NFL.

I definitely agree, but it's not sacrificing a RB, it's not sacrificing a safety.  It's sacrificing a RB, a safety AND a second round pick for a pass rusher. 

It's the Mack thing again.  With Mack, we would have sacrificed Preston Smith, Z. Smith, Adrian Amos, Rashan Gary and Darnell Savage for Mack.

I don't care how elite the player is, there is no player elite enough outside of the QB position worth 4 good players.  There sure as hell isn't a pass rusher elite enough to sacrifice two good players, one elite player and one player with elite potential. 

• Like 1