NFL News & Notes

Leader

In my opinion, Fournette was never the same player after suffering through ankle injuries in 2016 at LSU. He was absolutely dynamic in 2015 when he ran for nearly 2000 yards. I think he entered the NFL as damaged goods and never should have been drafted that high. 

36 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I mean...he had 1700 all purpose yards last season so I don't think he was cut due to ability

1700 on 330+ touches isn't really anything special...I think the story with him is more Jax knew they could get his production with a platoon of mid round/cheap guys. They already declined his 5th year, so it was probably getting a little toxic.

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

I'd rather have the Packers cap situation and roster than the Vikings now and down the road.  Will be a good "watch" for the next few years for sure.

I think I would too.  Both teams are in the higher end of spending for the next couple of seasons.  We are going to have to give up Linsley and Jones.  In an uncapped world, they would re-sign them in a heartbeat.  

My honest thought is that the biggest differences between the rosters is that I like the Packers OL a heck of a lot more than the Vikings, and Jordan Love gives us at least a plan for QB in the coming seasons.  The Vikings do not have such a player.  We all know that there is no guarantee of anything with Love, but the plan is is place.  

• Like 1

Catching up....

Yannick to the Vikes.  Hated seeing this.  I don't feel like they gave up all that much in draft compensation.  But, signing him long term is the question...and if they do get him done, all that does it take resources away from other spots.

I'd rather they go this route, as an opponent, as opposed to investing more into the offensive line and corner position.

But either way you look at it, they got a quality player.  We shall see how it shakes out in the future, but for now, they improved big time.

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think I would too.  Both teams are in the higher end of spending for the next couple of seasons.  We are going to have to give up Linsley and Jones.  In an uncapped world, they would re-sign them in a heartbeat.  

My honest thought is that the biggest differences between the rosters is that I like the Packers OL a heck of a lot more than the Vikings, and Jordan Love gives us at least a plan for QB in the coming seasons.  The Vikings do not have such a player.  We all know that there is no guarantee of anything with Love, but the plan is is place.  

Yah still win games in the trenches.  OL and DL are very valuable.  GB has the better o-line and a great foundation to the DL with Clark.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Jordan Love gives us at least a plan for QB in the coming seasons.  The Vikings do not have such a player.  We all know that there is no guarantee of anything with Love, but the plan is is place.  

For better or worse, the Vikings plan is to keep Cousins at QB for the long term. He's 32 this year, without any long-term injury concerns. His game should age well. 

Unless Love earns a second contract with the Packers, there's a good chance Cousins will be starting in Minnesota even after GB has moved on from Love.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I'd rather they go this route, as an opponent, as opposed to investing more into the offensive line and corner position.

Even after adding Ngakoue the Vikings have invested less at edge than GB has, with two premium UFA contracts for the Smiths and Gary as a top 12 pick. Not that edge isn't important, but it's hard for Packers fans to fault the Vikings for overinvesting in the position.

MIN has two late 1st round picks at corner, plus a 3rd rounder and a UDFA who might've been a day 2 pick if he hadn't been suspended for THC. That's a comparable investment to the Packers CB group. The Vikings group is unproven but it's not like the team didn't add talent at the position.

They've also invested a lot into the OL with a 1st rounder, two 2nds, an early 3rd and multiple day 3 picks, all taken within the last 4 drafts. The problem isn't a lack of investment, it's that aside from O'Neill the players they've added have failed to meet expectations. 

Given the Vikings track record, it's a safe bet that their young corners will be pretty good and their young OL will be pretty bad.

6 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Given the Vikings track record, it's a safe bet that their young corners will be pretty good and their young OL will be pretty bad.

What do you think needs to happen for that to change?  Is it the OL coach? Is this a blind spot from the GM/scouting department?

15 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Unless Love earns a second contract with the Packers, there's a good chance Cousins will be starting in Minnesota even after GB has moved on from Love.

I'll believe that when I see it.

Raiders signed CB Prince Amukamara for 1 year, less than $2 million, and released him... this is after the Bears released him.

What's wrong with Prince Amukama?

And would he be better than Josh Jackson or Sullivan? But really they'd just be kicking the 6th CB off. Also Tramon Williams is still unsigned if they wanted to sign a vet. But Price was for less than 2 million.

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What do you think needs to happen for that to change?  Is it the OL coach? Is this a blind spot from the GM/scouting department?

Hopefully the DB were good because of their coaching, as we got their DB coach now lol, but the CBs are talking highly of him.

As for OL, hopefully that wasn't their coach, as they got a new OL coach now, Rick Dennison whom has been with Gary Kubiak a good bit.

47 minutes ago, Krauser said:

43 minutes ago, Beast said:

Raiders signed CB Prince Amukamara for 1 year, less than $2 million, and released him... this is after the Bears released him.

What's wrong with Prince Amukama?

And would he be better than Josh Jackson or Sullivan? But really they'd just be kicking the 6th CB off. Also Tramon Williams is still unsigned if they wanted to sign a vet. But Price was for less than 2 million.

If you can't thrive as a corner in Chicago's scheme....well....you are cooked.